• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago - Can you still hug him at the Cathedral?

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
Anyone who has recently arrived in Santiago, is it now possible to climb up behind the altar in the cathedral & hug the saint? 🤗🤗

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Post COVID this was closed to Peregrinos/visitors. It was closed in March when I was last there.
I'm going to need you to explain the whole thing. People actually traipse about the altar and touch things?
.....Nevermind, I googled it in the middle of posting this. I had no idea that was a thing. I'll try to make a mental note for next year. lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm going to need you to explain the whole thing. People actually traipse about the altar and touch things?
.....Nevermind, I googled it in the middle of posting this. I had no idea that was a thing. I'll try to make a mental note for next year. lol
On my first camino when I arrived in Santiago you could still put your hands in the statue in the front of the cathedral. The front was open then. It seems to be closed almost all the time now and you have to go in the sides. I don't know why but when I hugged St. James it was really a moving moment for me. Hope you have the opportunity to do it one day.

On my first camino when I arrived in Santiago you could still put your hands in the statue in the front of the cathedral. The front was open then. It seems to be closed almost all the time now and you have to go in the sides. I don't know why but when I hugged St. James it was really a moving moment for me. Hope you have the opportunity to do it one day.
I'll try to remember when I walk again next year!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a friend there now and it doesn't seem to be open to hug Santiago. Masks are no longer required today. What is the issue with another restriction on traditional pilgrim practice? I confess this is irksome! It seems unnecessary. It's been closed since the interior was restored. Is this permanent? Anybody know?

As of November 23Rd of this year. The door to hug Santiago remains closed. I don’t see any reason for this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Masks are no longer required in the cathedral and very few people wore one, I did. Hugging the saint is probably incredibly low for transmission.

I believe you are still only allowed to go down to see the relic box of St James, but not climb the stairs behind the altar.

Also, for everyone going in to the Cathedral - please remember to bring a mask. It's one of the places that still requires one.
Yes - this was my experience both Caminos (July 2021 and June 2022). And I can confirm that yes, you can go down to see the relic box but not climb the stairs. And yes - mask was still required - although I can't confirm if that is still true.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been reluctant to contribute as what I'm about to say is my opinion rather than fact. I would be very surprised if hug access is granted again. The restoration work on the cathedral has been enormous and i imagine at an enormous cost. Looking at the statue of St James in the altar and his silver (?) shawl, it appears much brighter and cleaner than it was in the past. If visitors were allowed to hug and touch the statue as they did in the past, it would not remain in its restored state for very long. I doubt that this would be allowed to happen. While hugging the statue was a tradition and may have been meaningful for past pilgrims, it would not have been good or healthy for the statue/coverings.
The cathedral is a the caretaker of a huge amount of cultural and religious heritage and take that responsibility very seriously as far as i can see. Some practices that were not perceived as harmful in the past would no longer be allowed now that we understand the long term damage e.g. Touching the portico of glory etc

This is my interpretation though and not based on firm facts!

The restoration work on the cathedral has been enormous and i imagine at an enormous cost. Looking at the statue of St James in the altar and his silver (?) shawl, it appears much brighter and cleaner than it was in the past. If visitors were allowed to hug and touch the statue as they did in the past, it would not remain in its restored state for very long.
The current silver cape is a fairly recent version from 2004. The previous very worn cape was placed in the cathedral museum and a replica installed. I see no good reason why the tradition of a hug for the apostle should not continue with a new cape from time to time when necessary.

The current silver cape is a fairly recent version from 2004. The previous very worn cape was placed in the cathedral museum and a replica installed. I see no good reason why the tradition of a hug for the apostle should not continue with a new cape from time to time when necessary.

I've been reluctant to contribute as what I'm about to say is my opinion rather than fact. I would be very surprised if hug access is granted again. The restoration work on the cathedral has been enormous and i imagine at an enormous cost. Looking at the statue of St James in the altar and his silver (?) shawl, it appears much brighter and cleaner than it was in the past. If visitors were allowed to hug and touch the statue as they did in the past, it would not remain in its restored state for very long. I doubt that this would be allowed to happen. While hugging the statue was a tradition and may have been meaningful for past pilgrims, it would not have been good or healthy for the statue/coverings.
The cathedral is a the caretaker of a huge amount of cultural and religious heritage and take that responsibility very seriously as far as i can see. Some practices that were not perceived as harmful in the past would no longer be allowed now that we understand the long term damage e.g. Touching the portico of glory etc

This is my interpretation though and not based on firm facts!
I've hugged the saint at the end of a couple of previous Camino journeys so was sad to see the doors firmly shut last week when I arrived again at the completion of the Portugues route. I should have asked someone in the know, but with all the restoration work that has been completed in recent years I concur with SioCamino's comment..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone who has recently arrived in Santiago, is it now possible to climb up behind the altar in the cathedral & hug the saint? 🤗🤗

No. I was able to do that in 2014 when I got to Santiago but I was just there in April (2023) and it was closed off.

Haha, yes. That was the tradition, hug the statue, then go down the crypt to see reliquary of St James. But during the pandemic, they stopped it. I do hope I get to do it again this autumn.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was there in October 2021 and was told the prohibition on touching was to be permanent. The concern was preservation of the Saint's statue.
First we can no longer put our hand into the handprint. Now we can no longer hug the saint. I understand that it is really about visiting the relics. But I think there is something that really touches us as humans to have a tactile ritual to mark our arrival. Someone will have to figure out something tactile to replace what is lost.

First we can no longer put our hand into the handprint. Now we can no longer hug the saint.
I miss those things too. But even more I miss just being able to walk up those steps and end my Camino by walking through the Portico da Gloria into the nave of the cathedral as the cathedral builders intended.

There was no one behind me when I hugged St. James in 2018, so I took a couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    976.5 KB · Views: 47
June 29, 2023 almost no line this morning. You can go in the left side door, descend down to see the bones in their silver sarcophagus, then climb up and hug the statue of St. James. The sign recommends you do not put your face on him or kiss him.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back