• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Pedicure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caligal

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
Not to sound "girlie" but I think my feet deserve attention for carrying me and my pack 705km (starting in Pamplona), are nail salons as popular in Spain as in US?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not to sound "girlie" but I think my feet deserve attention for carrying me and my pack 705km (starting in Pamplona), are nail salons as popular in Spain as in US?
I go to a foot doctor before I go on the Camino, it's worth paying the forty dollars for great walking.

Better to have your feet (and nails) in tiptop condition before you leave, than try and get them attended to en route..

Not being an aficionado of nail salons, I cannot offer advice on their availability on the camino, but I suspect that the larger population centres such as Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, etc will have them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some people are lucky, I only had one small blister that healed (more or less) by the time I got to Santiago.
However I did see a lot of feet that a poor technician in a mani/pedi salon would not have wanted to touch...

Given you don't know what state your feet will be in by Santiago, a 'before treatment' so they look pretty in your flops flops after your walk each day may be a safer option. Then if you are one of the lucky ones, and still have all your toenails and no toe blisters, then you can treat yourself in Santiago as well.

I always find a trip to the podiatrist beforehand, helps keep them in a good state before I start.

Edited to add, I found that as a pilgrim I found I was not that concerned with my appearance. A day when I actually washed my hair was cause for a round of vino tinto!
But one day in the middle of the Meseta, a mobile massage van came in, and that was the most bliss - ironed out the kinks in my back and legs. Wasn't even cheap, but I would do that again.

Last edited:
I always have a full and complete pedicure here in Florida BEFORE I get on the plane to Spain. This ensures a comfortable walk without issues.

I learned to do this the hard way. In 2013, on my first Camino Frances, I developed blood blisters UNDER the thick callous tissue on both feet. My feet, especially the right one, is prone to rapid callous development. I wear orthotics and supportive hiking boots.

By the time I arrived in Burgos on a Saturday, I was shuffling, taking baby steps. I checked into a 4-star business hotel, intentionally, as I knew someone would speak English. I explained my dilemma and told them I needed: (1) the world's best pedicuro (pedicure); OR a podiatrist; OR a taxi to take me to the A & E (emergency room).

After checking in, taking a shower, and setting my clothes to soak in the tub, the front desk called to tell me I had an appointment with a podiatrist. I went to the doctor, got sorted, had minor surgery in-office, and had to lay-over for two days in Burgos. That Tuesday, I was able to resume my Camino.

Total OOP cost for two visits, including in-office minor surgery to remove the callouses, and treat the underlying blood blisters was €70 (€40 + €30). It was cheap at any price...and saved my Camino.

Bottom line - I now schedule all my annual or semi-annual medical exams, screening tests and procedures to occur in the two to three months just BEFORE my annual Camino. I just went to the dentist. Next week, I will have a haircut. The following Monday, the day before I fly to Spain, I will have my full pedicure, complete with rasping of the callouses with a kitchen weight rasper like you would use to grate cheese (eeuw!), but holding off on nail color :eek:. The joke at the salon is that, if the calluses were any thicker, I would need a farrier (horseshoe guy for horses hooves).

For me, getting ready to do a Camino is like preparing my car for a very long journey. All systems get checked out and sorted before the journey. It makes everything so much easier and less stressful.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walk barefoot a lot, so I think my feet may be similar. Blisters that form under a thick layer of skin are really hard to deal with. I always try to start a Camino with my feet in good order.

To answer the OP's question - no, nail salons aren't as ubiquitous as they are in California, but you will be able to find a salon to pamper your tootsies. :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I suggest you can enquire at the local tourist office. I needed a beard trim in Estella and the two girls in the tourist office naturally did not know, but they enquired around with a series of phone calls and found the name and address of the only barber in Estella that did beard trims. I would think there are bound to be pedicurists in Santiago. And like many other posts I suggest a check with a podiatrist or pedicurist before you leave for your Camino

To also answer OP's question - yes, there are actually quite a few nail salons in Santiago de Compostela. Just google "Santiago de Compostela Pedicure" and they will come up.

There are some closer to the old town center, but for a brand that you probably know, less than 1km from the Cathedral is an OPI nail salon:
Rúa do Xeneral Pardiñas, 29, Santiago de Compostela, 15701 Santiago de Compostela
(Hours are mostly 10a-8, closed Sunday)
www.opinailsalon.es

For me, after my first camino, I had to let my feet settle down for a good long while before I attempted a pedicure, but I hope your luck is different and you enjoy a lovely pedicure to treat yourself after the hike!! Buen Camino to you!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walk barefoot a lot, so I think my feet may be similar. Blisters that form under a thick layer of skin are really hard to deal with. I always try to start a Camino with my feet in good order.

I hardly ever go barefoot, take good care of my feet so under callus blisters arent a concern but thanks for the feedback.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You may still like to have them pretty on the Camino as well, I found the end-of-daily-walk ritual of getting out of my shoes, showering, (washing my clothes), quite refreshing, and got joy out of looking down at my painted toes in their flip flops as I wandered around. I had them done in a bright OPI gel polish, and they looked great.

Last edited:
Yes! Check out Step Inn — StepInnScq on Facebook. I didn’t get my pedicure there, but I did get a massage. Definitely a worthwhile stop and very near the cathedral. Buen Camino~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.