• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Pilgrim Office Volunteers

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
This is a question for those who have volunteered through the pilgrim office in Santiago in the past.

I leave on Saturday to make my way to Santiago so I can start my 2 weeks of volunteering on Tuesday. I am happy and excited to give back to the Camino, which has given so much to me.

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag/liner with me, as I would if I was a pilgrim? Are sheets and blankets provided? I plan to pack at my “pilgrim weight” and use my trusty backpack, but if I don’t need to bring a sleeping bag, I won’t.

Is there anything else I should prepare for and pack that I’m overlooking or am unaware of? Please share your knowledge and experience with me. I’m really not sure what I will be doing or where I will be put to use. Muchas gracias!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year I was hosted in hostal San Martin Pineiro with all facilities
My collegues were staying in albergue San Lázaro but never heard they took their own sleepingbags or whatever

The 2023 invitation of the Pilgrims Office mentioned that all volunteers are lodged in San Lázaro .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I did this in 2019 and we were provided a furnished, private room. At that time, volunteers were hosted in the Convento de Santa Clara, which was comfortable enough. Our wing of the convent had a bathroom in the hallway and a small communal kitchen. The beds came with sheets and blankets.

Sheets, blankets and towels are provided at San Lãzaro.. a bus pass too if you need it, though I walked the 3km or so to and from the PO every day. If you want to know anything more specific about volunteering there, you are welcome to PM me..

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wondering where the invitation to serve at the Pilgrims Office appears as it is something I would like to do in the future.

I volunteered in the Pilgrim Office in June 2018. A true honor, it was a wonderful experience and a great way to give back. I stayed at the Convento Santa Clara, private room with bedding and linens provided. Small shared kitchen, shared bathroom, and laundry onsite. Spartan but comfortable. (There was no wifi at the convent - but I welcomed the chance to unplug.) They even provided a volunteer t-shirt to wear at “work.” During my stay, all the volunteers were assigned to work alongside Pilgrim Office staff greeting pilgrims, verifying credentials, filling out compostelas, and doing simple data entry into the Pilgrim database. Easy but incredibly gratifying work. I absolutely loved being an ambassador of the Pilgrim Office at this amazing moment in each pilgrim’s journey. I worked much longer hours than the suggested 5 hours a day, and the time flew by. Some foreign language knowledge is helpful, though not essential —still, minimally I’d advise learning how to say “welcome” and “congratulations” in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, and/or Korean. Enjoy this wonderful gift.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When you're ready, you can just send them an email expressing your interest: https://acogidacristianaenloscaminosdesantiago.org/contacto/
You can apply for volunteering at the here above mentioned website but you only can do that in january of the new year so the management cluster all requests at once and make their planning for all year round. When you get an invitation, they ask you to send your CV
( not your education- and work cv but about your camino experiences and motivations .)
interesting for the Pilgrims office is to know if you speak any languages others than your native language. You will experience once there that not every pilgrim is speaking English.
I loved to do this voluntary job there Unfortunately I was unable to go this year due to a knee operation but like to go again in 2024

Last edited:
Thanks,all
I’m serving as a volunteer now - tomorrow starts week 2.
Staying in San Lazaro. Bus a few times,walking to and from more often. I’m working with other, experienced, volunteers. They generously show me the ropes.
The French railway system cancelled my train reservations at the last minute (rail strike) so I had to DRIVE the 2200 km here from my home. Well worth it.
It’s nice to have a job in which EVERYONE is soooo happy to see you!
Good advice about learning a few words in another language.

Thanks,all
I’m serving as a volunteer now - tomorrow starts week 2.
Staying in San Lazaro. Bus a few times,walking to and from more often. I’m working with other, experienced, volunteers. They generously show me the ropes.
The French railway system cancelled my train reservations at the last minute (rail strike) so I had to DRIVE the 2200 km here from my home. Well worth it.
It’s nice to have a job in which EVERYONE is soooo happy to see you!
Good advice about learning a few words in another language.
So very excited for you. I'm hoping to volunteer here in the near future. Will you please tell me where I can find San Lazaro website on Google? When I search the name it comes up in Sarria. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I leave for my two-week volunteering stint in early September. (I'm going to squeeze in about eight days of the Portuguese before I start at the PO on Sept. 26.) I understand more Spanish than I speak and am cramming with a Pimsleur course to improve my fluency. So I'm figuring I won't be working the front desk, but will be doing other things. But just in case, does anyone have a cheat sheet of Spanish phrases that are specific to working with pilgrims to get their Compostelas? I've gone through the process myself twice, but I honestly don't remember what the volunteer asked me.

