• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela on Easter?

dreaminggypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2020
As I am sketching out our itinerary for a walking the Camino Portugues-It appears that we may be arriving in Santiago on Easter weekend… Sunday to be exact. Should I wait and stay somewhere else Easter Sunday and then arrive on the Monday after Easter? Would it be less busy? Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it would be cool to go to Easter services, what a great way to end your journey!

For me I'll still be on the trail (CF) and plan on taking a zero day in Leon for Easter.

Hi dreaminggypsy,
in pre-pandemic times, there were processions of the SDC-based Franciscan Confradia of the True Cross all through Holy Week in Santiago de Compostela culminating on Easter. I am not sure if any will happen in 2022. If you are not from Spain, seeing one of these may perhaps be a part of your camino experience. For myself, rather than arrive on Easter Monday, I would plan to arrive at least two days earlier on Holy Saturday instead!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I am sketching out our itinerary for a walking the Camino Portugues-It appears that we may be arriving in Santiago on Easter weekend… Sunday to be exact. Should I wait and stay somewhere else Easter Sunday and then arrive on the Monday after Easter? Would it be less busy? Thank you.
Easter on the camino is busy time. You might even already be to late to make reservations to sleep here in Santiago. So if you want to be here. Then you really should book asap.

We are planning on arriving into SdeC a few days before Easter. When I looked at places to stay yesterday there were not many options left at reasonable prices so, like others have already mentioned, you may want to book sooner than later. Also, if the precessions are going on during Holy week you are in for a treat. We didn't know anything about them when we walked the Frances in 2019 and were marveled and amazed by them in every town we walked through during the week before Easter.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in SdC over Easter weekend after finishing the Inglés. Although we’ve been there a number of times, it was wonderfully vibrant to be there for Easter which also coincided with my wife’s birthday that year. From what I saw on Booking.com, you should be able to find a room without much difficulty for Sunday night, but I’d book now. If you can, arrive as early as possible on Sunday to enjoy the day there.

I got a newsletter from the Cathedral today with a lists of events. I've highlighted the times when one can hear the Carraca. This is a huge wooden ratchet in one of the towers of the Cathedral. Its sound replaces the bell ringing on Good Friday and on the Saturday before Easter. I don't know whether these are the only times when you can hear the Carraca.

Viernes Santo, 15 de abril
12:00 h. Celebración Penitencial. Funcionamiento de la carraca.
18:00 h. Celebración de la Pasión del Señor, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento de la carraca.

Sábado Santo, 16 de abril
12:00 h. Oficio de lecturas. Funcionamiento de la carraca.
18:00 h. Vía Crucis y Sermón de la Soledad. Funcionamiento de la carraca.
22:00 h. Solemne Vigilia Pascual, presidida por el Arzobispo. Funcionamiento de la carraca.

Domingo de Pascua, 17 de abril
11:00 h. Procesión de Jesús Resucitado, en la praza da Quintana
11:40 h. Misa Solemne de la Resurrección del Señor. Funcionamiento del Botafumeiro.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino is a Madness at Easter. 😩😩😩

I think it would be cool to go to Easter services, what a great way to end your journey!

For me I'll still be on the trail (CF) and plan on taking a zero day in Leon for Easter.
The night from Holy Thursday to Holy Friday don't sleep at Las Carbajalas. It is impossible sleep because the noise of the whole night on the street.

SdC is chaotic at Easter! It is wall to wall people. Almost impossible to get a seat in the Cathedral. During Covid,I believe many of the processions for the Triduum were canceled. Watching them is well worth the Chaos, though. Rich!

If you want to experience It, do make reservations now !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.