• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago de Sangre

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Spanish director F. Calvelo latest short film entitled - Santiago de Sangre - is set in the city of Santiago de Compostela. The film revolves around an imprisoned community of vampires who suffer their penance separated from their community , oppressed and condemned not to leave the city. Gabriel, a vampire who is not affected by this curse, fulfils his penance in an irreverent manner organising clandestine parties and torturing girls, obsessed with the search for purity .... until he finds Eva…
http://www.santiagodesangre.com/
There are trailer-teasers at http://youtube.com/santiagodesangre

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will it never stop!

First blisters, then wild dog, fleas, bed bugs, ticks...and now-Vampires at the end of My Camino. Gosh Sil, the WTWW was a tear jerker, now I'm going to stop taking an aspirin a day just so the vampire has to work hard to empty me out.

But, it does sound interesting. I wonder if there's a reason the Angel Gabriel is most often chosen as the wayward of the four?

Salud
Arn

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Arn said:
I wonder if there's a reason the Angel Gabriel is most often chosen as the wayward of the four?

I've wondered that as well, especially after watching The Prophecy and Constantine... :?:

JohnnieWalker said:
if the vampires get you in Santiago at the end of the Camino presumably they will be instantly inebriated!

I know I sent a number of satiated mosquitos on an erratic flight pattern. Keep the bug repellent handy, my friend...and perhaps a little garlic in your pocket... :wink:

Johnny Walker and Vinotinto,

I'm leaving the impression I drink a lot?

Yikes, well to be honest I have found that a wee dram now and again, liberally washed down with a not too expensive box wine can do wonders for keeping many things away. Just another of those things I spoke of as doing penance on My Camino.

And, I'll drink to a fruitful journey to all! :lol:

Buen Camino,
Arn

Arn said:
liberally washed down with a not too expensive box wine

I drank my first boxed vino on the Camino (does that rhyme? Good heavens...!). I bought it to augment my dinner from a supermercado, and I even have a picture of myself with the box in one hand (I think it was about a pint's worth of vino) and a stogie in the other, sitting on the stoop in front of my "cabin" at the Albergue Municipal de Cacabelos.

The Spanish guy who took my picture then invited me out with him and his pilgrim friends. We ended up doing a quick wine tasting inside a dark building with huge casks in it (pics of that as well), and then went to dinner, which I really couldn't eat much of because I was already full (although I sampled a couple of things and got some Spanish vino instruction from an economist/chef).

I ended up hanging out with that group on and off all the way to Santiago, where we partied together for two days and nights. You gotta love Spain, especially when the Camino's involved... :arrow:

You know - we really need to have Ivar add a "drunk" face to the list of Smilies... :wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Vinotinto wrote:we really need to have Ivar add a "drunk" face to the list of Smilies

So, why not send him your picture...I'd use it!

Ha HA HA HA!!!!

I suggest we either continue this on the "Spirit's" thread or THAB

Salud
Arn

Lillian wrote:imagine doing a walk together.

Sometimes the thought of doing something as important as the Camino, with a perfect stranger as a partner, may appear daunting.

Vinotinto and I share a similar background and focus. I have never met him, but I believe I know him. There's little doubt in my military mind (or my civilian mind) that he and I would easily fall into a routing that fairly guarantees success AND a great time!

Possibly something we may look into for the future.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ay-yay-yay-yay-YAY!
I think you two should stay on either side of the globe! You would definitely make a significant contribution to the local GDP but the camino would never be the same again!

Sil wrote:camino would never be the same again!

Well, think about that a moment. O.K.

The Camino can be quite different to everyone who's walked the Milky Way. Is it the walkers, or the Way that changes. I would submit...it's both!

Some of us come searching, others are intent on ridding themselves of a ghost, a love or, vampire (trying to get the thread back to the movie...and failing miserably).

I believe Vinotinto and I wouldn't do any lasting (key word here) damage, but I'd be willing to bet we'd join the ranks of the "Characters on the Camino". In a good way!

Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
I believe Vinotinto and I wouldn't do any lasting (key word here) damage

Yeah, I only fell down once due to spirits, and that was in Santiago. For some reason, white vino seems to affect me more than red. Or something like that. I didn't break anything, though - just got laughed at in fun.

Then again, maybe I went down twice - but the second time was to take a group picture from a ground perspective. My Spanish friends, who included me on the aforementioned white vino/seafood feast, kept ordering me rum and cokes (with high-end rum - those guys and gals were awesome) one night at a discotequa (sp?). We did some sort of group huddle thing for giggles, and I got down on the floor with one of their cameras to take a shot of them looking down at me in the huddle. They seemed to like that.

Arn said:
Vinotinto and I share a similar background and focus. I have never met him, but I believe I know him. There's little doubt in my military mind (or my civilian mind) that he and I would easily fall into a routing that fairly guarantees success AND a great time!

Possibly something we may look into for the future.

Hey, we could be the Abbott and Costello of the Camino (does anyone under a certain age remember them?)...or the Gomer Pyle and Sarge... Shazam! :mrgreen: :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.......you're dating yourself......! :lol:

Deirdre said:
.......you're dating yourself......!

Well, I do that a lot - it's cheaper, and I get to do all the talking! :wink:

But heck, I ain't that old - not that there's anything wrong with being old (hehe). I just watched a lot of old shows and movies while growing up in the 70s (I used to love Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd). We didn't have cable TV & stuff like that - just 3 networks and 1 local channel...so we had to make due in between walking to school uphill both ways in the snow. And we liked it!!! :wink: :arrow:

Vinotinto wrote:Abbott and Costello of the Camino (does anyone under a certain age remember them?)...or the Gomer Pyle and Sarge

A&C maybe...but Gomer Pyle...Not!

I was thinking more on the line of John Wayne and Ward Bond. Now there's a pair that can't be beat!

And...."Well, pilgrim, you can do it the easy way or the hard way. Either way, it's gonna hurt!"

Semper Fi

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arn said:
I was thinking more on the line of John Wayne and Ward Bond. Now there's a pair that can't be beat!

Yeah, and we can sing the marching song "Chesty Puller was a grand old man, a grand old man was he!" as we march down the Camino in lockstep...Oooh Rah! :mrgreen: :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Vinotinto wrote:and we're Jarheads!

Without going into the entire lexicon of descriptions of Marines...a Jarhead is both a description and a term of endearment. To the unwashed...if you come upon a Marine (from most nations that have Marines) you will notice that they follow the Prussian habit of cutting all their hair on the top of their heads with the exception of that on the very top. Not to be confused with the "bowl cut", the Jarhead had a specific purpose, or actually several.

The head is both a hard area and an unprotected area. So we wear helmets. Not all of which have much padding. Therefore, more hair on top...more padding. Now, Marines serve in every clime and place!

By allowing hair on the very top, it shades the head and protects from sun burn, while in the winter time, it insulates that area where 30 percent or more of body heat is lost.

Now, the more gross in the military ranks, indicate the reason the Marines, from whatever country have "jar heads" is so, that after the war is over and the Marines return victorious, a medical officer meets the arriving troop ship. As each Marine disembarks, the doctor unscrews the "jarhead" scoops out the berserker and reinserts the boy his Mom remembers and loves.

A wonderful tale isn't it! I think so.

Arn

My dad, a career Air Force grunt, often brought homesick Marines to our house for Sunday lunch. (he worked for NATO, so the forces had to mix up a lot.) Darrel, one of the favorite Marines, was from Mississippi. I can remember asking him why Marines were called ´jarheads.´

He said he reckoned it was because jars were what you keep moonshine in, and most Marines couldn´t wait to soak their heads in likker whenever they got the chance!

The tale is true. And it could be why my dad strictly forbid us girls from ever dating Marines. (why we could barely speak to Navy guys is another thing entirely.)

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back