I leave for my two-week volunteering stint in early September. (I'm going to squeeze in about eight days of the Portuguese before I start at the PO on Sept. 26.) I understand more Spanish than I speak and am cramming with a Pimsleur course to improve my fluency. So I'm figuring I won't be working the front desk, but will be doing other things. But just in case, does anyone have a cheat sheet of Spanish phrases that are specific to working with pilgrims to get their Compostelas? I've gone through the process myself twice, but I honestly don't remember what the volunteer asked me.
Hello. I just did my stint as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office until the last week of June 2023. It was an amazing experience to return the favor to wonderful fellow pilgrims. The most amazing experience and most touching moments are witnessing young and very old, big and tough, as well as small and weak-looking men and women cry, realizing that a long and tough walk made their dream come true.

By default, you will be working behind the counter to process "credencials" then issue compostelas to those who qualify, and distance certificates, if so desired. Not to worry you will be working side-by-side with experts. One of them is Luis. We call him the "magician" for he seems to know and have remedies to difficult questions and difficult situations, i.e. pilgrims starting their Caminos from Germany, Netherlands, etc. places not normally listed in the Pilgrim' Office database, or those that walked certain stages then skipped (taxi/bus) others. Hence, if you get into one of those situations, just call for him. (Please tell him Jo Ramos says hi! and hello!)

As far as phrases are concerned:

Spanish - Buenos dias (Good morning/Good day); Gracias (Thank you); Felicidades (Congratulations);
Compostela es libre or gratis (Compostela is free); Quiere certificado de distancia? (Do you like distance certificate para 3 euros?) (Cost 3 Euros) Paga ayee (You pay there [pointing at the register/cashier]). It is also there where they can buy the compostela protective tube (tubo)

Portuguese - Bom dia (good morning/good day); Obrigado (Thank you); Parabens (Congratulations)

Italian - Boungiorno (Good day); Gracie (Thank you); Congratulazioni (Congratulations),

French - Bonjour (Good morning); Bonjournee (Good afternnon); Merci (Thank you); Felicitations (Congratulations)

Korean - Anyeong (Hello/Good day); Kamsamnida (Thank you)

Japanese - Ohayo (good morning); Domo Arigato (Thank you);

German - Guten Morgen (Good morning/day), Danke (Thank you)

You really do not have to worry about language in the Pilgrims' Office. Most if not all speak or understand English. Pilgrims included. In rare cases, there's going to be one volunteer who could speak other languages. Again, if you think you are in a difficult case, get L:uis to help you. He is da man! Also, download Google Translate. It save headaches many times.

In verifying credencials, if they start from Sarria, ensure there are at least two stamps/sellos for each day of walking until they reach Santiago. It is required that every pilgrim walk the last 100 kms.

Do me a favor please, message me (personal email address and phone number removed by moderator. Please use private conversation to get in touch with other members); where you and other volunteers are housed. Just before I left in late June, they moved volunteers to the Hospederia San Martin Pinario, the old monastery right next door to the cathedral. Apparently, Albergue San Lazaro that originally housed the volunteers was trashed and became unsanitary thus unlivable. Thanks.

Set aside your worries. You will do wonderful as a volunteer. Enjoy the experience. And Santiago de Compostela. Without the hard and long walks.

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello. I just did my stint as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office until the last week of June 2023. It was an amazing experience to return the favor to wonderful fellow pilgrims. The most amazing experience and most touching moments are witnessing young and very old, big and tough, as well as small and weak-looking men and women cry, realizing that a long and tough walk made their dream come true.

