• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Cathedral Restoration Completion

TDS

Time of past OR future Camino
If anyone is aware of the definitive schedule for start and completion of the restoration of the interior of the Santiago Cathedral, can you please post it here. I'm most interested in the period of time the cathedral will be closed for pilgrim masses and moved elsewhere. Also, is the schedule with any updates of the closure posted anywhere on the internet?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good post, when I was there I noticed that on some of the main pillars where the Botafumeiro swings; that there appeared to be some of the original paintwork. It kind of spiralled up the columns and from memory it was a faded green colour. My additional question is, does anyone know if they will be restoring it to it's former glory or whitewashing it..... or worse Screenshot_20180715-233933_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
I am at Santiago now, working at the Pilgrim Office through mid-August. The Cathedral is open. The main altar is in full use, including the Botafumeiro, as per standard policy.

The scaffolding is GONE from the front facade, the West side. There is some work being finished on the front portico and stairs that does not require scaffolding.

This main entry cannot be used yet as the artists are finishing the restoration and authentic painting of the faces on the medieval statues at the Cathedral entry and the Portico of Glory. Until the artisans are done, the main entry cannot be used. But I presume they are trying to get it done as fast as possible. The few statues I CAN see over the plastic fence are AMAZING.

There are some remaining renovations being done on the canopy over the crypt containing the relics of Santiago. There is some residual scaffolding and safety netting. But this does not affect using the main altar.

The main cupola, over the main altar has a safety net, as work on the dome is being finished. But this, also, does not affect using the main altar or the Botafumeiro.

I do not know the exact schedule for finishing the remaining work. I DO know they are trying to wrap it up in time for this year’s Feast if Santiago on 25 July. That is some 8 or 9 days away.

We shall see...

The Cathedral looks magnificent having been thoroughly cleaned, all the stonework regrouted / repointed and all the statuary and gargoyles restored.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If anyone is aware of the definitive schedule for start and completion of the restoration of the interior of the Santiago Cathedral, can you please post it here. I'm most interested in the period of time the cathedral will be closed for pilgrim masses and moved elsewhere. Also, is the schedule with any updates of the closure posted anywhere on the internet?
I'm looking for this info too so i can plan a 2019 Camino1

I am at Santiago now, working at the Pilgrim Office through mid-August. The Cathedral is open. The main altar is in full use, including the Botafumeiro, as per standard policy.

The scaffolding is GONE from the front facade, the West side. There is some work being finished on the front portico and stairs that does not require scaffolding.

This main entry cannot be used yet as the artists are finishing the restoration and authentic painting of the faces on the medieval statues at the Cathedral entry and the Portico of Glory. Until the artisans are done, the main entry cannot be used. But I presume they are trying to get it done as fast as possible. The few statues I CAN see over the plastic fence are AMAZING.

There are some remaining renovations being done on the canopy over the crypt containing the relics of Santiago. There is some residual scaffolding and safety netting. But this does not affect using the main altar.

The main cupola, over the main altar has a safety net, as work on the dome is being finished. But this, also, does not affect using the main altar or the Botafumeiro.

I do not know the exact schedule for finishing the remaining work. I DO know they are trying to wrap it up in time for this year’s Feast if Santiago on 25 July. That is some 8 or 9 days away.

We shall see...

The Cathedral looks magnificent having been thoroughly cleaned, all the stonework regrouted / repointed and all the statuary and gargoyles restored.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, any idea where we could obtain the restoration schedule and when, if ever, the Pilgrim's mass may be held outside the Cathedral? Does anyone in the Pilgrim's Office have such info? Thanks.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
yes i saw that posting. My understanding is this: they were going to do internal work (pausing the botafumeiro ) over the summer, but decided to delay this until fall (so as not to discourage pilgrims in summer season. So my questions are (1) when do they expect to start interior reno work, with services in other cathedrals and (2) when do they expect it to conclude, and resume services incl the botafumeiro ? Or, are you saying that is all done now?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I need to defer to someone from the Forum now at Santiago. I went into tourist mode with my wife this past Monday. In Pamplona now. Drove to SJPdP for the day, just to have lunch at Orisson...the view that does not stop...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back