• Click to join the Casa Ivar mailing List
    (separate from the forum emails). This includes new videos created on YouTube and new prodcts on the Camino Forum Store. (Click the small "X" on the top right corner to remove this message)

Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Santiago de Compostela - Help to Help My Neighbours

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Sunday Update: The first photo shows the pantry storage area (less what is in the fridge and freezer ;-) ) this Monday, the second one was taken this evening. BUT, thanks to all of you I could just put in another online order in to my local supermarket, adding a family that includes a little girl (toddler age) that neeeds diapers, wipes, good, fresh food etc. Thanks to all of you all these needs will be covered! And tomorrow these shelves will be stocked again, thanks to all of you! Many Muchas Gracias from Santiago!
BC SY

Attachments

• D6013FBA-FA11-43BB-8679-A561C4D27293.jpg
    D6013FBA-FA11-43BB-8679-A561C4D27293.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 220189B9-A56C-4CFF-B8BC-AB098EA92B6A.jpg
    220189B9-A56C-4CFF-B8BC-AB098EA92B6A.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 9
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Sunday Fundraiser Update (https://www.facebook.com/donate/239304081414034/ or direct message me for more options like PayPal): Galicia has a population of 2 700 000 people (2020), 600 000 of them are now living under the poverty line (translation below): https://www.elespanol.com/quincemil...-gallegos-por-debajo-del-umbral-de-la-pobreza

My little neighborhood pantry helps now 5 families (20+ people) with food and basic necessities ...

Translation:

CCOO calls for more social protection for 600,000 Galicians below the poverty line
On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty this Sunday, CCOO has drawn attention to the fact that 34,100 households in the community have no income, a figure that has increased by 6,600 homes compared to 2020.

The National Union of Workers' Commissions of Galicia (CCOO) has demanded more social protection for the almost 600,000 Galicians who live below the poverty line. As they have explained in a statement, the most urgent action is the modification of the Risga to make it "compatible" with the Minimum Vital Income, "a task to which the Xunta had committed itself but in which it has been delayed for more than a year", they denounce.

On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, which is commemorated this Sunday, CCOO has published a study that addresses the situation in our country. In this regard, the secretary of Employment and Social Protection of CCOO, Maica Bouza, has clarified that the analysis and evaluation of poverty "presents a great complexity" due to the "disparity of parameters that are used in its measurement".

"However they are measured, poverty levels reach unacceptable levels, which is why it is essential to take advantage of periods of economic growth to develop policies to combat in-work poverty, precariousness and inequality," Bouza said. The union has echoed the survey of living conditions of the National Institute of Statistics (INE) which, with data from 2019, indicates that 600,000 Galicians, 22.1% of the population, live below the poverty line (9,626 euros for a single person).

On the other hand, and with data for 2020, the report indicates that 34,100 households do not receive income, "where the impact of the pandemic is already partially reflected", with an increase of 6,600 households compared to the previous year.

Modify the Risga

For Comisiones Obreras (CCOO), the situation of poverty "comes together with intermittent and precarious working lives", which is why the benefit that "should cover Galicians in need is the Risga".

In addition to modifying it to "make it more compatible" with the Minimum Vital Income and "cover those situations where it does not reach", they ask for greater flexibility in the requirements, less bureaucracy and a larger budget. For the union, the so-called 'social shield' deployed to combat the impact of covid, the Minimum Living Income and the increase in the minimum wage, "gave good results but it does not reach".

CCOO therefore calls on the central government and the Xunta de Galicia to
to change labour regulations to promote quality employment, strengthen active employment policies, extend unemployment protection, improve wages, guarantee decent housing, raise the IPREM, develop a progressive and fair tax system, and consolidate the public pension system.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Quick Sunday update, so that you can see what your kind donations are used for: Every week something like this goes out to one of 'my families' (there are 5 now, 20+ people). This family comes one time a week because they live a little bit further away, so it's more practical. Thanks for all of your help so far!

Attachments

• weekly.jpg
    weekly.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 20

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Update: Do you know why Sunday is my favourite day of the week? Because of all your donations I could, once again, put in an online order with our local Froiz supermarket to keep my little neighborhood pantry well stocked for the next week. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! And Muchas Gracias from my neighbors! PS Online order because I simple can't carry what is needed as the typical, weekly, order starts with 15kg of potatoes, 18l of milk and so on. Second favorite day of the week is Wednesday, when the fruit and vegetable (all locally grown) from https://www.facebook.com/aHortadaAvoa get's delivered. sunday-1084365_1280.jpg

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads