• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago Storm

Lindsay53

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
There was I, returned to Santiago from Fisterra this afternoon and tucked up nicely in my room at Hostal Airas Nunes, when a violent storm blew in, bringing heavy rain and hail. Just as I was congratulating myself for being warm and dry while the storm raged outside, water started pouring through the ceiling. A call to reception got a very nice lady up to my room. She took a look and said something I suspect was profanity in Spanish, and immediately arranged a room for me in another hostal nearby, walking with me through the rain to ensure I got there. While the leaky roof was annoying the swift handling of the problem was excellent. Thanks again to the receptionist whose name I did not learn but who's efficiency is first class.
Also, I told myself there were Pilgrims caught out in this so I had no reason to complain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There was I, returned to Santiago from Fisterra this afternoon and tucked up nicely in my room at Hostal Airas Nunes, when a violent storm blew in, bringing heavy rain and hail. Just as I was congratulating myself for being warm and dry while the storm raged outside, water started pouring through the ceiling. A call to reception got a very nice lady up to my room. She took a look and said something I suspect was profanity in Spanish, and immediately arranged a room for me in another hostal nearby, walking with me through the rain to ensure I got there. While the leaky roof was annoying the swift handling of the problem was excellent. Thanks again to the receptionist whose name I did not learn but who's efficiency is first class.
Also, I told myself there were Pilgrims caught out in this so I had no reason to complain.
I had checked into a room on the top floor in the San Pinario that someone else had just cancelled. Was laying there when the sky opened up. Lightning struck closer and closer, and finally hit my roof. VERY COOL!!! Left to get dinner a couple hours later and the long entrance to the main lobby was quite flooded. Staff with large commercial vacuums were sucking up the water. Worst rainstorm I have seen on 10 caminos

Very very interesting

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I got caught in the storm about 2km from Reliegos.There were hailstones coming down almost horizontally in by far the strongest wind I have ever been out in. All I could do was kneel on the floor behind a small tree to protect my head. Luckily it only lasted about 10mins but it was the longest 10mins of my life 😄. I completed the last 2km to my hostel completely soaked as though I’d walkthrough through a river up to my waist. All dried out overnight and back on the walk.

Not quite Santiago de Compostela but similar. I worked in Sydney, Australia for a while in the early 1980s and I was up on the 45th floor of an office building when a storm blew in.

It was spectacular watching the lightning from the level where it was being created and there were several strikes on the building that I was in as I looked out the window.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.