Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Santiago de Compostela - Help to Help My Neighbours

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Sunday Update: The first photo shows the pantry storage area (less what is in the fridge and freezer ;-) ) this Monday, the second one was taken this evening. BUT, thanks to all of you I could just put in another online order in to my local supermarket, adding a family that includes a little girl (toddler age) that neeeds diapers, wipes, good, fresh food etc. Thanks to all of you all these needs will be covered! And tomorrow these shelves will be stocked again, thanks to all of you! Many Muchas Gracias from Santiago!
BC SY

Attachments

• D6013FBA-FA11-43BB-8679-A561C4D27293.jpg
    D6013FBA-FA11-43BB-8679-A561C4D27293.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 220189B9-A56C-4CFF-B8BC-AB098EA92B6A.jpg
    220189B9-A56C-4CFF-B8BC-AB098EA92B6A.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 40
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Sunday Fundraiser Update (https://www.facebook.com/donate/239304081414034/ or direct message me for more options like PayPal): Galicia has a population of 2 700 000 people (2020), 600 000 of them are now living under the poverty line (translation below): https://www.elespanol.com/quincemil...-gallegos-por-debajo-del-umbral-de-la-pobreza

My little neighborhood pantry helps now 5 families (20+ people) with food and basic necessities ...

Translation:

CCOO calls for more social protection for 600,000 Galicians below the poverty line
On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty this Sunday, CCOO has drawn attention to the fact that 34,100 households in the community have no income, a figure that has increased by 6,600 homes compared to 2020.

The National Union of Workers' Commissions of Galicia (CCOO) has demanded more social protection for the almost 600,000 Galicians who live below the poverty line. As they have explained in a statement, the most urgent action is the modification of the Risga to make it "compatible" with the Minimum Vital Income, "a task to which the Xunta had committed itself but in which it has been delayed for more than a year", they denounce.

On the occasion of the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, which is commemorated this Sunday, CCOO has published a study that addresses the situation in our country. In this regard, the secretary of Employment and Social Protection of CCOO, Maica Bouza, has clarified that the analysis and evaluation of poverty "presents a great complexity" due to the "disparity of parameters that are used in its measurement".

"However they are measured, poverty levels reach unacceptable levels, which is why it is essential to take advantage of periods of economic growth to develop policies to combat in-work poverty, precariousness and inequality," Bouza said. The union has echoed the survey of living conditions of the National Institute of Statistics (INE) which, with data from 2019, indicates that 600,000 Galicians, 22.1% of the population, live below the poverty line (9,626 euros for a single person).

On the other hand, and with data for 2020, the report indicates that 34,100 households do not receive income, "where the impact of the pandemic is already partially reflected", with an increase of 6,600 households compared to the previous year.

Modify the Risga

For Comisiones Obreras (CCOO), the situation of poverty "comes together with intermittent and precarious working lives", which is why the benefit that "should cover Galicians in need is the Risga".

In addition to modifying it to "make it more compatible" with the Minimum Vital Income and "cover those situations where it does not reach", they ask for greater flexibility in the requirements, less bureaucracy and a larger budget. For the union, the so-called 'social shield' deployed to combat the impact of covid, the Minimum Living Income and the increase in the minimum wage, "gave good results but it does not reach".

CCOO therefore calls on the central government and the Xunta de Galicia to
to change labour regulations to promote quality employment, strengthen active employment policies, extend unemployment protection, improve wages, guarantee decent housing, raise the IPREM, develop a progressive and fair tax system, and consolidate the public pension system.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Quick Sunday update, so that you can see what your kind donations are used for: Every week something like this goes out to one of 'my families' (there are 5 now, 20+ people). This family comes one time a week because they live a little bit further away, so it's more practical. Thanks for all of your help so far!