By default, you will be working behind the counter to process "credencials" then issue compostelas to those who qualify, and distance certificates, if so desired. Not to worry you will be working side-by-side with experts. One of them is Luis. We call him the "magician" for he seems to know and have remedies to difficult questions and difficult situations, i.e. pilgrims starting their Caminos from Germany, Netherlands, etc. places not normally listed in the Pilgrim' Office database, or those that walked certain stages then skipped (taxi/bus) others. Hence, if you get into one of those situations, just call for him. (Please tell him Jo Ramos says hi! and hello!)

As far as phrases are concerned:

Spanish - Buenos dias (Good morning/Good day); Gracias (Thank you); Felicidades (Congratulations);
Compostela es libre or gratis (Compostela is free); Quiere certificado de distancia? (Do you like distance certificate para 3 euros? (Cost 3 Euros) Paga ayee (You pay over there [pointing at the register/cashier]. It is also there where they can buy the compostela protective tube (tubo)

Portuguese - Bom dia (good morning/good day); Obrigado (Thank you); Parabens (Congratulations)

Italian - Boungiorno (Good day); Gracie (Thank you); Congratulazioni (Congratulations),

French - Bonjour (Good morning); Bonjournee (Good afternnon); Merci (Thank you); Felicitations (Congratulations)

Korean - Anyeong (Hello/Good day); Kamsamnida (Thank you)

Japanese - Ohayo (good morning); Domo Arigato (Thank you);

German - Guten Morgen (Good morning/day), Danke (Thank you)

You really do not have to worry about language in the Pilgrims' Office. Most if not all speak or understand English. Pilgrims included. In rare cases, there's going to be one volunteer who could speak other languages. Again, if you think you are in a difficult case, get L:uis to help you. He is da man! Also, download Google Translate. It save headaches many times.

In verifying credencials, if they start from Sarria, ensure there are at least two stamps/sellos for each day of walking until they reach Santiago. It is required that every pilgrim walk the last 100 kms.

Do me a favor please, message me where you and other volunteers are housed. Just before I left in late June, they moved volunteers to the Hospederia San Martin Pinario, the old monastery right next door to the cathedral. Apparently, Albergue San Lazaro that originally housed the volunteers was trashed and became unsanitary thus unlivable. Thanks.

Set aside your worries. You will do wonderful as a volunteer. Enjoy the experience. And Santiago de Compostela. Without the hard and long walks.

Buen Camino!
You're response is SO incredibly helpful and reassuring. Thank you for providing so much useful information--it's a true blessing. You're a camino angel!

I only have the information about staying in San Lazaro from Montse's email, so I guess I won't know anything about housing until I hear from her in September. I'll update you when I find out more. And I'll definitely ask for Luis's help in difficult cases.

Thank you again!

By default, you will be working behind the counter to process "credencials" then issue compostelas to those who qualify, and distance certificates, if so desired.
Thank you for this description of your recent experience as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Did you issue any Welcome Certificates / Certificado de Bienvenida? Did you receive any instructions about awarding this certificate?

This question has been popped up in recent threads and people have been wondering whether this certificate has been abolished or suspended.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jenny - JennyH94 - is there volunteering right now - you could pm her for up to date info?
Well I guess I could. Or I could wait until @joramos sees my post. Or maybe @JennyH94 sees this thread. Or I wait until @Kasee volunteers in September. There is no urgency. But we now have a name: Luis! Maybe some volunteer who is uncertain themselves will ask Luis for a more authoritative answer, in the absence of any relevant information on the website of the Oficina del Peregrino.

:cool:

Kasee
You're response is SO incredibly helpful and reassuring. Thank you for providing so much useful information--it's a true blessing. You're a camino angel!

I only have the information about staying in San Lazaro from Montse's email, so I guess I won't know anything about housing until I hear from her in September. I'll update you when I find out more. And I'll definitely ask for Luis's help in difficult cases.

Thank you again!
I was a first time volunteer this past June and had a great time (see my posting above, #1 & 11)

About a dozen of us were in San Lazaro and it was very fine. They recently renovated the kitchen area and it was efficient and spacious. The bathrooms were good, enough for all to shower whenever. The washing machine in the MEN’S bathroom functioned better than the one in the women’s - you could get a load of laundry done quickly and it spun drier than the women’s. Of course, use the clotheslines after.

The regular staff in the volunteer office have seen it all. Who knew there were special “certificates” for pets and for children who had not yet been baptized! Not me. They may seem gruff and abrupt, but they are guardians of the value of the Compostela.

You would not be the first, nor the last, volunteer to not speak another language fluently. Be ready to ask for lots of help in the beginning and to feel helpless and in over your head. By the end you will be a valued team member.

Most importantly, please welcome each pilgrim warmly, as if they have done the greatest achievement ever. I saw a pilgrim leave in tears because she was treated in a polite and business-like manner for an event that may have been the most life changing in her life.

I clearly remember serving one young man who had the most amazing smile, absolutely glowing, because he had just finished his first Camino, the 100 km from Sarria. This was just after I had helped an older woman who had finished her FIFTH thousand km Camino and didn’t even need the distance, just the Compostela, thank you.

She was happy yet casual having done (another) 1000 km, he was on cloud nine having done a hundred. Both deserve - and had earned - the greatest welcoming celebration possible.

Have a wonderful time and thank you for volunteering.

I would send a PM to t2andreo
Yes, seasoned Pilgrim office volunteer @t2andreo will definitely have good advice to share. He may have additional information to add to the experiences shared on this thread.
Thank you to all who give of their time volunteering, whether in the Pilgrim office, as a hospitalera, or on ditch pig crews.🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kasee

I was a first time volunteer this past June and had a great time (see my posting above, #1 & 11)

About a dozen of us were in San Lazaro and it was very fine. They recently renovated the kitchen area and it was efficient and spacious. The bathrooms were good, enough for all to shower whenever. The washing machine in the MEN’S bathroom functioned better than the one in the women’s - you could get a load of laundry done quickly and it spun drier than the women’s. Of course, use the clotheslines after.

The regular staff in the volunteer office have seen it all. Who knew there were special “certificates” for pets and for children who had not yet been baptized! Not me. They may seem gruff and abrupt, but they are guardians of the value of the Compostela.

You would not be the first, nor the last, volunteer to not speak another language fluently. Be ready to ask for lots of help in the beginning and to feel helpless and in over your head. By the end you will be a valued team member.

Most importantly, please welcome each pilgrim warmly, as if they have done the greatest achievement ever. I saw a pilgrim leave in tears because she was treated in a polite and business-like manner for an event that may have been the most life changing in her life.

I clearly remember serving one young man who had the most amazing smile, absolutely glowing, because he had just finished his first Camino, the 100 km from Sarria. This was just after I had helped an older woman who had finished her FIFTH thousand km Camino and didn’t even need the distance, just the Compostela, thank you.

She was happy yet casual having done (another) 1000 km, he was on cloud nine having done a hundred. Both deserve - and had earned - the greatest welcoming celebration possible.

Have a wonderful time and thank you for volunteering.
Hi Kathy (I’m also a Kathy with a K)

Thanks for the added info on accommodations. I wonder what happened between when you were there and now to render the place uninhabitable. It’ll be interesting to see where I end up staying in Sept/October. 🙂

I am 100% behind celebrating each and every pilgrim in their accomplishment—no matter the distance. When I received my first Compostela after the Frances, the person who helped me was clearly tired (but very professional and kind) and the whole process kinda felt a little anticlimactic. My goal (if I get to work directly with pilgrims) is to give each pilgrim the biggest smile that I can manage and be their personal cheerleader at that moment. The Camino does change lives and I want to be a tiny part of that.

Hi Kathy (I’m also a Kathy with a K)

Thanks for the added info on accommodations. I wonder what happened between when you were there and now to render the place uninhabitable. It’ll be interesting to see where I end up staying in Sept/October. 🙂

I am 100% behind celebrating each and every pilgrim in their accomplishment—no matter the distance. When I received my first Compostela after the Frances, the person who helped me was clearly tired (but very professional and kind) and the whole process kinda felt a little anticlimactic. My goal (if I get to work directly with pilgrims) is to give each pilgrim the biggest smile that I can manage and be their personal cheerleader at that moment. The Camino does change lives and I want to be a tiny part of that.
Volunteers at the time (Late June 2023) told me that they had to procure their own toiletries, health and hygiene stuff, and clean the place up. I do not know who neglected their responsibilities but I was surprised to see them in Hospederia San Martin Pinario where I was staying. I decided to stay at the old monastery and pay 26 euros per day for a private single room, which includes free breakfast (7 euros if you have to pay), and very near the Pilgrims' Office. Albergue San Lazzaro is about 40 minutes travel time.

