• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre

MSilva1985

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 - Camino Portugues (Porto - Santiago Compostela)
2015 - Camino Finisterre (Santiago Compostela - Muxia - Finisterre)
2016 - Camino Ingles (Ferrol - Santiago Compostela)
2017 - Camino Frances (Saint Jean Pied Port - Santiago Compostela)
Hello to all

I'm planning to walk the Camino of Santiago-Muxia-Finisterra next year, and for now I'm just trying to gather all the information I can about it, and because of that i discover this interesting forum.

I am think in doing it in 4 stages, 1 from Santiago to Negreira, 2 from Negreira to Olveiroa, 3 from Olveiroa, to Muxia, and the last one from Muxia to Finisterre, is this camino well marked? There are cheape places or pilgrims shelters to spend the night and rest in this villages?

Obviously i will need a credential to do this path, is it the same or i should buy a special one to go to Finisterre, if yes where can i buy it in Santiago?

When i get Finisterre i am thinking of returning to Santiago by bus, can i get a Compostela for this it will be at least 116Km however i won't finish exactly in Santiago like all the other pilgrimages.

I think for now this are the only doubts i've, although i will update this post when need, hope you all can help me

Best regards to all, and thanks for all the possibles reply's

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am think in doing it in 4 stages, 1 from Santiago to Negreira, 2 from Negreira to Olveiroa, 3 from Olveiroa, to Muxia, and the last one from Muxia to Finisterre, is this camino well marked? There are cheape places or pilgrims shelters to spend the night and rest in this villages?

Obviously i will need a credential to do this path, is it the same or i should buy a special one to go to Finisterre, if yes where can i buy it in Santiago?

When i get Finisterre i am thinking of returning to Santiago by bus, can i get a Compostela for this it will be at least 116Km however i won't finish exactly in Santiago like all the other pilgrimages.
Your stages will work. There are albergues along the route. The route is well marked. You can get a new credential, or use your old one. There is one available on a sheet of paper at the Galicia Tourist Office or the albergue in Negreira. You do not get a compostela for walking from Santiago. It is only for walking to the tomb of St. James for at least 100km. There is a completion certificate available in Fisterra from the municipal albergue.

Your stages will work. There are albergues along the route. The route is well marked. You can get a new credential, or use your old one. There is one available on a sheet of paper at the Galicia Tourist Office or the albergue in Negreira. You do not get a compostela for walking from Santiago. It is only for walking to the tomb of St. James for at least 100km. There is a completion certificate available in Fisterra from the municipal albergue.

Hi again, thanks for the reply it was was a great help for now, I suppose this Galicia Tourist Office is somewhere in Santiago de Compostela, i will look for it.
So about the certificate you mean that instead of the Compostela i will a "Finisterre Certificate"

Once again thanks for all the info

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
MSilva, the Galician Tourist office is on the same street as the Pilgrim Office, the opposite side of the street about 100 metres away. In addition to the Finisterra completion certificate available from the municipal albergue in Finisterre you should also be able to get a Muxiana certificate from the municipal albergue in Muxia but I seem to recall from a different thread that there is now a €2 charge for this. As Falcon has already mentioned, the Compostela is only available for those who have walked at least the last 100 kms or cycled the last 200 kms into Santiago de Compostela.

Buen camino

Seamus

The Pilgrim office near the Church in Santiago is where people get their Compostella. The office staff will give you the Credential for the walk to Finistere. You don't have to wait in line with those getting their Get out of Hell Compostellas--just tell an attendant you want the Finisterre Credential and he will guide you to the head of the line. They are in several different languages, but the day I received one they only had them in German.

In Santiago the Galician Tourist Office/TurGalicia at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral also provides a good free list of ALL services on the caminos to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, pilgrim albergues, tourist lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is most helpful.

Check out these earlier threads in this Forum topic to see varied opinions on which way to go first: --
beware of the Fisterra- Muxia route;
walking from Santiago to Muxia;
from Santiago to Finisterre.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

MM

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got the certificate in Muxia in may this year and did not have to pay for it.

I walked with someone who last year walked from santiago to muxia and then finisterre and did not get the muxia certificate bacause in muxia they wanted you to have the midway stamp inbetween finisterre and muxia.
I thought this to be strange.
Has anybody else had this also?

I walked to Finisterre and Muxia this year, and know that the Finisterre-Muxia stage is an issue no matter which way you go, at least in regards to the public albergues and the two certificates.

If you arrive in Muxia from Finisterre or in Finisterre from Muxia, you must have a stamp from Lires, which is the only town with bars on that stage. If not, you may be denied access to the albergue and the certificate. According to the hospitaleros , too many people try to scam them.

When I was standing in line in Finisterre this year, a guy was denied a bed because he had no stamp and had come from Muxia. There were two others behind me whom I knew had taken a cab from Muxia to Finisterre but they knew about the stamp issue and had stopped in Lires for a coffee. If you can believe that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked to finisterre with my last overnight stop being the municipal in Dumbria. When arriving in Finisterre albergue they looked at the stamps, looked at us and asked with a huge questionmark: did you really sleep there last night? Euh yes we did. Its not the normal way, but yes.
It wasnt that they didn't believe us (i asume), but apparently they had never seen anybody take that detour before. We then got our finisterre compostella and a bed :)

In muxia the next day the only thing they looked at was the stamp from Lires and then we got the muxiana. They did not even look at us. Hmmm.