Attachments

• weekly.jpg
    weekly.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 52

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Update: Do you know why Sunday is my favourite day of the week? Because of all your donations I could, once again, put in an online order with our local Froiz supermarket to keep my little neighborhood pantry well stocked for the next week. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! And Muchas Gracias from my neighbors! PS Online order because I simple can't carry what is needed as the typical, weekly, order starts with 15kg of potatoes, 18l of milk and so on. Second favorite day of the week is Wednesday, when the fruit and vegetable (all locally grown) from https://www.facebook.com/aHortadaAvoa get's delivered. sunday-1084365_1280.jpg

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Quick Sunday update, so that you can see what your kind donations are used for: Every week something like this goes out to one of 'my families' (there are 5 now, 20+ people). This family comes one time a week because they live a little bit further away, so it's more practical. Thanks for all of your help so far!
Christmas is nigh.....
Just put another paypal through to share a little with your neighbours.
Thank you for caring Sybille and following through.

Annie

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Thank you both! I will indeed post a 'Christmas Cheer Plea' this weekend plus I have some really exciting news to share! Please be patient whilst I am working on both write-ups ;-) Things take so much longer these days to accomplish, at least for me.

And my deepest apologies to everybody that has donated and whose donation I haven't been acknowledging - My email inbox is my personal nightmare, but I will get to you all, even if it is with many months of delay. Also know that my neighbors know that I am not doing this alone, they know that there are an awful lot of caring people out there in the world helping them. I am just the hands and feet on the ground.

Many Muchas Gracias to all of you, SY

pelerine

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
Thank you both! I will indeed post a 'Christmas Cheer Plea' this weekend plus I have some really exciting news to share! Please be patient whilst I am working on both write-ups ;-) Things take so much longer these days to accomplish, at least for me.

And my deepest apologies to everybody that has donated and whose donation I haven't been acknowledging - My email inbox is my personal nightmare, but I will get to you all, even if it is with many months of delay. Also know that my neighbors know that I am not doing this alone, they know that there are an awful lot of caring people out there in the world helping them. I am just the hands and feet on the ground.

Many Muchas Gracias to all of you, SY

You do not have to acknowledge each donation thus adding to your “personal nightmare” and to your general workload. We mention our donations in this thread not to glorify ourselves, but to encourage others to do the same.
Bon courage!

Past OR future Camino
Walking since 2008, various stages of French,Norte and Via del Plata- addicted to the Way
Help to Help My Neighbors

First of all, I am posting this with @ivar's permission here, despite the fact that I am really not a 'Camino Business'.

Second, the long story can be read here: http://egeria.house/egeria-house-version-3-or-so/

The short story is this:

Since I moved to Santiago in May 2017 there have always been people knocking at my door asking for food.

Pre-Covid that happened around 2-3 times a month.
Now it is a nearly daily occurrence.
Yes, Spain has a social security net.
Yes but, people are still falling through the gaps of it.

I provide, at the moment, two extended families (around 12-15 people in total) with additional food help plus face masks and hygiene products like soap and hand sanitizer.

My own income from freelance writing has done a deep dip with the pandemic, but so have my expenses ;-) So I really could do with some help to continue to help my neighbours.

There are the ones that begged around the cathedral and old town even pre-covid, the lock down and lack of visitors have hid them hard.

Donations are needed for:

Fresh fruit and vegetables
Face masks and hand soap
Salt-free/reduced-in-salt food for one of them with severe diabetes related health issues
Baby care products like wipes and diapers/nappies for both families's grand children
Pantry staples like tinned vegetables, pasta and everything that cooks quickly (power poverty!)

Something extra to make their Christmas less dire …

Thank you from Santiago de Compostela, SY

So, if you want me to help others, the PayPal link is https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/EgeriaHouseSantiago

If you want to venture in the realm of international bank transfer, please PM me.

Also, any questions, please ask them in a comment or via PM.

And, please stay physically apart from each other, so that when we can finally meet again – NOBODY is missing!

