A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Live - Camino Francés Santiago Sorting

Camino(s) past & future
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
IMG_3081.JPG

I am sitting on the bed in my tiny hotel room in Santiago. All of my worldly possessions are organized in two piles in front of me.
I'm trying to decide what to keep with me for the remaining 3 weeks of my trip and what to send home.

My mind says to constrain it down to what will fit in the smaller, college pack and travel light.

My heart says that I've become attached to my hiking pack which has worked so well for me for 5 weeks straight. By separating from my hiking pack, I feel like I'm formally leaving my Camino.
I'm also forcing myself into planning the next stages of my trip, a task I've been procrastinating on for several weeks.

This is not a request for advice, just a public venting of my somewhat emotional dilemma.

I need to decide and move on.

B.C.
- jgp

Advertisment

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Congrats on making it to Santiago, Jason!

I can understand your emotional dilemma. Did you decide on anything yet? In these kinds of cases (when I feel emotional about something), the question, "What would be the wise thing to do?" helps me gain some clarity. Not sure if that would help you in this case but I'm throwing it out there in case it's helpful :).

Take care!
Faith

Camino(s) past & future
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
Thanks Faith,
You are right on about this.

In the end, I thought about all of the inconvenience that the emotional choice would cause over the rest of my trip and it became an easy decision.
I did a harsh sorting and fit everything I *need* into the smaller pack.

Then I earned some emotional karma by donating my now empty backpack and walking poles to the pilgrim house where I was assured they would be put to good use.

Onwards,

-jgp

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
View attachment 34374

I am sitting on the bed in my tiny hotel room in Santiago. All of my worldly possessions are organized in two piles in front of me.
I'm trying to decide what to keep with me for the remaining 3 weeks of my trip and what to send home.

My mind says to constrain it down to what will fit in the smaller, college pack and travel light.

My heart says that I've become attached to my hiking pack which has worked so well for me for 5 weeks straight. By separating from my hiking pack, I feel like I'm formally leaving my Camino.
I'm also forcing myself into planning the next stages of my trip, a task I've been procrastinating on for several weeks.

This is not a request for advice, just a public venting of my somewhat emotional dilemma.

I need to decide and move on.

B.C.
- jgp
I would change backpacks ONLY if the new pack were significantly lighter; like a 6 pound (2.75 kilo) pack being exchanged for a 2 or 3 pound(0.9 to 1.3 kilo) pack. One does not need to get a smaller pack JUST to have a smaller pack. You can still cut the number of items that you are carrying in your existing backpack to decrease your weight and still keep the pack. It doesn't matter if a pack is half full. Just use whatever system of straps that your pack has, and do your best to compress the new load. Or not.

Camino(s) past & future
St.Jean-Santiago (2017)
I would change backpacks ONLY if the new pack were significantly lighter;...
The new pack is lighter.
Since I will be traveling more by public transport and less on foot the convenience factor is more important than the capacity now.

Schlepping 3 cubic liters of stuff around and into constrained storage spaces is wearing on the travel soul.

-jgp

Advertisment

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Buen Camino de la Vida @jgpryde ! That Camino has just started for you, SY

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%