Yes, how you receive and help fellow pilgrims when they apply for their Compostelas determine your day and overall experience at the Pilgrims Office. Retrospectively, you remember how you felt when it was you on the other side of the counter.

If you greet each and every pilgrim with a smile, validating their success after the long arduous walk, how great of a job they did, applaud them for their success, and that they are realizing a dream, the synergy between you and your fellow pilgrim is immensely heart-warming.

Buen Camino!

Hi @Kasee -

I’ve just today finished my two week volunteering role at the Pilgrim Office.

I’ll PM you at the end of the week (about to be on the move to London) with extensive information about the role and with the who’s who at the PO - the permanent staff are wonderful and there ain’t a problem that they can’t fix.

It’s a really rewarding experience.

You’ll love being at the Volunteer house at San Lázaro … it’s a lovely 45 minute walk into the Old Town and great supermarkets are nearby, including Carrefour. It’s really tranquil and you’ll be very happy there.

Cheers and best wishes from Santiago -

Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for this description of your recent experience as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

Did you issue any Welcome Certificates / Certificado de Bienvenida? Did you receive any instructions about awarding this certificate?

This question has been popped up in recent threads and people have been wondering whether this certificate has been abolished or suspended.

Thanks!
Hi @Kathar1na -

I issued three Welcome certificates in the two weeks I’ve been volunteering. It’s a blank certificate which the volunteer fills in by hand with the person’s name and the date. It’s a beautiful document. Anyone can request this certificate, which costs €3.

The children’s certificate is really sweet and this is on thick card. Again, it’s filled in by hand.

There IS a pet ‘compostela’ but it’s not issued by the Pilgrim Office. The pilgrim will need to ask at the tourist office on the other side of the courtyard for further details.

Cheers from Santiago -

Jenny

Hi @Kasee -

I’ll PM you at the end of the week (about to be on the move to London) with extensive information about the role and with the who’s who at the PO - the permanent staff are wonderful and there ain’t a problem that they can’t fix.

You’ll love being at the Volunteer house at San Lázaro … it’s a lovely 45 minute walk into the Old Town and great supermarkets are nearby, including Carrefour. It’s really tranquil and you’ll be very happy there.

Jenny
How did I miss that you were there for the past two weeks. Cheers!
We almost crossed paths again

Hi @Kasee -

Jenny
Thank, Jenny! I look forward to your message. And good luck with your move to London!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I issued three Welcome certificates in the two weeks I’ve been volunteering. It’s a blank certificate which the volunteer fills in by hand with the person’s name and the date. It’s a beautiful document. Anyone can request this certificate, which costs €3.
In the past the Welcome certificate, like the Compostela was free.

Anyone can request this certificate, which costs €3.
I had raised the question of the current status of the Welcome Certificate / Certificado de Bienvenido in the interest of general information because it has become unclear how this is handled since the introduction of the online registration system.

If someone ticks the box “Others” as a motive in the online form will that pilgrim then automatically get a Welcome Certificate? Or would they have to request it at the desk? Is there some info on display at the Office? Because there is no information at all on the registration webpage or during the online registration process.

Pilgrims scan the QR code in their credencial and are immediately taken to the online form for requesting a Compostela where they can also tick a box for the “km certificate”. That is all they are provided with in the way of information about certificates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is very interesting. It seems as though the Welcome Certificate is now being treated like the Distance Certificate (available to anyone in addition to the free Compostela for €3) rather than an alternative to the Compostela (free, instead of the Compostela, to the decidedly secular).

Just as an FYI, as alluded to above, I am here to answer any and all questions about being a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office. Since 2014, I have volunteered for, from two weeks to a month, each year, except for 2020 (COVID) and this year.

This season, my wife's very serious illness requires me to remain at home in Virginia to be her caregiver. But, I am philosophical about this minor setback. Santiago will still be there next year. Lord willing, my wife will be able to accompany me for a volunteer stint.