BC SY

Photo Captions of the neighbourhood pantry:

1. At the end of the week
2. Start of the week
3. Pick-up box for neighbours
Donation sent- keep up the great work 👍

SYates

Past OR future Camino

So here the promised updates ;-) I keep it short ;-)

Christmas Cheer

Like last year (yes, my little neighborhood pantry is now in operation since over a year), I would love to give my neighbors here in Santiago a little extra cheer for Christmas. Typical Christmas sweets like polverones, turron and the like plus some toys for their children and grandchildren additionally to the food and other basic household items I am already providing. Also, like last year, I would like be able to give them a small amount of cash (difficult topic, I know!) to buy gifts for each other.

Roundabout Room

Despite the Omicron situation and taking ALL the necessary precautions I have decided to open up the flat a bit more. I am now taking in in-kind donations of shoes, clothing, cutlery, crockery and small appliances. People can come to this room to pick up what they need and leave what they don't need anymore but what could be serviceable to others. This is very much an emerging project in its infant steps, so please wish me luck! But so far it has gone exceedingly well!

Personal Update

As some of you know, I am in treatment for depression, anxiety and panic disorder. Apart of taking my meds and seeing my talk therapist starting January helping others really helps me. I am getting better by the day and feeling really positive about my future and my future work here in Santiago.

Donation Links

If you want to support this project, here are some handy links:

For other ways to donate, please send me a PM.

No matter how big or small your donation, it makes a REAL difference for 'my families'.

Many Muchas Gracias, SY

PS Here some photos of the 'Roundabout Room' from today:

Attachments

• C2776D95-760A-4FC2-897E-63E51B41E832.jpg
    C2776D95-760A-4FC2-897E-63E51B41E832.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 8BFEBD20-D908-4B6A-9B10-17D790BC641B.jpg
    8BFEBD20-D908-4B6A-9B10-17D790BC641B.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 34E59A0A-17A8-4B0E-B6E9-E861B64756E2.jpg
    34E59A0A-17A8-4B0E-B6E9-E861B64756E2.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 86C13F8F-2AFA-4C1C-BB1C-9339F68CF5BA.jpg
    86C13F8F-2AFA-4C1C-BB1C-9339F68CF5BA.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 46
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

SYates

Past OR future Camino

I just PayPal'd money. Hope you have enough funds to get something "extra" for the children at Christmas. NO kid should have an empty stocking, or whatever they use in Spain. I do not care if they are Christian or not.

Happy Christmas to all!
Actually they are and they always reassure me that they are praying for me! But I agree, personal faith doesn't matter when it comes to such basic needs as food!
SY
PS I pray for them too.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Quick update (with photos):

First of all a belated but very Happy New Year from me and my neighbors here in the barrio (neighborhood) of San Pedro, Santiago!

Thanks to all of you I really could add some extra cheer for all of 'my' families.

Tomorrow I will go and buy some roscónes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake#Spanish-speaking_countries) as Christmas season here in Spain ends the 6th January (Epiphany) commemorating the visit of the three magi (wise men) that brought gifts to baby Jesus.

And here the promised photos, and once more, so many Muchas Gracias to all of you to make all of this possible:

C120C53A-72F1-4633-BBEC-1A90FDD26376.jpg AC3FDFAD-EDB9-42ED-BBFF-4226621A8E9D.png DA4AD0A6-EB6D-415E-9400-9656AAA3BFE2.jpg

1.Photo: Some of our typical Christmas sweets here.
2. Photo: Two boxes prepared and ready to go, one has already been picked up today since I took this photo.
3. The stocked up pantry shelves, more things in the fridge, freezer and behind the front door (like milk and potatoes).

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
@SYates , to give us a sense of what you could use and how we can help, can you please give us a rough estimate of what it costs to feed your neighbors each week? (Holidays and 'normaldays' are quite different, yes?)

SYates

Past OR future Camino

@SYates , to give us a sense of what you could use and how we can help, can you please give us a rough estimate of what it costs to feed your neighbors each week? (Holidays and 'normaldays' are quite different, yes?)
The short answer is around 700 to 800 Euros/month, so 175 to 200 Euros/week, and yes holidays like Easter, Saint James Day and Christmas/Reyes require a bit more as I strongly believe that everybody, no matter their economical status, deserves a bit of extra cheer on those special days. All this has been on this level since around October 2020, before it was less.

