• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Santiago closes down today (Fri Oct 30) from 15.00

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
As feared, Santiago will close down today at 3pm. It is unclear what/if there are exceptions to this. More will be known later as the day goes on and tomorrow.

Added later: it looks like this lockdown is until Tuesday. But the situation is not great, so not surprised if it goes on longer.

For now:

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Ivar, is it just for the holiday weekend?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As feared, Santiago will close down today at 3pm. It is unclear what/if there are exceptions to this. More will be known later as the day goes on and tomorrow.

Added later: it looks like this lockdown is until Tuesday. But the situation is not great, so not surprised if it goes on longer.

For now:
Thank you, Ivar.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

For now:

Hostels and hotels stay open, right?

This is just the borders of the specified areas being closed, right?

it's a perimeter lockdown of the city until Tuesday. Started at 3pm today Friday and ends Tuesday, not sure at what time. HOWEVER, it may be extended on Tuesday if there isn't a significant improvement in covid cases.

note that all the major cities in Galicia have been confined in the same manner and, bar Ourense, until the same date. Tis includes Pontevedra and Vigo on the CP, A Coruña and Ferrol on the CI and Lugo on the CPr.

businesses are open within the city, closing with the curfew. but things change daily, so who knows... no idea if the Pilgrim Office is planning to stay open...

it's a perimeter lockdown of the city until Tuesday. Started at 3pm today Friday and ends Tuesday, not sure at what time. HOWEVER, it may be extended on Tuesday if there isn't a significant improvement in covid cases.
The decree has been published now, see here for the version in Castellano https://www.xunta.gal/dog/Publicados/excepcional/2020/20201030/2474/AnuncioC3B0-301020-1_es.pdf .

It takes effect at 3 pm on 30 October 2020 but I can't see an end date (my Spanish is poor, though). Just that the situation will be continuously monitored and revised within a period of maximum 7 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The news was spread around that pilgrims could go in to get a compostella, but had to leave the same day, without sleeping in SdC. Could anyone confirm if that is the case or not?
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The news was spread around that pilgrims could go in to get a compostella, but had to leave the same day, without sleeping in SdC. Could anyone confirm if that is the case or not?
Thanks!
I would read the pdf above from the Xunta... if nothing is mentioned there about pilgrims, then pilgrims can not enter Santiago. I am on mobile now, but will see if I can read it myself later.

The decree has been published now, see here for the version in Castellano https://www.xunta.gal/dog/Publicados/excepcional/2020/20201030/2474/AnuncioC3B0-301020-1_es.pdf .

It takes effect at 3 pm on 30 October 2020 but I can't see an end date (my Spanish is poor, though). Just that the situation will be continuously monitored and revised within a period of maximum 7 days.
you're right, in the decree there's nothing about it ending tuesday, however, the conselleiro de sanidade specifically said today at the press briefing that the lockdown would be revised by tuesday.

in any case, as things are developing here in spain, i definitely would not count on it being lifted next week.

Buen Camino and good luck if you happen to be on the Camino
Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 19.09.11.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks!
There doesn’t seem to be anything official, just some “confusion” on the official side.

This Saturday morning, various Galician news media have articles about the current situation of pilgrims in Galicia, including quotes from the mayor of Santiago and quotes from “sources” in the regional Galician government.

I’m not certain that it’s worth quoting anything. Search Google News of today for peregrinos Santiago for example (Europa Press and Correo Gallego have something). In any case, 135 Compostelas were given out on Friday.

It’s hard not to express an opinion in the current situation, both about people on the move and the handling of restrictions on movement but I’m trying to keep mum 🤬. I am just mum but not yet red in the face. ☺️

Last edited:

€60,-
The Camino are public footpaths and roads so cannot be closed down.
A friend on mine on the camino Portuguese had to turn back and return to Porto in March as the border was closed and crossing at TUI prohibited - so I think you will find they can and have been closed before.

Thanks for the up to date info I'm now in Galicia so will keep heading towards Santiago. My understanding is that Santiago is shut over the holiday and then will be decided on Tuesday whether it will open or not. To all others trying to complete, buen Camino.

The Camino are public footpaths and roads so cannot be closed down.
Why do some people think they can disregard the health and safety of others in a country they don't even live in. That is totally nuts!!! Anthikes says they are walking the Norte next April and don't care about the shut down, insanity!!!

Exactly which closed the camino - also pilgrims had to reroute on the northern camino near Ribadeo earlier in the Summer. Your earlier point is factually incorrect. Your opinion or mine on the virus is immaterial.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anthikes says they are walking the Norte next April and don't care about the shut down, insanity!!!
They reacted to this with a 🤣 .
Anyone who has lost a loved one to covid might not find this so funny. A lot of us have, and I hope you don't @anthikes...
Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks for the up to date info I'm now in Galicia so will keep heading towards Santiago. My understanding is that Santiago is shut over the holiday and then will be decided on Tuesday whether it will open or not. To all others trying to complete, buen Camino.
We are also now in Galicia, hoping to be in Santiago on Friday.

For now:
I feel even more blessed that I walked the Camino when I did. My thoughts are wiith you and everyone iin Spain and elsewhere who are being affected by the pandemic.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

For now:
Many thanks for the updates Ivar.

Stay safe and well 👍

We have already shelved 2021 , the first time in 12 yrs we have not walked on a Camino in Spain/France or Portugal.
If there is a dose that arrives within a few months , Feb 2021, we will return according to the Boss
She has indicated Le Puy with the better accommodation options in the country side as her preferred choice , if so we finish in Santo Domingo De la Calzada or get to Bayonne and do very slowly what we intended this year The Baztan .

We got chopped up in Melbourne because we took our eye off the ball , so
Sy , Ivar and staff stay safe and vigilant for heavens sake.

For now:
Stay safe out there.....😉

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

For now:
As a 2018 Portuguese pilgrim I was looking forward to my Oct 2020 trek, unfortunately this will not happen this year but next year, I hope. Stay safe everyone - this is a serious virus. Thank you Ivar for your continued updates and I look forward to meeting up in 2021.

They reacted to this with a 🤣 .
Anyone who has lost a loved one to covid might not find this so funny. A lot of us have, and I hope you don't @anthikes...
Maybe I am missing something.

I do sympathise, but being annoyed on the internet’s a bit like Lear railing against the wind or Canute demonstrating his inability to control the tide.

Those with an ounce of common sense get it. There will always be others.

Is there any prediction of lockdowns first Christmas to New Year In Santiago? I was planning to walk the Camino del invierno or Sanabres from 21/12-31/12 to be in Santiago on New Years Eve. How is the Hotelsituation on the caminos and in Santiago?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Is there any prediction of lockdowns first Christmas to New Year In Santiago? I was planning to walk the Camino del invierno or Sanabres from 21/12-31/12 to be in Santiago on New Years Eve. How is the Hotelsituation on the caminos and in Santiago?
Have a look at the Lockdowns thread, although we need to recognize that any "prediction" of lockdowns will be less reliable than predictions of weather during that period.

You are not allowed to move freely around Galicia as it is right now. You are not allowed to walk into Santiago for example. I would hold off a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back