All alone? In the big one? Echo echoooo

I was there in may. There were around 7 people in that big albergue. Still not alot.
They were all on their way to muxia, while we were going to finisterre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was standing in line in Finisterre this year, a guy was denied a bed because he had no stamp and had come from Muxia. There were two others behind me whom I knew had taken a cab from Muxia to Finisterre but they knew about the stamp issue and had stopped in Lires for a coffee. If you can believe that.
This year there were several pilgrims who were still in the albergue at Muxia when I left that must have passed me without my noticing on their way to Muxia. They were finishing their lunch at the bar in Lires when I arrived. But then, I walk slowly and might just have missed a group of half a dozen rowdy pilgrims!

I walked to finisterre with my last overnight stop being the municipal in Dumbria. When arriving in Finisterre albergue they looked at the stamps, looked at us and asked with a huge questionmark: did you really sleep there last night? Euh yes we did. Its not the normal way, but yes.
It wasnt that they didn't believe us (i asume), but apparently they had never seen anybody take that detour before. We then got our finisterre compostella and a bed :)

In muxia the next day the only thing they looked at was the stamp from Lires and then we got the muxiana. They did not even look at us. Hmmm.

Hi Again

Not that make much difference because its only a piece of paper and its not because of them i do the camino , but walking from Santiago to Muxia and then to Finisterra with the same credential allows me to get 2 diffrents certificates "muxiana and finisterrana" if i get all the Stamps, there are no minimum KM to recieve it?

Sorry for this question but yesterday i did not even know that a finisterres certificate existed and today i discovered that i can get one in Muxia too

You must walk from Santiago to Muxia and/or Finisterre to get the certificates. The Muxiana is no longer given at the albergue, but rather at the tourist office in town. The municipal albergue in Finisterre gives out the Fisterrana.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@peregrina2000

Since when is the muxiana not given at the albergue anymore? I got mine there last may. Did it chancge in the last 2 months?

I stayed at the Bela Muxia albergue last week. I had not planned to get the Muxiana but when I went up to the municipal albergue to meet some friends I thought I'd get it.

The hospitalero told me I had to go to the tourist office for it. He looked at me like I was crazy when I said I had always gotten mine at the albergue. I thought it was kind of strange at the time in fact. I never did go to the tourist office so I can't tell you if they are actually available there.

I had always stayed at the municipal albergue in the past, so maybe they only give them there to people who stay there. Or maybe he was just in a bad mood or something. Anyone else have a recent experience?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, i did not stay there, but did get it.

Awell, things change, but a tourist office just doesn't seem like a fitting place to get the muxiana. Imo

DSCF2433.JPG I guess I am amazed and confused by those who scam the certificate/compostella process. Who cares if you get the paper it really is the journey that counts!! Last year we walked into Santiago on Ascension Eve and the last 100k was really crowded with folks trying to get to Santiago for Ascension. We took this pic of two women jumping out of a cab to get a stamp at one of the bars along the way.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hahahaha, how sad :)

In Muxia last June I was informed that I needed to go to the Ayuntamiento to get a certificate. It was closed as it was a Sunday. I received my Muxiana at the albergue even though I did not stay there.
On the topic of Touringos - while we were chilling one afternoon at Foncebado on the Frances (just before the Cruz de Ferro) a bus stopped. Lots of (I think Japanese, but who knows) alighted. Then taking it in pairs they entered the bar for a sello. The group then walked of towards the Cruz and the bus also left after a while (presumably to collect them).

In Muxia last June I was informed that I needed to go to the Ayuntamiento to get a certificate. It was closed as it was a Sunday. I received my Muxiana at the albergue even though I did not stay there.
On the topic of Touringos - while we were chilling one afternoon at Foncebado on the Frances (just before the Cruz de Ferro) a bus stopped. Lots of (I think Japanese, but who knows) alighted. Then taking it in pairs they entered the bar for a sello. The group then walked of towards the Cruz and the bus also left after a while (presumably to collect them).
some days i was really angry with the bus groups other days i shrugged my shoulders and thought its their loss,my sis ter linda just reminded me of one day when we had walked for ages and we were all tired and very sore, this particular bus group pushed passed us in the line for both food and toilet,one member actually took my seat while i was struggling to take off my backpack,i put it down to the pack mentality but it kind of turned into them and us which is a pity because before that we just felt so lucky to be walking with like minded people,i would like to think that no matter where we are we should have a little respect for people that may need a seat or in this case have traveled by foot with bags when you may have sat on a bus and walked with a prepacked lunch and a bottle of water?ok am angry with them today tomorrow i might just feel sorry for them as they will not have half the tales or great meetings that we shabby walkers will have :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
peregrina2000, I arrived in Muxia on a Sunday afternoon last June, made my way to the munical albergue expecting to have to go the the council offices on Monday morning to collect my muxiana but to my surprise there was a supply of muxianas in the albergue and was able to get mine there and then. Can't say whether this was a Sunday only arrangement to facilitate those who might want to be on their way early on Monday or for some other reason.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back