• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago - Fisterre or...?

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Perhaps a silly question but I am wondering whether it would be better to walk from Santiago to Fisterre and on to Muxia or the other way around?
Whad'ya'all think?
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't think it matters if you aren't bothered about getting the Certificates in Finisterre and Muxia. I walked fom Santiago to Muxia and then round to Finisterre. 'Twas lovely.
Regards

John

Thanks, John:
This what I drove last year and loved it. What about accommodation between Santiago and Muxia? Any (cheap) suggestions? I have a certificate from Fisterre from years ago.
T

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi John - re your reply earlier. To get the certificates from Finistere and Muxia, is it then necassary to walk to Finistere first? If you just wanted a certificate from Muxia is it still necessary to go via Finistere, or can you take the diversion on the way? Is there a bus service to Compostela from Muxia? Thanks.
Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hola - if you walk from Santiago to Muxia and collect some sellos on the way they will be happy to giver you the Muxia Certificate. There is a dedicated Pilgrims' Office in Muxia and a luxurious albergue :)

There are buses from Muxia to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Johnnie. If the Good Lord's willing [and the creeks don't rise] I'll make it to Muxia in mid-May next year.

Alan

Can anyone tell me please at what times the bus runs from Muxia to Compostela on a Sunday?

Alan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mig

Thanks for your prompt reply. Very helpful.

Alan

Sorry my ignorance, but why are people going to Muxia? :)

Finisterre was "the end of the world", so I thought that's also where pilgrims ended their journey.
Is Muxia another place where pilgrims went/go for traditional purposes?

To be honest, I think many of us continue on to Muxia so that we can just keep walking. :D But I know there is a historical basis that escapes my mind right now. The church on the rocky point is a spectacular location and is the source of its own pilgrimage, I've been told.

The only thing I would add about the choice between Santiago-Fisterre-Muxia vs. Santiago-Muxia-Fisterre, is that the although Fisterre feels more like an appropriate ending point to me (out at the lighthouse), if you walk Santiago to Muxia to Fisterre, you miss the Hospital - Fisterre part of the walk. That stage includes some walking on the moors till you hit the place where you can see the ocean and then descend to Cee. And there's a lot of nice beach walking on that segment as you get closer to Fisterre, which is very nice for those of us who live far from an ocean.

Frankly, I was surprised at how "inland" the Fisterre-Muxia walk was. Right before Muxia there was an option to walk through dunes and on the beach, but most of it is on small roads through rural developments. And now that the death-defying hop across the river has been eased by a real bridge, all the fun is gone!

so all this is to say there are pros and cons each way, and the only way to solve the dilemma,I guess, is to do a complete circle -- Santiago - Fisterre-Muxia-Santiago and see it all.

buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Vigdis,

a few years ago [06] we were have a pulpo in Melide.
A bit tired and nearing the end of our camino.
Outside a group of elderly men on Harleys pulled up. They were spanish and having a ride.
We move up on the communal chairs to allow all to sit......a got a pitcher of red from the lads which was our third and not needed.
On hearing our Australian voices they immediately shower appreciation on a travel from afar.
** they then offered their thoughts ** the hearts of the spanish is Muxia.
A year later we found that on walking the camino from Porto that Padron was the original stop from Portugal and not Santiago.
Never sit in the front row my Dad once said and you will see more.
David

If you want to finish your Camino in solitutde then walk Hospital to Muxia.

In June 2009 I did not meet a single pilgrim and walked all day by myself. Heavenly. :lol:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back