• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago presents for little granddaughters

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
Here’s an unusual question. What do I bring as gifts to my four young granddaughters when I return? They range in age from 2-8 years old. T-shirts will be outgrown in a matter of months, little trinkets (most likely made in China) will be forgotten soon enough. I’m thinking a Spanish doll or some sort of keepsake jewelry, but I’m at a loss. We can’t bring home anything big and bulky, either.

We reach Santiago at the end of the week and then go on to the coast. So I have time to find shops and explore different ideas. Anyone else ever wonder what to bring home for their tiny princesses?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe the Santiago cake crosses? You can buy at the hardware store. They come in large and small size in one package and you could bake Santiago Cake together when you get home and use them. It would be a reminder of your time in Spain and something for them to remember in baking together? Santiago cake is yummy and easy to make. Uses almond flour and not regular flour.

Maybe the Santiago cake crosses? You can buy at the hardware store. They come in large and small size in one package and you could bake Santiago Cake together when you get home and use them. It would be a reminder of your time in Spain and something for them to remember in baking together? Santiago cake is yummy and easy to make. Uses almond flour and not regular flour.
We do love baking. That’s a good idea. 💕

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @Kasee : the cathedral shop has a small range for children. If not mistaken : puzzles and books.

A fun store, more than one in Santiago is Nikis.

And Chafaris, toy store, has lots of choices.

I would skip the tourist traps and go shopping in the boutiques for children. Spain has wonderful clothes for children. Go for the stuff that you cannot get at home.

Are your granddaughters sisters? If they are, a quality garment can have a long life as a hand-me-down.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the Cathedral gift shop, I found a detailed colouring poster of a map of Spain, showing some landmarks and highlights of the Camino and Spain. It is a good thing to do with them after you return, and while you are colouring, you can talk about your experience.

The poster was folded in a package about 10 inches square, and easy to carry.

In the Cathedral gift shop, I found a detailed colouring poster of a map of Spain, showing some landmarks and highlights of the Camino and Spain. It is a good thing to do with them after you return, and while you are colouring, you can talk about your experience.

The poster was folded in a package about 10 inches square, and easy to carry.

Like this one?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's another bookstore on Rua do Vilar called Librería San Pablo. They have some fun kids' Camino books there. https://www.paxinasgalegas.es/san-pablo-30038em.html

And I know some kids who have enjoyed being handed postcards written directly to them, with relatives letting them know they were thinking about them during their travels. There are lots of nice Santiago postcards in town; I'm partial to the ones made by Ediciones A.M.

Scroll down on this page for a sampling: https://www.edicionesam.com/postales-turísticas-de-españa/postales-de-galícia/postales-de-santiago/

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There's another bookstore on Rua do Vilar called Librería San Pablo. They have some fun kids' Camino books there. https://www.paxinasgalegas.es/san-pablo-30038em.html

And I know some kids who have enjoyed being handed postcards written directly to them, with relatives letting them know they were thinking about them during their travels. There are lots of nice Santiago postcards in town; I'm partial to the ones made by Ediciones A.M.

Scroll down on this page for a sampling: https://www.edicionesam.com/postales-turísticas-de-españa/postales-de-galícia/postales-de-santiago/

Buen Camino!
We always mail postcards to our grandkids although it can get pricey in Spain to mail them home. They do love them so much and love to get an old school piece of mail.

Details of some products at Chafaris.

Thank you! I’ll check it out. Great options.

We always mail postcards to our grandkids although it can get pricey in Spain to mail them home. They do love them so much and love to get an old school piece of mail.
Thank you! We are almost at the end of our trip, but that’s a great idea for next time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Buen Camino!
Thank you!

I think you are from the US? If so, is Paw Patrol still a popular thing with the younger kids? Years ago I found Paw Pilgrim t-shirts and my great nephew was pretty ecstatic about it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here’s an unusual question. What do I bring as gifts to my four young granddaughters when I return? They range in age from 2-8 years old. T-shirts will be outgrown in a matter of months, little trinkets (most likely made in China) will be forgotten soon enough. I’m thinking a Spanish doll or some sort of keepsake jewelry, but I’m at a loss. We can’t bring home anything big and bulky, either.

We reach Santiago at the end of the week and then go on to the coast. So I have time to find shops and explore different ideas. Anyone else ever wonder what to bring home for their tiny princesses?
I bought a foldable board game called Juego de la Oca from a shop across from the Pilgrim’s Office. Also available at The Last Stamp. Great little game based on the Camino and played like Snakes and Ladders.Comes in a 6”x6” (approx.) flat package. Playing pieces and dice included. Other side of the game is a Parcheesi board.

For the little ones I bought a beautiful story book of ‘The Way of St James’ from the Cathedral shop in Santiago. It was a lovely story, starting with packing their rucksack and then the walk to Santiago. Our Grandsons, aged 1 and 3 love it!!
It was only €5 and so light and easy to carry in my luggage.

Attachments

• D5DE163F-26FA-4372-8030-0EA2685B53F2.jpeg
    D5DE163F-26FA-4372-8030-0EA2685B53F2.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 16
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One of my most precious souvenirs from the Camino, WHICH WAS GIFTED TO ME BY ANOTHER PILGRIM, was a small pair of pierced earrings in the shape of shells.

Your granddaughters may not have pierced ears - I didn't get mine done until I was in my 40's, LOL!!

For the little ones I bought a beautiful story book of ‘The Way of St James’ from the Cathedral shop in Santiago. It was a lovely story, starting with packing their rucksack and then the walk to Santiago. Our Grandsons, aged 1 and 3 love it!!
It was only €5 and so light and easy to carry in my luggage.
So cool! I’ll check it out for sure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of my most precious souvenirs from the Camino, WHICH WAS GIFTED TO ME BY ANOTHER PILGRIM, was a small pair of pierced earrings in the shape of shells.

Your granddaughters may not have pierced ears - I didn't get mine done until I was in my 40's, LOL!!
No pierced ears yet. 🙂

Great question! For my part, I bought conchas, wrote the word "Ultreia" on them. These I gave to each (grand)child togather with a personal letter about what I hope for him or her.
I look forward to the many crestive replies you'll get!

I believe some stores in Santiago sell peregrina dolls similar to the one depicted in the mural as you enter Sarria.

Good luck.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20161011_141440448.jpg
    IMG_20161011_141440448.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great question! For my part, I bought conchas, wrote the word "Ultreia" on them. These I gave to each (grand)child togather with a personal letter about what I hope for him or her.
I look forward to the many crestive replies you'll get!
Your response brought tears to my eyes. Lovely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I have 3 granddaughters similar ages and ended up with a handmade necklace for the older girls and for the youngest her favorite character finally found a peppa pig camino t-shirt we liked. I don't spend alot on them because I know whatever I buy is enjoyed for a minimal of time and they move on. My hope is to take them with me eventually so they may experience the Camino.

My granddaughters are just a bit older, and I brought them silver necklaces with a silver scallop shell. They love them and they feel so special wearing them! Their parents ensure they are treated with care. As they grow older, just the chain has to be replaced. Several jewelry shops have colorful enameled ones too.

And remember a most precious gift ... a gift of your time. I recommend sitting with them and telling them some of your adventures, showing them pictures, and let them ask their own questions. Unforgettable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We do love baking. That’s a good idea. 💕
I recommend the downstairs, kitchen tools area of the Ferreteria Horreo on Plaza Galicia. It is opposite the park area in the center.

Typically, there is a blister pack or 2 or 3 three varied sizes of the Cruz de Santiago in varied sizes. They are inox (Stainless steel and dishwasher proof). These packages hang on a peg on the wall or a pillar.

My mom hangs one in the window as a wind chime when not using it / them to bake for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I saw this lovely game of the goose in a little shop there in May. I was a business that arranged walks etc. I’m
Sure someone on the forum will know it’s name.

Attachments

• DD3DDEFD-1CAE-450D-9AFE-9210ECDD85AC.jpeg
    DD3DDEFD-1CAE-450D-9AFE-9210ECDD85AC.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8
Sorry, sorry everyone is totally mistaken. I am a dinosaur and we dinosaurs know the ONLY acceptable presents from Spain are either a sombrero or a small straw donkey. This was actually the law in the 70s and I think you will find it still is.

Sorry, sorry everyone is totally mistaken. I am a dinosaur and we dinosaurs know the ONLY acceptable presents from Spain are either a sombrero or a small straw donkey. This was actually the law in the 70s and I think you will find it still is.
I think that you mean Mexico! 😉

Mine were confiscated by TSA when trying to re-enter the US with them (I did not have checked luggage). You can find them on Amazon for cheaper than what I bought them for in Santiago (here: https://tinyurl.com/27jp46nw). I got my nieces little shell bracelets, which they love. Each cost 8 euros. I picked the color, and a woman in a shop made them for me in minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_9813.jpg
    IMG_9813.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 5
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/tourists-spanish-city-face-backlash-2952834?ito=copy-link_share_article-top the last few seasons I've been walking the VdlP and if this report is only half true...
Hello, I walked the Camino Frances in September/October 2023 and have an opportunity (i.e. time) to do another one this May/June - although I only have ~4 weeks available. I'm thinking Norte...
Hi everyone, Pilgrim House Welcome Center opened on March 4 for the 2024 season. As always, the team would love to meet you (or see you again!) after your Camino. The Camino can be an emotional...
Hi, I am planning to finish my Camino July 20, but I was wondering if it is worth it to instead try to finish to see the holy day on July 25. Is it going to be super crowded on the 25th? I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back