For now, I continue to practice my Spanish every day, for one hour or more, using Duolingo.com. I follow the coming goings and developments at the Pilgrim Office closely, and have reliable people there, that I can reach out to to obtain information I may not have.

I recommend starting a private conversation with me, here in the forum. On the other hand, if your question involved something of general interest to all other voluntarios, you should feel free to just jump in here. I ALWAYS reply.

I hope I can be of help to anyone who needs it.

Tom

This is very interesting. It seems as though the Welcome Certificate is now being treated like the Distance Certificate (available to anyone in addition to the free Compostela for €3) rather than an alternative to the Compostela (free, instead of the Compostela, to the decidedly secular).
I would not jump to such a conclusion. For many years already there has been a certificate (other than the distance certificate) that was available to anyone for a fee of €3. Here's a quote from a "Caminoways" website:

Camino Cathedral Visit Certificate​
If you are visiting Santiago Cathedral (and if you’ve walked all this way you probably are!), you can request a Cathedral Visit Certificate (Certificado de visita a la Catedral), also from the Pilgrim’s Office (from 9 am until 2 pm). Ask at the door to direct you to the Archdiocese office. You can also request it on behalf of your group and you will only need the name of the people visiting and a donation of €3.
Note: This may well be quite old information and not all of it may be current.

Same here: https://www.tee-travel.com/blog/compostela-certificados-peregrinos/ and even with photos: Compostela (free), Distancia (€3), Bienvenida (free), Visita (€3).
The question is quite simple: In 2023 and with the online registration form in place, does it matter which option you pick in the menu "Reasons for Pilgrimage"? Is it just a statistical data, like the option you pick in the menus "Nationality", "Profession", or "Age"? None of your answers to these three questions determine whether you get a Compostela or something else. Is "Reasons for Pilgrimage" any different from "Nationality", "Profession", or "Age"? Now. In 2023. Because if it isn't any different then we can drop the verb "fudge" from our discussion vocabulary.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would not jump to such a conclusion. For many years already there has been a certificate (other than the distance certificate) that was available to anyone for a fee of €3. Here's a quote from a "Caminoways" website:

If you are visiting Santiago Cathedral (and if you’ve walked all this way you probably are!), you can request a Cathedral Visit Certificate (Certificado de visita a la Catedral), also from the Pilgrim’s Office (from 9 am until 2 pm). Ask at the door to direct you to the Archdiocese office. You can also request it on behalf of your group and you will only need the name of the people visiting and a donation of €3.

Same here: https://www.tee-travel.com/blog/compostela-certificados-peregrinos/ and even with photos: Compostela (free), Distancia (€3), Bienvenida (free), Visita (€3).
The question is quite simple: In 2023 and with the online registration form in place, does it matter which option you pick in the menu "Reasons for Pilgrimage"? Is it just a statistical data, like the option you pick in the menus "Nationality", "Profession", or "Age"? None of your answers to these three questions determine whether you get a Compostela or something else. Is "Reasons for Pilgrimage" any different from "Nationality", "Profession", or "Age"? Now. In 2023. Because if it isn't any different then we can drop the verb "fudge" from our discussion vocabulary.
So it sounds like there may be some confusion between the Welcome Certificate and the Cathedral Visit Certificate. JennyH94 called it a Welcome Certificate but it sounds as if she was describing a Cathedral Visit Certificate.

Volunteers at the time (Late June 2023) told me that they had to procure their own toiletries, health and hygiene stuff, and clean the place up. I do not know who neglected their responsibilities but I was surprised to see them in Hospederia San Martin Pinario where I was staying. I decided to stay at the old monastery and pay 26 euros per day for a private single room, which includes free breakfast (7 euros if you have to pay), and very near the Pilgrims' Office. Albergue San Lazzaro is about 40 minutes travel time.

Yes, how you receive and help fellow pilgrims when they apply for their Compostelas determine your day and overall experience at the Pilgrims Office. Retrospectively, you remember how you felt when it was you on the other side of the counter.

If you greet each and every pilgrim with a smile, validating their success after the long arduous walk, how great of a job they did, applaud them for their success, and that they are realizing a dream, the synergy between you and your fellow pilgrim is immensely heart-warming.

