• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago on July 25th

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
I am planning a camino of about 1750 kms (Paray le Monial - Le Puy en Velay - SJPP - Santiago) starting the beginning of May. I have been trying to estimate how long it will take. If I calculate with an average of 22 kms a day (I will walk a bit more most of the days, but I will have restdays too), I seem to arrive exactly on July 25th in Santiago.

Of course it is impossible to predict the exact day of arrival, but how much effort should I take to avoid arriving on the 25th? Do the celebrations take days, or is it just the 25th? I mean, will it be a lot less crowded if I would for example arrive on the 22nd or the 28th? Or will there be a bubble anyhow around the 25th?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Luka, I cannot answer your question about the 25th but........ as to your Camino... wow...... I have Camino envy :), I wish I had your youth and fitness. Enjoy every step and Buen Camino.

I know, I am very excited about my Big Journey! Have been trying to make this possible since the summer of 2012, and now it is going to happen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The main points to consider is that a lot of pilgrims will want to arrive for that date in Santiago (plus a lot of tourists/other visitors will be also there). The main celebrations are on the 25th but some take place on the days before, after the 25th things tend to calm down a bit. Here is what I would do:

Reserve a bed in Santiago very, very early on, as soon as you know when you will arrive. This will reduce the stress of arrival and of finding a place to sleep greatly.
Spend the last night in Monte de Gozo, normally no problems of finding a bed there! And you can start early the next day, giving you plenty of time to arrive both physically and mentally after such a long walk.

@JohnnieWalker and others might be able to tell you if any masses are 'ticket only' on the 25th and the exact time schedule of the celebrations.

Buen Camino! SY

How did I miss this post? I've been working on a similar schedule myself. I made a spreadsheet using the Gronze website (in Spanish), and came out with 74 days Le Puy to Santiago, including five rest days, the Vallée du Célé detour, and a stop in Orisson. This seems to be in line with other Camino blogs that I've read.

(Not that I'll follow any pre-set stages, but it's nice to have a framework to start with).

I can't find it at the moment, but there's a great post on the forums about arriving on the 25th. The writer advised against it - the square is closed to people with backpacks, and there are horrendous lines for the compostela - and said it was far better to arrive one or two days earlier.

@MichaelC funny, so we might have the same 'problem' then. What is your starting date from Le Puy? Probably a few days ahead of me, as I calculated 69 days for Le Puy - Santiago. Would be nice to meet another non-French walker on the Chemin du Puy :) I actually would prefer to avoid the 25th as I am not a big fan of big crowds, but on the other hand I can imagine that it makes arriving extra special.

@SYates thanks for your advice! Reserving as early as possible will most likely mean guessing and cancelling if my date of arrival changes. I might miss Monte de Gozo, because I am seriously considering to switch to the Camino de Invierno after Ponferrada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Luka - I'm actually looking at 2016. I have to lock my dates in early to take the time off of work.

My target dates are to leave Le Puy the Tuesday or Wednesday after Ascension Day, and to arrive in Santiago 2-3 days before the Feast of St. James. A couple other posts have sold me on the idea, and there's always the continuation to Finisterre if we need quiet time at the end! (and if we can still walk).

For the final stretch, a detour to the Primitivo looks real tempting. I won't know if that's a real option until I reach León, but it's fun dreaming of all the different variations.

Hi Luka, the big night is July 24, where the town puts on a stunning light show on the façade of the Cathedral and there are fireworks afterward. July 25th is the actual holiday, with stores and such closed (and probably the horrendous lines at the Pilgrim´s Office). But I agree with others - try to book accommodations as soon as possible, and if you can arrive a few days before or after July 25th it may be better than arriving only a couple days before or after. I see now that July 25th is a Saturday, too - it´s going to be a crazy weekend. The light show is pretty cool, though!
Take care and Buen Camino,
Faith

Ah, thanks! That's why it's (now already) even harder to find a bed or a room on Friday the 24th :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can get somewhere to stay at short notice in the run up to the 25th, most places that you will look at online will be booked well in advance but in Santiago through word of mouth places will turn up. I arrived on the 22 July found a room for 2 nights in Pension Felicia and they rang around and got me somewhere to stay for the night of the 24th just across the road in a vacant student room. The 24th is the crazy day the queue for the Cathedral goes from a few dozen to a few hundred. I was expecting the 25th to be along the same lines but when I got a taxi at midday to the train station, the square and other places seemed to be really relaxed like the storm had passed in the early morning celebrations.

You can see the lazer and audio display in the square in the early morning of the 24th. They do a trial run at around 1ish, I have seen other light shows there in advance so knew to wander over, the square had about 100 people they were mostly locals who probably do this every year, they do not have to pack in on the evening of the 24th if they want to see it. It is quite nice to sit in the middle of the square and see the entire lazer show, the people in the parador know about it, the balconies become packed.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back