• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Finesterre/Muxia circuit

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
On my spring 2020 camino I may plan some extra time and would like to walk this circuit, or at least a portion of it and I am bringing a newbie along this time.
I have already walked from Muxia to Finesterre twice. Walking from Santiago, which is the better portion to add if we only walk to one...walking to Finesterre, or to Muxia? Your opinions, please and "why" you prefer one over the other! Thanks!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I've bussed to Muxia, spent 2 nights and love that village! Then I walked on to Finesterre for 2 nights via an overnight in Lires. I then bussed from Finesterre back to Santiago. I am looking for opinions on which is more interesting...the walk from Santiago to Muxia or the walk from Santiago to Finesterre. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve only walked from SdC to Finisterre and then on to Muxia. Twice. The first time I went to Finisterre, it was very busy and I hated it. The second time it was much quieter and much more enjoyable.
My favourite place is Muxia, though. Magic 😎

On my spring 2020 camino I may plan some extra time and would like to walk this circuit, or at least a portion of it and I am bringing a newbie along this time.
I have already walked from Muxia to Finesterre twice. Walking from Santiago, which is the better portion to add if we only walk to one...walking to Finesterre, or to Muxia? Your opinions, please and "why" you prefer one over the other! Thanks!
I walked both but I still prefer Fisterra. Maybe because it was the first. You never really forget the first one, eh ;)

There's just a day or day and a half of different route to both (from Hospital) although for me the walk to Muxia can be more evenly distributed in 4 stages (20km+ something) if you stay overnight in Negreira, Sta.Marina, Dumbria and Muxia.
For Fisterra there are lots of possible stops and even nice overnight detours. I did it 4 times and rarely slept in the same village/albergue but the stages are shorter/longer than suggested above for Muxia.

Why I prefer Fisterra? First of all the stretch just after that factory (after Hospital and Fisterra/Muxia split) is the highlight for me. And first glimpse of the ocean nearing Cee. And descending to Cee on that knee busting incline with such a views I could cry. And then a stop in a bar in Sardineiro sitting almost on the deserted sandy beach (that's a ritual). And approaching Fisterra on its 2km long beach ...............
For me it's a beauty.

And I also prefer Fisterra over Muxia as a town too...

Happy planning ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked both but I still prefer Fisterra. Maybe because it was the first. You never really forget the first one, eh ;)

There's just a day or day and a half of different route to both (from Hospital) although for me the walk to Muxia can be more evenly distributed in 4 stages (20km+ something) if you stay overnight in Negreira, Sta.Marina, Dumbria and Muxia.
For Fisterra there are lots of possible stops and even nice overnight detours. I did it 4 times and rarely slept in the same village/albergue but the stages are shorter/longer than suggested above for Muxia.

Why I prefer Fisterra? First of all the stretch just after that factory (after Hospital and Fisterra/Muxia split) is the highlight for me. And first glimpse of the ocean nearing Cee. And descending to Cee on that knee busting incline with such a views I could cry. And then a stop in a bar in Sardineiro sitting almost on the deserted sandy beach (that's a ritual). And approaching Fisterra on its 2km long beach ...............
For me it's a beauty.

And I also prefer Fisterra over Muxia as a town too...

Happy planning ;)
Thank you, Kinky, for your very detailed response! I am looking forward to continue walking beyond Santiago for the first time. Your enthusiasm and good memories are motivating!

I have no history with either route but decided to finish with Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre only because the bus route back to Santiago where I take a shuttle to go to airport is much simpler and less time than going back from Muxia. Let us know what you decide and how it went for you. Post Camino feedback is so helpful and enjoyable to read. Buen Camino 😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back