Buen Camino!
Logistics in San Lazaro -

I supplied my own soap, shampoo, other normal toiletries. There was laundry soap and hand soap. I was given sheets for the bed, a blanket (so it turns out I didn't need my sleeping bag), and clean towels. We each had our own single room with a place to store clothes, a chair, lamp, shelves. Nothing fancy but clean, adequate, free and private.

We were, of course, expected to clean up after ourselves when showering, cooking, washing clothes, etc. Ahh, just like those good ol' days of college.

Rumor had it that there was a housekeeper who came in on turn-over days. He/she prepared the rooms for new arriving volunteers.

We began a system of recycling in the kitchen. The volunteers are responsible for taking the recycling out to the recycling bin at the corner when the bag got full (easy to do on your way to the bus or to walk). Also for buying bags.

There were a few volunteers who were offered the opportunity to stay in the the monastery in the city. I welcomed the 45 minute walk to and from San L. Since I bought my own food at the Carrefour near San Lazaro, I could eat and drink whatever and whenever I wanted, affordably. Sitting around the table in the kitchen at San L, talking with old, then new, volunteers, drinking coffee in the morning, wine at night, until midnight, sharing food, was one of the highlights of almost every day for me.

I was there the first 2 weeks of June 2023

Clarifying edit - if you didn't want to walk to and from San L, you were also provided with a bus pass.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone have a photo of the Cathedral visit certificate?
I never knew there was one offered for €3, and in addition I have also done the Cathedral Rooftop tour twice.

So it sounds like there may be some confusion between the Welcome Certificate and the Cathedral Visit Certificate. JennyH94 called it a Welcome Certificate but it sounds as if she was describing a Cathedral Visit Certificate.
Hi David -

The permanent staff at the Pilgrim Office call it the Welcome Certificate … sadly I can’t pass on any further details as I only issued a few of them over the time I volunteered.

Best wishes from Santiago -

Jenny

Hi @Kathar1na - As @Kathy F. can confirm, the only information the issuers of the compostelas and distance certificates see on the screens in front of them is -
First name; surname; boxes which have been pre-ticked for a compostela and a distance certificate (if wanted); the Camino the pilgrim walked; start point and distance. The online registration does include the reason walked as you’ve mentioned, age of the pilgrim, nationality, etc.

It’s a very efficient process but basic - and unless the volunteer engages with the pilgrim the whole process can be really quick - less than a minute. All of the volunteers and permanent staff I worked with did engage with the pilgrim - eg admiring the often massive collection of sellos - and the receiving of the credentiales and the issuing of the documents became a very special experience for all concerned.

Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @Kathar1na - As @Kathy F. can confirm, the only information the issuers of the compostelas and distance certificates see on the screens in front of them is -
First name; surname; boxes which have been pre-ticked for a compostela and a distance certificate (if wanted); the Camino the pilgrim walked; start point and distance. The online registration does include the reason walked as you’ve mentioned, age of the pilgrim, nationality, etc.

It’s a very efficient process but basic - and unless the volunteer engages with the pilgrim the whole process can be really quick - less than a minute. All of the volunteers and permanent staff I worked with did engage with the pilgrim - eg admiring the often massive collection of sellos - and the receiving of the credentiales and the issuing of the documents became a very special experience for all concerned.

Jenny
I also always double-checked that the information on my screen was correct. Often, pilgrims misunderstood the questions they were responding to when they registered on-line or they changed their mind about which certificate they wanted. I even had a name misspelled once or twice.

I also always double-checked that the information on my screen was correct. Often, pilgrims misunderstood the questions they were responding to when they registered on-line or they changed their mind about which certificate they wanted. I even had a name misspelled once or twice.
I had the same experience too Kathy - eg occasionally pilgrims registered their place of residence as their starting point.

