• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the construction of Santiago Cathedral finished? Are there any pilgrim masses being held?

Circle56

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2015)
Camino Francés (2020)
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if work has been completed on the Santiago cathedral? I have seen YouTubes that show the scaffolding outside is down.
Are pilgrim masses being held at the cathedral again?
Plan to be in Santiago in April and looking forward to a mass there.
Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The scaffolding has been down since at least 2018.
And yes, mass is being held in the Cathedral.
I believe that a lot of those renovations were done in advance if the holy year of 2021.

Great. Thanks for your speedy reply. Looking forward to visiting churches and cathedrals along the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes indeed Mass is again being celebrated in the Cathedral.
There are also masses in many of the churches in Santiago.
also of interest to English speaking pilgrims there is Mass celebrated in English at 10.30 in the chapel in the Pilgrim Office. Buen Camino to you.

Great. Thanks for your speedy reply. Looking forward to visiting churches and cathedrals along the way.
You'll be lucky to find a church open, unless it's a Sunday and a service about to start. Just about every church I passed on several caminos was locked. Cathedrals were usually open. There was often an admission charge, reduced on production of a credencial.

Looking forward to seeing the Santiago cathedral again. Thanks for all your work.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The situation at Santiago Cathedral is that the renovation project is almost completed. As a worker on the project, I can say that it has been an exciting and challenging experience. The job has required a great deal of skill and attention to detail, but I am proud to say that my team and I have done an excellent job.
How did you become involved, Michael?

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.