The long answer is that most of that cost is for fresh fruits and vegetables, non-perishables like pasta, canned/tinned pulses (energy poverty!, it takes more energy to cook, for example, dried chick peas or beans than just to reheat already cooked and canned ones). Followed by basic hygiene and cleaning products (f.e. bleach, washing up liquid, toilet paper, face masks and so on). One family I also help with their butano (gas used for cooking/heating). Doesn't make sense to give people food and then they can't cook it! Oh, and there are also now two people with diabetes among them that require some 'special food' like sugar-free breakfast cookies, saccharine, and the like.

Happy New Year / Feliz Año Nuevo from San Pedro (Santiago)
SY

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Thank you! That's actualy very well done for the amount you offer. Stretcking each Euro...

And energy poverty. Geeze. That's not something most of us on more comfortable perches have to think about. 😳
It is actually quite expensive to be poor! For example:

If you have 1 Euro you can buy a kilo of loose potatoes for that amount here.
If you have 3,89 Euros you can buy a bag 5kg of potatoes here, making the cost per kilo only 0,78 Euro.

So if you have more money, you get more food for the same amount of money.

By shopping carefully, taking advantage of special offers for products that have a long shelf life etc I really can stretch each Euro to the maximum WITHOUT compromising food quality.

SY

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
It is actually quite expensive to be poor! For example:

If you have 1 Euro you can buy a kilo of loose potatoes for that amount here.
If you have 3,89 Euros you can buy a bag 5kg of potatoes here, making the cost per kilo only 0,78 Euro.

So if you have more money, you get more food for the same amount of money.

By shopping carefully, taking advantage of special offers for products that have a long shelf life etc I really can stretch each Euro to the maximum WITHOUT compromising food quality.

SY
Very astute… and on the point, for the rest of the readers… there is a classic mid 20th C essay from Herbert Gans… “The Poor Pay All” —- it addresses exactly what you point out here, and shows that keeping people poor is exactly what those “on top” rely on in an economic sense (even if they are unaware). Gans itemizes all the market goods that are specific and “indispensible” to the larger economy that require a poor sector to buy them and pay more for them.

Gans’ essay can be found here: https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/811184/files/28412697?module_item_id=5908443

He refers to “positive functions” of poverty but by this he only means that poverty benefits those who exploit the poor (knowingly or not).

That we’ve only become more entrenched in that system since he wrote the essay is just soul-crushing.

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
Gans itemizes all the market goods that are specific and “indispensible” to the larger economy that require a poor sector to buy them and pay more for them.
Grrrr.
But now we run the risk of straying into politics, so I will refrain from venting. Fortunately in the long term karma's always fair - and @SYates is creating a ton of good karma! And we can too, by jumping on the bandwagon.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Grrrr.
But now we run the risk of straying into politics, so I will refrain from venting. Fortunately in the long term karma's always fair - and @SYates is creating a ton of good karma!

Yes… I think we can talk about it without straying into “politics”.
Where I live we have a very old, very established RC church in the Centre of town. The Father there works across all political parties to create community-level supports that bring together all exconomic strata so that the usual animosities are avoided.
Affordable housing, free/freshly cooked meals for *anyone* that are appealing and delicious served out of an outdoor kitchen to handle COV restrictions…
The Father is focused on serving a very broad understanding of “community” and the results are more powerful than those that are politically informed by party policies.

Last edited:

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Very astute… and on the point, for the rest of the readers… there is a classic mid 20th C essay from Herbert Gans… “The Poor Pay All” —- it addresses exactly what you point out here, and shows that keeping people poor is exactly what those “on top” rely on in an economic sense (even if they are unaware). Gans itemizes all the market goods that are specific and “indispensible” to the larger economy that require a poor sector to buy them and pay more for them.

Gans’ essay can be found here: https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/811184/files/28412697?module_item_id=5908443

He refers to “positive functions” of poverty but by this he only means that poverty benefits those who exploit the poor (knowingly or not).