I had the same experience too Kathy - eg occasionally pilgrims registered their place of residence as their starting point.
But there are those who actually do start their Camino from their front door. We’ve walked with many Europeans who walked to Santiago from Austria and the Netherlands (two examples of many). I guess that’s when it’s important to ask a few questions to separate the mistakes from the good information. 🙂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But there are those who actually do start their Camino from their front door. We’ve walked with many Europeans who walked to Santiago from Austria and the Netherlands (two examples of many). I guess that’s when it’s important to ask a few questions to separate the mistakes from the good information. 🙂
So true, Kasee - some pilgrims do … eg back in 2019 my family and I walked on and off with a French couple and their beautiful donkey Zebulon. They all started out from their farm in central France. We first encountered them just before Leon. After Santiago they were walking back home to the farm. What a wonderful journey for them all. Here’s Zebulon -

BD2091EC-43E2-40F8-A827-5EA5ECA026E8.jpeg

Cheers from Madrid -
Jenny

So true, Kasee - some pilgrims do … eg back in 2019 my family and I walked on and off with a French couple and their beautiful donkey Zebulon. They all started out from their farm in central France. We first encountered them just before Leon. After Santiago they were walking back home to the farm. What a wonderful journey for them all. Here’s Zebulon -

View attachment 153849

Cheers from Madrid -
Jenny
Last Fall, we walked with an older French gentleman and his donkey, Merci! He had walked all the way from Avignon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would be interested to know how to volunteer on the Camino Portugese, either coastal or central.

. When you get an invitation, they ask you to send your CV
( not your education- and work cv but about your camino experiences and motivations .)
I think this is misleading advice for folks wishing to volunteer. Where did you get this idea?

The CV request is specific for the volunteer's work-life experience. Like any job interview, they want to know about your education and work experience, to see if it will be useful in staffing the center.
What you did on your Camino is not likely of primary importance since walking one is not even a requirement. My recommendation is to emphasize your administrative skills.

When you get an invitation, they ask you to send your CV

I think this is misleading advice for folks wishing to volunteer. Where did you get this idea?

The CV request is specific for the volunteer's work-life experience. Like any job interview, they want to know about your education and work experience, to see if it will be useful in staffing the center.
What you did on your Camino is not likely of primary importance since walking one is not even a requirement. My recommendation is to emphasize your administrative skills.

It's not misleading at all🙄..
The PO are primarily concerned about how well you can relate to pilgrims, and about your attitude and your ability to communicate, to be kind, helpful and understanding. Being one yourself is a good place to start.

Your education and what you did or do in the outside world, is about as relevant as it is when you're walking your camino.. It's about giving back.

Last edited:
It's not misleading at all🙄..
The PO are primarily concerned about how well you can relate to pilgrims, and about your attitude and your ability to communicate, to be kind, helpful and understanding. Being one yourself is a good place to start.

Your education and what you did or do in the outside world, is about as relevant as it is when you're walking your camino.. It's about giving back.

The actual request from the office states: "If it is the first time you apply to volunteer, you must also send a brief resume of your work life along with a photograph to the email info@acologíacristiana.

Advising applicants to ignore the specific request for a resume of their "work life" and to instead provide "what I did on my Camino" is, IMO, bad advice.

The PO are primarily concerned about how well you can relate to pilgrims, and about your attitude and your ability to communicate, to be kind, helpful and understanding.
Can we PLEASE not have an argument about how to present yourself in your application to work in the Pilgrim Office! Fill out the form, answer the questions, and present your best self. Clearly some people will bring great people skills, others will have Camino knowledge, and others will bring administrative experience. A few might have all of these attributes. One thing they most certainly are NOT looking for is someone to argue with other pilgrims and staff about who is needed most.

Whether you agree or not, the PO does ask for your CV. What you include in it is up to you.
The actual request from the office states: "If it is the first time you apply to volunteer, you must also send a brief resume of your work life along with a photograph to the email info@acologíacristiana.

Advising applicants to ignore the specific request for a resume of their "work life" and to instead provide "what I did on my Camino" is, IMO, bad advice.
As someone who has volunteered at the PO, I think that BOTH work experience and Camino experience are important. After all, it is a pilgrim OFFICE and procedures, professionalism, and team work are important. We had volunteers from various career paths, and they all had pilgrim hearts and professional demeanors.

I don't think he was doing that in fairness. The application form does ask about about pilgrim/volunteering experience too.

Anyway, all is good.. enjoy your stint in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.