• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela Accommodation

3MS

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Camino Frances SJPDP to SDC May-June 2023
Hi I'm a Manny from Australia. I appreciate if someone could tell me the current situation for tourist accommodation in Santiago.
I booked an accommodation via AirBnB for our group of 6 for 15-17 June 2023. Me and a friend will be doing the CF and finishing 15 June 2023 and the rest of our group will be meeting up in Santiago on the said date.
Surprisingly the AirBnB host message me advising the our booking need to be cancel due to the city is closing all tourist dwellings. Didn't explain it further but we cancelled the booking as per the instruction. Can someone explain? What about the pilgrims arriving in Santiago now or still to arrive and those who have already booked their Camino, like myself. Are they going to be affected?

Your advise please. thank you.

Manny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If this is correct then I think it would be to do with restrictions on AirBnB, not tourist accommodation generally. I can't imagine that all accommodation would be closed, even during the direst stages of the pandemic that did not happen.

In Spain as in other places there has been push back against AirBnB. Some think that it is restricting the supply of rental dwellings for locals.

If this is correct then I think it would be to do with restrictions on AirBnB, not tourist accommodation generally. I can't imagine that all accommodation would be closed, even during the direst stages of the pandemic that did not happen.

In Spain as in other places there has been push back against AirBnB. Some think that it is restricting the supply of rental dwellings for locals.
Hi Kanga, thank you for the input. I agree, the City probably limit or discourage AirBnB dwellings within the City. Tourist have no options thatn expensive hotels..hehehehe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, and it is ok, to push out AirBnB of "touristical" cities!
Without AirBnB, as the latest research stated, rental dwellings in Berlin/Germany, i.e., would be up to 30% less in monthly rent! Same for most other touristical cities in Germany.

If you want to rent out to tourists, start a hotel business ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think that maybe @ivar mentioned it before.
I found this from Ivar explaining the updated rules on short term rentals.

Yes, I know exactly what is going on.

People who have offered places on AirBNB in Santiago need to have 2 licenses to be able to rent out on a day by day basis. One from the Xunta (regional government) and one from the town of Santiago. This is due to that the local governments are try to avoid Santiago becoming a new "Venice" (100% tourists living there, no locals).

Many apartments in Santiago has gotten the one licence from the Xunta, but not the one from the town of Santiago. The town was much more restrictive in giving out this license than the Xunta... There has been a legal dispute, and while the dispute has been going on, the ones with only one license has still been able to be open. Now, last week I think, the legal dispute has been resolved, and now the apartment need to have both licenses otherwise they might get a hefty fine.... so owners has started to cancel bookings...

Renting for a 1 month minimum is a way to avoid this, since no license is needed if the stay is 30 days or more.

I know all this, since I have been trying to rent out Casa Ivar on a day by day basis, but there is just no way... :)

All the best,
Ivar

I wish I could be of more help, but here is what I suggest: use the variety of websites including Gronze and Eroski for accommodation in Santiago. Contact individual albergues, private, as they allow booking. One I know, The Last Stamp. They have, or had, excellent simple communal rooms and a great kitchen. Their price was very reasonable in 2013. It is within a 10 minute trot of the Cathedral. There is of course the Seminario very close to the Cathedral, with either pilgrim or tourist rates.
It may seem to be a mountain to climb , but breathe deeply, and step by step you will be ok, and find something for your small group of six. Hopefully!

These and other types of restrictions are happening in other cities too, as governments grapple with housing crises. It’s a problem in popular tourist destinations the world over.

The measure are aimed at addressing the issue of local people being priced out of their own town where properties that previously were available to them to rent on a long term basis are now being used as Airbnb or similar short term rentals.

Imagine being priced out of your town to the point you can’t afford to live there anymore due to the proliferation of short term rentals. Something has to give 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
PS @3MS I do hope you and your group can find something suitable. These restrictions, while trying to address a serious housing issue, are creating challenges for pilgrims and other visitors.

As @Kirkie says, you may have success contacting some Albergues or casas directly. Let Gronze be your friend 😎.

Thank you for all your input. I saw an accommodation Infernino Apartment close to Cathedral for our group. This is via Booking.com Any feedback?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.