That we’ve only become more entrenched in that system since he wrote the essay is just soul-crushing.
Or as Terry Pratchett put it so eloquently in 'Men at Arms', to get away from politics and keep us out of forum trouble, please!:

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.
Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.
But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.
This was the Captain Samuel Vimes ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
A thought-provoking Camino memoir. This day-by-day account will inspire you.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Yes, I aim to underscore only why it is that people need our help. That it’s structural… not personal “failure” (oh how I hate that word applied to persons).
At any rate, I made contributions last year when I was able, and shall do so again this year. For the next 6 months I am on a reduced salary by 20% but still have my own person with a disability who needs my 100% so forgive me @SYates that I cannot contribute until July. But I shall.
And I hope that so many others who come to the forum will support your very practical and very needed efforts.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

For the next 6 months I am on a reduced salary by 20% but still have my own person with a disability who needs my 100% so forgive me @SYates that I cannot contribute until July.
Please nobody, absolutely NOBODY donate beyond their means! Nor donate anything that takes away from your own family/community/friends! Take care of those close to you first! That are the ripples we need to spread in our own communities first. And those ripples will expand and bear witness and encourage others!

BC SY

Doughnut NZ

From Aotearoa New Zealand
Past OR future Camino
Please nobody, absolutely NOBODY donate beyond their means! Nor donate anything that takes away from your own family/community/friends! Take care of those close to you first! That are the ripples we need to spread in our own communities first. And those ripples will expand and bear witness and encourage others!

BC SY
However, John Steinbeck's quote about poverty from The Grapes of Wrath: “If you're in trouble or hurt or need—go to poor people. They're the only ones that'll help—the only ones.”

Last edited:
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
I agree absolutely. No fault. I admire Sybille's action on behalf of her neighbours. I am happy to occasionally support the effort. What is political? At the local level, it is the immediate environment. I do know something about interventions of a charitable nature. Regardless of any categories, if the neighbour is cold, try to give warmth. If hungry, for X's sake, give what you do not need, and even what you do. Sybille, keep going.

Past OR future Camino
Next up 2022?
So another couple of questions, if I may, @SYates ~
What is your greatest ongoing need right now?
I imagine it would be most useful to have smaller but regular (say, monthly) donations than one larger lump sum - or does that make a difference on your end?

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

So another couple of questions, if I may, @SYates ~
What is your greatest ongoing need right now?
I imagine it would be most useful to have smaller but regular (say, monthly) donations than one larger lump sum - or does that make a difference on your end?
Let me answer your first question first:
I mainly provide that kind of food that is difficult to obtain from 'normal' food banks and similar, like breakfast cookies/biscuits/magdalenas without sugar and other produce suitable for the two diabetics among them. Also fresh fruit and vegetables, coffee, butter, olive oil, eggs and so on. This gives them the opportunity to cook for themselves and so a bit of autonomy. Plus obviously the usual, basic cleaning and hygiene products. This is an ongoing need that has been stable for over a year now.
Other things like clothing and shoes I try to source among local friends here and the local freecycling group I am part of.
One happy event is about to happen now in January, one of the families is expecting their first child (a girl, we are all very excited!). That will obviously increase the need for diapers/nappies and other basic baby supplies.

As for the second question: I think a mixture of both would be best, ongoing smaller donations give me more peace of mind for their future and the occasional big donation happens often just before a bigger need hits. There is really a "the Camino provides" feeling about this whole little project for me.

Hugs to all of you from Santiago,
SY

Past OR future Camino
06,CF;13,CP;17,SSal;19,Ingles
Let me answer your first question first:
I mainly provide that kind of food that is difficult to obtain from 'normal' food banks and similar, like breakfast cookies/biscuits/magdalenas without sugar and other produce suitable for the two diabetics among them. Also fresh fruit and vegetables, coffee, butter, olive oil, eggs and so on. This gives them the opportunity to cook for themselves and so a bit of autonomy. Plus obviously the usual, basic cleaning and hygiene products. This is an ongoing need that has been stable for over a year now.
Other things like clothing and shoes I try to source among local friends here and the local freecycling group I am part of.
One happy event is about to happen now in January, one of the families is expecting their first child (a girl, we are all very excited!). That will obviously increase the need for diapers/nappies and other basic baby supplies.

