• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
Could a member please let me know if there is a fast train from Santiago to Barcelona ? If so , also the approximate time it takes and cost ?
I am not sure of my arrival date in Santiago [ who ever is ? ] so I would rather not pre-book tickets .
I must admit the Spanish train timetable sites are , to me at least, quite confusing .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It depends what you mean by fast.... there are two early-morning trains which are 9 hours (5.15 and 7.48) and a later-morning train (8.34) which takes 13 hours. As well, there appears to be an overnight train leaving 17.25 arriving at 8.49 the next day-- fares range from 40.90 to 82.40. I've taken the 7.48 on two occasions and the route is scenic.

Such a speedy reply ! I wish our local trains were as fast :) Thank you .

I suppose what I really should have asked was if there was an express / faster than local milk run train . All three of your suggestions are fine , it is a shame that Australians can't travel most of the way across our country for the same price .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Back in 1978 I took a train across Montana, the train to Madrid was about as speedy. If you have been to Japan or taken the bullet trains from London to Paris don't expect those types of speed in Spain. No need to pre-book just get a ticket a day or two before you head to Barcelona. It is a 15 minute walk from the Santiago Cathedral to the train station.
Buen Camino
Keith

The trains from Santiago to Madrid travel around 240 kph, at top speed, and slower through the mountains. There is a train change en-route and the location depends upon your departure route from Santiago. Once you get to Madrid, you have to change stations, (from Charmartin to Atocha,) which is easily accomplished by the underground and takes about 20 minutes. If you have your ticket in hand, then this portion of the travel is free. Once at the Atocha Station, the "bullet train" will take you to Barcelona at 300 kph. Other than flying, this is the fastest way to get to Barcelona, is far more scenic, the price is right and there is a real sensation of flying on the ground, at speed. As was said earlier, this takes about nine hours.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Renfe is the service provider. You might want to refer to their site for information about schedules.

http://www.renfe.com/

adif manages the rail network. You can see the map here.
http://www.adif.es/AdifWeb/estacionesMapa.jsp?i=es_ES

The 'direct' train from Santiago to Barcelona travels via Leon, Miranda de Ebro, and Zaragosa.

As you can see there is fast track from Zamora to Madrid and Madrid to Barcelona. If you follow this route there is more frequent service and the schedule ~might~ work out to a shorter day. There usually is a transfer from Madrid Chamartin to Madrid Atocha.

You can use tomorrow's schedule for planning. It won't be cast in concrete until 30 days prior to travel but the trend is that the schedule doesn't change much.

It depends what you mean by fast.... there are two early-morning trains which are 9 hours (5.15 and 7.48) and a later-morning train (8.34) which takes 13 hours. As well, there appears to be an overnight train leaving 17.25 arriving at 8.49 the next day-- fares range from 40.90 to 82.40. I've taken the 7.48 on two occasions and the route is scenic.
I have taken the 17:25 night train. It was great. Sorry I don't remember the price. It was probably closer to the 90.00 range, but it does seem to fill up fast. We tried to book online a few days out, with no luck. Finally, we had a Spanish friend in Santiago book for us.

You have 3 options-
1 Bus. Overnight 14 hours. Cost 70 euros
2. Train as advised in other posts.
3. Fly by Vuela Air. about 4 hours city centre to city centre. Cost 42 euros.
You will have to check on cuurrent prices.
I am no fan of flying, but I choose to fly bearing in mind cost and convenience

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This May I paid close to 130 Euros for a ticket with Vueling from SdC to Barcelona (ordered the day before). I would prefer an evening train from SdC, sleeping on the train, and arriving early in the morning in Barcelona. Much cheaper (60-70 Euros if my memory serves me well), and it will save you a night in a hotel. Full day in both SdC and Barcelona.

The trains from Santiago to Madrid travel around 240 kph, at top speed, and slower through the mountains. There is a train change en-route and the location depends upon your departure route from Santiago. Once you get to Madrid, you have to change stations, (from Charmartin to Atocha,) which is easily accomplished by the underground and takes about 20 minutes. If you have your ticket in hand, then this portion of the travel is free. Once at the Atocha Station, the "bullet train" will take you to Barcelona at 300 kph. Other than flying, this is the fastest way to get to Barcelona, is far more scenic, the price is right and there is a real sensation of flying on the ground, at speed. As was said earlier, this takes about nine hours.
In addition, navigating the Renfe site is easy, one you get used to it. Make sure you select the "Union Jack," if your primary language is English, as this will be a real help. The first time, it took me an hour to arrange travel from Pamplona to Sarria, but the round-trip arrangements, from Santiago to Barcelona, were a doddle. Don't be put off by all of the train changes, as I never missed a connection, and the transfer was usually across the platform. Not quite sure if I would travel at night, what with disrupted sleep for the transfers and, besides, there is all of that terrific scenery. After all, we may be pilgrims, but we are also tourists! Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could a member please let me know if there is a fast train from Santiago to Barcelona ? If so , also the approximate time it takes and cost ?
I am not sure of my arrival date in Santiago [ who ever is ? ] so I would rather not pre-book tickets .
I must admit the Spanish train timetable sites are , to me at least, quite confusing .

Book a Ryan Air flight on line. It's inexpensive and faster than a train. You just need to find a place to print your ticket.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back