• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Santiago de Compostela - Help to Help My Neighbours

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Help to Help My Neighbors

First of all, I am posting this with @ivar's permission here, despite the fact that I am really not a 'Camino Business'.

Second, the long story can be read here: http://egeria.house/egeria-house-version-3-or-so/

The short story is this:

Since I moved to Santiago in May 2017 there have always been people knocking at my door asking for food.

Pre-Covid that happened around 2-3 times a month.
Now it is a nearly daily occurrence.
Yes, Spain has a social security net.
Yes but, people are still falling through the gaps of it.

I provide, at the moment, two extended families (around 12-15 people in total) with additional food help plus face masks and hygiene products like soap and hand sanitizer.

My own income from freelance writing has done a deep dip with the pandemic, but so have my expenses ;-) So I really could do with some help to continue to help my neighbours.

There are the ones that begged around the cathedral and old town even pre-covid, the lock down and lack of visitors have hid them hard.

Donations are needed for:

Fresh fruit and vegetables
Face masks and hand soap
Salt-free/reduced-in-salt food for one of them with severe diabetes related health issues
Baby care products like wipes and diapers/nappies for both families's grand children
Pantry staples like tinned vegetables, pasta and everything that cooks quickly (power poverty!)

Something extra to make their Christmas less dire …

Thank you from Santiago de Compostela, SY

So, if you want me to help others, the PayPal link is https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/EgeriaHouseSantiago

If you want to venture in the realm of international bank transfer, please PM me.

Also, any questions, please ask them in a comment or via PM.

And, please stay physically apart from each other, so that when we can finally meet again – NOBODY is missing!

BC SY

Photo Captions of the neighbourhood pantry:

1. At the end of the week
2. Start of the week
3. Pick-up box for neighbours

Attachments

• 1DD2B6D2-1ABB-418A-8CCE-6D7AE1098BEE.jpg
    1DD2B6D2-1ABB-418A-8CCE-6D7AE1098BEE.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 83
  • FD1097FD-0C17-4A03-8474-A3A0B9EA3DD3.jpg
    FD1097FD-0C17-4A03-8474-A3A0B9EA3DD3.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 85
  • FB71194E-5D1F-48D7-988F-1B92747096A6.jpg
    FB71194E-5D1F-48D7-988F-1B92747096A6.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 90

SYates

Camino(s) past & future

Thanks everybody for your kind words and donations! And please, do NOT donate if you're struggling yourself.
I'll send everybody an email/PM over the next few days so that you know all has arrived safely.
Again, many muchas gracias for helping me to help others!

Hugs from Santiago, SY

john newman

Kiwi Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Le Puy (2016)
Vézelay (2019)
Norte (2019)
Done
I missed the opportunity to see you when I arrived in SDC last July (2019). I thought there would be other opportunities, now I’m not so sure.
Thank you for your work.
John

RicardoCostaMesa

Camino(s) past & future
Future(20??)

First of all, I am posting this with @ivar's permission here, despite the fact that I am really not a 'Camino Business'.

Second, the long story can be read here: http://egeria.house/egeria-house-version-3-or-so/

The short story is this:

Since I moved to Santiago in May 2017 there have always been people knocking at my door asking for food.

I provide, at the moment, two extended families (around 12-15 people in total) with additional food help plus face masks and hygiene products like soap and hand sanitizer.

My own income from freelance writing has done a deep dip with the pandemic, but so have my expenses ;-) So I really could do with some help to continue to help my neighbours.

There are the ones that begged around the cathedral and old town even pre-covid, the lock down and lack of visitors have hid them hard.

Face masks and hand soap
Salt-free/reduced-in-salt food for one of them with severe diabetes related health issues
Baby care products like wipes and diapers/nappies for both families's grand children
Pantry staples like tinned vegetables, pasta and everything that cooks quickly (power poverty!)

So, if you want me to help others, the PayPal link is https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/EgeriaHouseSantiago

If you want to venture in the realm of international bank transfer, please PM me.

And, please stay physically apart from each other, so that when we can finally meet again – NOBODY is missing!

BC SY

2. Start of the week
done... thanks for doing this!👍

Massey

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Finisterre, 2018 Sarria, 2018 Francés, 2019 Francés
I hope this buys some more manzanas!
This a big problem everywhere. I’m in a small group in the UK we try to help local charities.We recently had a zoom talk with a local headmaster,we were quite shocked to hear of problems some families are having. People are very generous and are very willing to help as we can also see here .

SYates

Camino(s) past & future

I hope this buys some more manzanas!
This a big problem everywhere. I’m in a small group in the UK we try to help local charities.We recently had a zoom talk with a local headmaster,we were quite shocked to hear of problems some families are having. People are very generous and are very willing to help as we can also see here .

Yes, the same problem everywhere, I am in contact with quite a few people that run small or big food banks in their own countries/towns and the message is always the same 'demand way up, donations down'. A school in Madrid, inner city, became a food bank for 2 000 families (with the help of local business people) because the head mistress couldn't bear it not to help, so she organized her school into a food bank.

My little neighbourhood pantry is obviously far, far smaller and I thank all of you that have already donated. I also would like you to know, whilst the need is obviously ongoing, and will be so for some time to come, thanks to your donations my neighbours are now safe food and face mask etc wise until well into the next year.
So, unless your are swimming in money and have nobody else to give it to - please stop donating to this cause now ;-)

Instead, please consider donating to your own local food bank (or increasing your donation if you're already doing so).

And, if you feel confident to do so and there is a need, do set up your own local, neighbourhood food bank.

All blessings and prayers from Santiago, SY

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Yes, the same problem everywhere, I am in contact with quite a few people that run small or big food banks in their own countries/towns and the message is always the same 'demand way up, donations down'. A school in Madrid, inner city, became a food bank for 2 000 families (with the help of local business people) because the head mistress couldn't bear it not to help, so she organized her school into a food bank.

My little neighbourhood pantry is obviously far, far smaller and I thank all of you that have already donated. I also would like you to know, whilst the need is obviously ongoing, and will be so for some time to come, thanks to your donations my neighbours are now safe food and face mask etc wise until well into the next year.
So, unless your are swimming in money and have nobody else to give it to - please stop donating to this cause now ;-)

Instead, please consider donating to your own local food bank (or increasing your donation if you're already doing so).

And, if you feel confident to do so and there is a need, do set up your own local, neighbourhood food bank.

All blessings and prayers from Santiago, SY

Post again, when you need additional funds!

SYates

Camino(s) past & future

Will do, but for the moment, everybody is well cared for. But over the next few days/weeks I will also post some pictures here so that you can see where and how your kind donations ended up to be used!

Hugs from Santiago to everybody, SY

SYates

Camino(s) past & future

Will do, but for the moment, everybody is well cared for. But over the next few days/weeks I will also post some pictures here so that you can see where and how your kind donations ended up to be used!

Hugs from Santiago to everybody, SY

mvanert

Camino(s) past & future
Bits and pieces - 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020?

The short story is this:

Face masks and hand soap

BC SY

2. Start of the week
May I suggest you set up a Patreon account that way people who wish to donate on a monthly basis can?

SYates

Camino(s) past & future

May I suggest you set up a Patreon account that way people who wish to donate on a monthly basis can?

Nice idea, but those who wish to do so, could simply put a reminder in their phone or paper calendar ;-) Hugs from Santiago, SY

Advertisement

Booking.com