• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago - Muxia - Santiago Airport

brambles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inca (2018)
Camino Frances (June/July 2019)
Camino Portugues (June/July 2020)
Hello Everyone!

It is really cold and gloomy here in Chicago and my thoughts are constantly turning to the warmth of the Spanish sun this summer and a (hopefully) warm and sunny day along the Atlantic coast at the end of the Camino Frances with my family. We will be finished walking and would just like to spend a brief time in Muxia before we head back to Madrid and then home. I am planning to book Santiago to Madrid flights this week.
This is our plan:
-Saturday, 27 July night in Santiago
-Sunday, 28 July leave Santiago early to Muxia, spend the day and then night
-Monday 29 July day in Muxia. We need to be in Madrid this night and I am thinking about booking 5:40 p.m. flights from Santiago to Madrid. It seems that it takes about an hour and a half to drive from Muxia to the Santiago airport(?)

So here are my questions (other threads asking similar questions are a bit dated): I am thinking that a taxi (or other hired driver) might be our best option to drive us (four people) from Santiago to Muxia and Muxia to the airport. Does anyone know of a private driver for four people and the cost? Or is there a reliable, regular bus service doing both of these routes?
How much time should we allow to get from Muxia to the Santiago airport if we take a 5:40 p.m. flight? I am thinking maybe leave Muxia at 3 p.m.? Does that sound about right?

Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's a twice daily bus service between Santiago and Muxia with Grupo Ferrin (Don't worry, Be happy!)

If you're planning to take a 5:40 flight from Santiago airport, you could either get the morning bus from Muxia to Santiago or get a taxi. I think a 3pm departure would be a bit daredevil. If you take a taxi, I'd suggest leaving by 2pm at the latest. Google maps estimates 1 hour 15 minutes for the drive, but weather and traffic could easily stretch that. You could contact a taxi firm to get their advice on timings and a quote. I'd expect the cost to be around 150 Euros:

Hello Everyone!

It is really cold and gloomy here in Chicago and my thoughts are constantly turning to the warmth of the Spanish sun this summer and a (hopefully) warm and sunny day along the Atlantic coast at the end of the Camino Frances with my family. We will be finished walking and would just like to spend a brief time in Muxia before we head back to Madrid and then home. I am planning to book Santiago to Madrid flights this week.
This is our plan:
-Saturday, 27 July night in Santiago
-Sunday, 28 July leave Santiago early to Muxia, spend the day and then night
-Monday 29 July day in Muxia. We need to be in Madrid this night and I am thinking about booking 5:40 p.m. flights from Santiago to Madrid. It seems that it takes about an hour and a half to drive from Muxia to the Santiago airport(?)

So here are my questions (other threads asking similar questions are a bit dated): I am thinking that a taxi (or other hired driver) might be our best option to drive us (four people) from Santiago to Muxia and Muxia to the airport. Does anyone know of a private driver for four people and the cost? Or is there a reliable, regular bus service doing both of these routes?
How much time should we allow to get from Muxia to the Santiago airport if we take a 5:40 p.m. flight? I am thinking maybe leave Muxia at 3 p.m.? Does that sound about right?

Thank you!

A couple of years ago, during a bus strike, @OzAnnie and another random person found by the Bela Muxia albergue and I took a cab back to Santiago from Muxia. I can’t remember the exact price,but it was very cheap for the three of us and it made me think that the cost-benefit ratio comparison between bus and taxi was pretty obvious. Next time I am in Muxia, I will hope to find others to share a cab. With four, you should definitely take a cab. Santiago is closer to Muxia than the airport is, but even with the extra kms added on, I would definitely go for a cab. There are plenty of Muxia cabs and your hotel or albergue in Muxia will set you up with one the night before.

As far as timing goes, I would leave Muxia no later than 2pm, but that’s just me. As a friend tells me, there are two classes of people —those who like to get to the airport and wait, and those who like to run from the curb to the boarding gate. I am in the former group.

Muxia is a perfect way to end your camino,btw.

Buen camino from a not-as-cold-as-you downstate Illinoisan. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both so much for your replies! The link to Nacho's taxi service is especially helpful! I have sent him an email. Thanks @Raggy! I can't seem to find the location of the bus pickup/drop off or the pricing on the bus website but I am thinking that unless the price difference (once I find out what it is :) between bus vs. taxi is substantial, then the convenience and flexibility of a driver will be worth it You know, it's funny @perigrina2000, our family is notoriously early (almost to a fault) for just about everything! I am always trying to balance leaving time for the unexpected but not having us wish we hadn't "wasted" too much time waiting in places such as airports. I was thinking that the Santiago airport is most likely small and might not take so much time to check in etc. but I will definitely take the advice from both of you and leave around for the airport from Muxia closer to 2.

The taxi service responded to my inquiry and I thought I would share the info here for anyone else who might be interested. They said they can pick us up in Santiago, drive to Muxia and then Muxia to the airport the next day for 70 euros each way (140 Euros round trip). This is for four people. Still not sure how this price compares to the bus price but I think I am o.k. with the cost.

The taxi service responded to my inquiry and I thought I would share the info here for anyone else who might be interested. They said they can pick us up in Santiago, drive to Muxia and then Muxia to the airport the next day for 70 euros each way (140 Euros round trip). This is for four people. Still not sure how this price compares to the bus price but I think I am o.k. with the cost.
Just for comparison, I tried to find the bus price. In 2015, it was almost 8 euros per person to get from Muxia to Santiago on the bus. Factor in, too, that I think, once you get to Santiago's bus station, you would have to get off and transfer to an airport bus. Taxi seems reasonable.

And with the ride direct from Muxia to the airport coming in at about an hour and a half, I would push back the departure time to to 2:30 or even 3 as you had earlier suggested. Getting through that airport doesn't take much time at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the bus fare per person should be about 8€ to Muxia and 3€ to the airport.
I'd rather opt for car rental. Shifted gear is common, but automatic gear can be pre-booked.

How do you feel about a night bus to Madrid airport (21:30-7:30 48€ / 22:30-7:00 60€)?
Train is 3:12pm or 5pm to Madrid Chamartin (~55€ without discounts). You can't book now, it's too early.

Maybe you can find a better flight from A Coruña.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back