• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela Cathedral

tomlynum

Time of past OR future Camino
May 21, 2022
We are getting conflicting information on the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Is the cathedral open? Are pilgrims masses being held there? What day(s) will the Botafumerio take place?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It IS open. Pilgrim masses ARE taking place there. The Botafumeiro schedule varies depending upon Church Holy Days and if someone has sponsored it, so you will not know until it happens if it’s not a special day for the Catholic community.

Everything is pretty much back to normal except contrary to Spanish law you have to wear a mask in the cathedral and pilgrim office. It should take 20 minutes to get your compostela, unlike the come back tomorrow last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are getting conflicting information on the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Is the cathedral open? Are pilgrims masses being held there? What day(s) will the Botafumerio take place?
The Cathedral is open , you have to wear a mask inside.
There are 4 Masses every day , 07.30 , 09.30 , 12.00 and at 19.30 .
About the Botafumeiro go to Mas and let your self surprise 🙏🏻

Everything is pretty much back to normal except contrary to Spanish law you have to wear a mask in the cathedral and pilgrim office. It should take 20 minutes to get your compostela, unlike the come back tomorrow last year.
I'm not sure that's contrary to Spanish law. Private places can set their own rules.

I'm not sure that's contrary to Spanish law. Private places can set their own rules.
Of course it is not contrary to Spanish law!

And also, the security staff announces it dozen of times inside the Cathedral: Wear facemasks that cover nose and mouth, take your hat or cap off when you are a man, do not use a flash to take pictures with your camera or mobile phone, do not use your camera or mobile phone during pilgrim mass, leave the Cathedral while mass is ongoing and you do not participate, be quiet while visiting and walking around because you are in a church.

You can listen yourself to it. They have now live streaming of the pilgrim masses throughout the day:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Private places can set their own rules.
I don't know whether there is a difference between Anglo-Saxon derived law and European-Continental derived law. I do know that in at least some European countries churches have a proprietor's right that allows them to stipulate a few things that visitors have to comply with, and Spain is one of them. Of course, they are usually open and supertolerant and compassionate but they could throw you out or not let you in and they would be within their legal rights to do so. So, that may be a popular issue for debate elsewhere but not in Spain and in order to avoid disappointment as the saying goes, here's the information from the Cathedral of Santiago themselves:

Right of admission Cathedral.jpg

Last edited:
It should take 20 minutes to get your compostela, unlike the come back tomorrow last year.
Maybe, maybe not. There are a variety of experiences being reported. Those of us who are not there should refrain from offering our impressions from a distance, because what do we know? Nada. Just perceptions.

Maybe, maybe not. There are a variety of experiences being reported. Those of us who are not there should refrain from offering our impressions from a distance, because what do we know? Nada. Just perceptions.
The last few weeks the waiting time ranged from less than one minute to longer than an hour.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It took me 20 minutes when I completed the Portuguese a week or so ago, and others in my group did it faster. I'll be finishing the Inglés on Monday, so I'll share my experience then.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sure, pilgrims should not go to pilgrim mass at the Cathedral of Santiago just to watch the botafumeiro swing. But the advice to just let themselves by surprised (or not) is easier given by those who have seen it in action not only once but several times already. 😇

It has already been mentioned that there are four misa del peregrino every day: at 7:30, 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30. Having watched a few times in recent days in live streaming, I can say that it can swing at any time, even at 9:30. Mass at 12:00 and 19:30 is more likely an occasion for observing it but it is no guarantee, not even in this Holy Year where presumably more parochial groups travel to Santiago than in normal years as well as individuals who are also willing to donate a considerable sum to set this big censer in action.

Some of the feast days are coming up when the botafumeiro will swing as part of a Solemn Mass. From the Cathedral's website:
  • Lunes 23 de mayo – Fiesta de Clavijo. A las 19:30 h. Misa capitular. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 29 de mayo- Ascensión del Señor. A las 11:40 h. Procesión del Cabildo y Misa solemne presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

• Domingo 5 de junio – Pentecostés. A las 11:40 h. Procesión del cabildo y Misa solemne, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.
BTW, taking photos and videos of the swinging botafumeiro are apparent tolerated. However, at the beginning of EVERY pilgrim mass, an announcement is made that says: The use of cameras and mobile phones is forbidden. It is Mass, after all, from beginning to end.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back