• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago or Roma

Walking_Brewer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Camino Portuguese
Via Francigena
Hi friends,

Back in April of this year my partner and I organised plenty of time off to walk Camino de Santiago this coming April/May. She has previously walked Camino Portuguese whilst I have done neither. Long story short, her Father has bought a house just south of Rome and will be there whilst we were supposed to be in Europe/walking Camino de Santiago. We are trying to decide on whether we no long walk Camino de Santiago but instead walk Via Francigena from Lucca to Roma.

Both my parents are from Italy, and I have never been so it would be an incredible way to see a part of Italy, plus my Grandad is from Lucca. We are just worried about the lack of signage/waypoints and how easily it will be for us to get accommodation at each location, as the Camino de Santiago is well setup for pilgrimage but Via Francigena not so much.

Just curious on peoples thoughts.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
With historical and familial connections like that I would be walking from Lucca.
But you? If I told you that you had to do that one would you prefer to end up in Santiago?
Might help you decide!

Last summer I walked from Canterbury to Rome. This year I walked the Camino Frances again. Although there is less accommodation for pilgrims on the Via Francigena there is enough in the Italian sections to make it practical. The number of pilgrims choosing this route is growing and more accommodation is being opened along the way. Signposting is very good along the route and maps can be downloaded free from the official Via Francigena website. You can find maps and accommodation lists on this website: http://www.visit.viefrancigene.org/en/

If you have specific questions about the Via Francigena or want to read other peoples' experiences then you might like to follow the Facebook Via Francigena group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/19899007360/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had hoped to walk from Assisi to Rome earlier in the year but ......
Angela Seracchioli has written a great guide called On the Road with St Francis.
Angela sent me a lovely credencial which hopefully I'll get to use.
Try here for information
http://www.diquipassofrancesco.it/EN/

Pax et bonum

You would be walking what I found to be the best part of the Via Francigena. The waymarking was good way back in 2011 and there was pilgrim accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can pick the best of both Caminos. First a stretch on one of the many Caminos to Santiago. Second an affordable EasyJet flight from Santiago to Milan (Malpensa - 3 times a week) and Third a stretch on the Francigena (easy train travel from Malpensa to Milano Centrale and onwards to a town of choice).:cool:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.