As for the second question: I think a mixture of both would be best, ongoing smaller donations give me more peace of mind for their future and the occasional big donation happens often just before a bigger need hits. There is really a "the Camino provides" feeling about this whole little project for me.

SY
Thanks for update. A point of interest: having been diagnosed as a Diabetes type 2 person (!) I attended a course and learned that it is not at all necessary to buy diabetic specific foods. So I don't. I can live with that. Maybe I go for a walk instead of reaching for chocolate! I realise that may not be the case for some of your neighbours, but it might be of help to you to avoid spending money on some things that are not useful and are expensive. Let's join in waiting hopefully for a safe delvery.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

I realise that may not be the case for some of your neighbours, but it might be of help to you to avoid spending money on some things that are not useful and are expensive.
Without going into too much personal details, that wouldn't work with both of them, believe me.
SY

pelerine

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19

How would one set about to donate on a regular basis? And would that give you tax problems?

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Past OR future Camino
Frances: 2016/17; LePuy 2018/19; Norte 2021
Help to Help My Neighbors

First of all, I am posting this with @ivar's permission here, despite the fact that I am really not a 'Camino Business'.

Second, the long story can be read here: http://egeria.house/egeria-house-version-3-or-so/

The short story is this:

Since I moved to Santiago in May 2017 there have always been people knocking at my door asking for food.

Pre-Covid that happened around 2-3 times a month.
Now it is a nearly daily occurrence.
Yes, Spain has a social security net.
Yes but, people are still falling through the gaps of it.

I provide, at the moment, two extended families (around 12-15 people in total) with additional food help plus face masks and hygiene products like soap and hand sanitizer.

My own income from freelance writing has done a deep dip with the pandemic, but so have my expenses ;-) So I really could do with some help to continue to help my neighbours.

There are the ones that begged around the cathedral and old town even pre-covid, the lock down and lack of visitors have hid them hard.
Done and dusted, thank you for being a source of kindness and care.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

How would one set about to donate on a regular basis? And would that give you tax problems?
Easiest way to do that would be to simply put up a reminder on your phone or in your paper calendar ;-) Also, if you use Paypal you have the option, at least here in Spain, to make it a monthly donation. Second question: No.
Hugs from Santiago, SY

SYates

Past OR future Camino

One happy event is about to happen now in January, one of the families is expecting their first child (a girl, we are all very excited!).

And she has been born last night! Mother and little baby girl are both very well ;-) Happy smiles in the families ;-)

SY

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Quick update, as I have some really exciting, good news:

I got my hands on an allotment (for free!) only 5 minutes walk away from where I live currently ;-) Big smile and happy dance! I already have some local friends lined up to help clear up the overgrown plot but after that I can perfectly manage on my own. The produce will obviously go in the food boxes for my neighbors, but I will also munch the odd homegrown tomato myself ;-) And if there is any produce leftover it will go to our local soup kitchen with is 'coincidentally' close by. So, happy dance all around! Here some photos and sorry if I sound hyper-excited but this is really a big step in the right direction for my little project!

SY

PS Not all of the land in the photos is mine to care for, just 12-16 sqm approximately. And there is even a water point directly by the plot of land ;-)

359E43E0-C4DA-48BB-AFB2-77F83C31BA93.jpg AE157AD5-A2E2-4674-9FA7-A6653A021105.png

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

SYates

Past OR future Camino

SYates

Past OR future Camino

Wonderful news! You can grow tons on that.
And...keep the nasturtiums! Yum yum. Leaves on salad. The very young seeds ditto - they're deliciously crunchy and peppery/hot.
And you can pickle the young seeds/pods and use them like capers ;-)
BC SY

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads