• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago fisterra in three days

Aaronloughrey

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the coastal route next summer 2017
Hola peregrinos!
After a fantastic three week camino from Bilbao to Santiago last summer, we have decided to attempt a three day camino to Fisterra at the end of July! We arrive at santiago airport early on a monday morning and depart from santiago very early the following Thursday. We have a few questions:

1. Is it worth getting the credentials? We want to get started walking as soon as possible on arrival and wont have much time to spare leaving Fisterra - can you get certificates in Fisterra? Are there long queues? The experience and journey are more important to us than a bit of paper but it would be nice if it wasn't time intrusive...

2. We are concerned about getting back to the airport for our 7am flight. Our thoughts are to travel back to SDC as late as we can on the wednesday but monbus have only two journeys per day on their website, the latest being 7pm. I'd worry about arriving in fisterra and having no time to enjoy it, or that we don't make the bus as there are too many peregrinos - we don't want to arrive and then wait at a bus stop in order to secure a place, wasting time. How much might a taxi be from fisterra to Santiago? Would one be easy to hire?
If it is similar to an overnight hotel we might consider taxiing direct to airport and crashing there a few hours pre flight, allowing us to enjoy fisterra. (We arent over keen on staying or spending time in Santiago).

I think that's all for the moment! We've walked long days previously so are aware of the three day challenge... Our craziest was Laredo to Santander in one day (including ferries!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can get your Fisterrana at the municipal albergue in Fisterra. There was no queue when I was there last year, but I'm sure it depends on the time of day and how many pilgrims are there to check into the albergue or get their certificate.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you looked at walking it in reverse? Getting from Santiago to Finisterre early Monday morning might be easier than Finisterre to Santiago Wed evening.
Jill

Hi!

I'll be doing Santiago to Finisterre during Easter, taking three days as well.
I'll let you know how it went afterwards!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year there was a bus strike, and we took a taxi back from Finisterre, divided between the 4 of us, it was cheaper than the bus. We loved Finisterre and would have spent more time there if possible.

Off topic : After not being in a car for weeks, we were all completely freaked out by the speed of car travel after nothing but walking for weeks

Last year there was a bus strike, and we took a taxi back from Finisterre, divided between the 4 of us, it was cheaper than the bus. We loved Finisterre and would have spent more time there if possible.

Off topic : After not being in a car for weeks, we were all completely freaked out by the speed of car travel after nothing but walking for weeks

Oh fantastic! How much was it and how easy was it to book?

It was 90 Euros, and we asked our albergue to call for us. We had to wait about 40 minutes. If you pre-book it would be better. We expected the fee to be more as with the bus strike we didn't have a lot of options.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been in the Compostela office an hour or so before a bus departure from Fisterre and it was busy. But remember that not many actually do this camino. On the other side, 2018 is expected to be another record year.

For me, Muxia is more important and my plan is to go to Muxia and finally Fisterre. Compostelas can be acquired at both locations. But, as mentioned above, a Credenciel is required. Why not order in advance of the trip and have it mailed? No waiting in Santiago.

Hi!

As mentioned before, I've just came back from Finisterre and it was amazing!

We started in Santiago on Friday morning, the weather wasn't helping but we endured!
The first stage is "short" and now, having done it, I would stretch it a bit, from Negreira to A Pena. Instead of 21km (Santiago - Finisterre), we should have done 29 (Santiago - A Pena).
In Negreira the Albergue Municipal was full and we stayed at the Albergue El Carmen.

Saturday we were feeling good, it wasn't raining, and we stretched it a bit. Instead of Oliveiroa, we stayed in Hospital, at the Albergue o Casteliño, which was really nice. We ended up with a 38.5km stage.

On Sunday we got up really early and by 11am we were in Cee. We took it easy afterwards and got to Finisterre by 5pm. It was an amazing feeling!
We got back to Playa Langosteira and a couple of friends went for a (very cold) bath in the ocean!

We took a taxi back to Santiago (the bus takes 3h, leaves at 7pm so we thought it wasn't worth it) and stayed at the Seminario Mayor.

After having done the Camino Inglés, I actually prefer Santiago-Finisterre. The views, the trails... There are fewer places to stop and eat and drink, but it feels more authentic.

Now we have to go back and do Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre..... :D

Hi!

As mentioned before, I've just came back from Finisterre and it was amazing!

We started in Santiago on Friday morning, the weather wasn't helping but we endured!
The first stage is "short" and now, having done it, I would stretch it a bit, from Negreira to A Pena. Instead of 21km (Santiago - Finisterre), we should have done 29 (Santiago - A Pena).
In Negreira the Albergue Municipal was full and we stayed at the Albergue El Carmen.

Saturday we were feeling good, it wasn't raining, and we stretched it a bit. Instead of Oliveiroa, we stayed in Hospital, at the Albergue o Casteliño, which was really nice. We ended up with a 38.5km stage.

On Sunday we got up really early and by 11am we were in Cee. We took it easy afterwards and got to Finisterre by 5pm. It was an amazing feeling!
We got back to Playa Langosteira and a couple of friends went for a (very cold) bath in the ocean!

We took a taxi back to Santiago (the bus takes 3h, leaves at 7pm so we thought it wasn't worth it) and stayed at the Seminario Mayor.

After having done the Camino Inglés, I actually prefer Santiago-Finisterre. The views, the trails... There are fewer places to stop and eat and drink, but it feels more authentic.

Now we have to go back and do Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre..... :D
Oh thats great to hear! I think well do similar! Was the taxi easy to book? Do you remember how much it cost? Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh thats great to hear! I think well do similar! Was the taxi easy to book? Do you remember how much it cost? Thanks!
I think I still have the taxi's number if you want it, we got in Cee and just called him to book it.
It was 90€, but we were 5 people, so it was a 7 seat taxi. Don't know if the smaller ones are cheaper...

1. Is it worth getting the credentials?

We always use the previous years until full , regardless which Came o you are on.

t was 90€, but we were 5 people
Great way to return , can be organised before you leave if you know where you are staying.
Many a group return this way.

We arrive at santiago airport early on a monday morning and depart from santiago very early the following Thursday

As you have previously been in SDC , leave a day earlier and enjoy Finasterre .

We always use the previous years until full , regardless which Came o you are on.

Great way to return , can be organised before you leave if you know where you are staying.
Many a group return this way.

As you have previously been in SDC , leave a day earlier and enjoy Finasterre .
Hi, what do you mean by credentials, Please thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, what do you mean by credentials, Please thanks
In Oz we get a little booklet which takes about 6 stamps each page .
At the end of each Camino we have always had space to commence the next.

Maybe wrong word when i used Credentials , stamp album is better.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back