• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago/Muxía/Fisterra - August, 2008

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Diedre, your photos were spectacular!
Do you recall the date of the fiesta in Muxia?

So where did you cut off to go to Muxia?
Then did you walk into Fisterra then bus back to Santiago?

Wow! You've convinced us we have to do this little stretch this trip. Maybe this is the answer to waiting out the heat.

Muchas Gracias!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Annie,
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the photos! It is a beautiful route!

I arrived in Muxía on August 10, 2008. After going to the albergue ( it is quite a long walk from Olveiroa), I went down to the Basilica de la VIrgen de la Barca and was fortunate to be in time for Mass! Since it was a festival day, and if I remember correctly, a Sunday, there were crowds of people in the area, climbing on the rocks, everywhere! So I took a few photos and headed back to the village. I was alone, and met very few Pilgrims along this route. Those whom I did meet, did not go to Muxía but rather directly out to Fisterra.

When you leave Olveiroa, the next place you come to is Hospital. Shortly after it, there is a roundabout - it is quite a big intersection of roads. You go off to the left to go for Fisterra, or continue straight or kind of right for Muxía. It is well marked, you are going towards Dumbria.

I did walk on to Fisterra - you might read my post along the other thread regarding the river I couldn't cross. I walked alone in an Atlantic storm... driving rain, wind and fog ... plus the river and the detour - nearly 42 km for nearly 10 hours. I'm sure on a fine day, it is fabulous, but it was without a doubt my worst day ever on a Camino! :( When I finally got to Fisterra, the albergue was closed due to water leakage! Even so, I got some great photos, and have a few great stories! haha :lol: I must have looked like a drowned rat, because a poor woman took pity on me and ran out of a store to ask if I was looking for lodging. It could have cost 50€ per night at that point, I didn't care! It was only 20€, a big, double, dry bed with a bath - pure heaven!

After that, I had had enough. I originally intended to walk back to Santiago, but I was exhausted and decided to take the bus. Typically, the next day was the most gorgeous of days ever! So I went up to the lighthouse, enjoyed the view and caught the bus back.

The full round trip walk is a week - particularly if you decide to stop at Corcubión. But, I think it is worth it, and would do it again. And while fewer people tend to go to Muxía, it is beautiful. If you go the the tourist office there, they will give you a lovely certificate, and ship it home for you free! And then in Fisterra, you get another certificate for having walked there. And all along the Way, they will stamp your credencial.

Buen Camino,

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back