• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Compostela to Villafranca

AilbheKelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013-2016
Hi! I'm flying into Santiago de Compostela on the 12th of May at 16.20 and hoping to travel to Villafranca that evening. However the main bus company and the trains only run earlier in the day, or very late that evening, meaning we wouldn't arrive in Villafranca until after midnight. Can anyone suggest another way of getting there? Are there any smaller or local buses which run in the evening?

Thanks for your help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are the companies I am aware of ... you might find something to suit your timings but I doubt it.

ALSA provides service from Santiago to Villafranca del Bierzo and Ponferrada.

Empresa Freire provides service from Santiago and Santiago airport to Lugo.

Gonzalez de la Riva provides service from Lugo to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. And from Vega de Valcarce to Villafranca and Ponferrada. I guess this is one of the examples about license to cross the border between Leon and Galicia ... it used to connect but I cannot now find a schedule between Pedrafita do Cebreiro and Vega de Valcarce.

Renfe provides service from Santiago to Ponferrada. It does not stop in Villafranca del Bierzo.

You might consider going as far as Lugo to stage for the AM buses.

Hi AilbheKelly! Welcome to the forum!

I'll assume that by Villafranca you mean Villafranca del Bierzo although you talk about trains and it's been many years since Villafranca del Bierzo saw the last passenger train...

Anyway, on your travel date, if you want to arrive to Villafranca del Bierzo on the same day...:
  • Train from downtown Santiago de Compostela to Ourense plus another one from Ourense to Ponferrada plus a taxi from Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. The taxi ride is something like 24 kms. You would arrive to Ponferrada at 22:19. Of course, you can also stay overnight in Ponferrada and continue by bus to Villafranca del Bierzo next morning... but that doesn't seem what you are looking for.
  • If you have a drivers' license valid in Spain, you could rent a car. Probably, you couldn't leave it in Villafranca del Bierzo but surely, you could leave it in Ponferrada. Driving a car, you could arrive to Ponferrada early enouth as to be able to catch the last bus from Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. Take a look at the web of Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) for info about schedules and fares.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The bus stop in Villafranca is at the Parador. You could stay there even with a late arrival. The bus goes through Ambasmestas; the stop is at the hotel. You could stay there and skip the short portion from Villafrance to Ambasmestas the next morning.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back