A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Santiago this morning

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: StJPP to SdC March/April 2015 peregrino.
Camino del Norte: Santander to SdC June 2015 bicigrino.
Camino Finisterre: SdC to Finisterre/Muxia/SdC March 2016 peregrino.
Camino del Norte: StJPP then Irun to Santander August 2016 bicigrino.
Via Francigena Canterbury to Rome June/July 2017 bicigrino.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) SJPDP-SDC
Camino Norte 2018
Pilgrims Office Volunteer 2018
Beautiful shot. Will be volunteering in the Oficina de Peregrinos late August. Looking forward to seeing the cathedral without scaffolding to the plaza!! thanks for everything you do, Ivar.
Agreed!!! This is a beautiful picture and it says so many things as you look at everything in the picture.

Also Joseph, Patty and I will be taking over for you in the Pilgrims Office on 10 Sept. See you then!!

Camino(s) past & future
Commence the Way of St James from SJPdP on 19 March (2018)
Ivar, such a beautiful picture. I completed my Camino from SJPdP on 21 April 2018 when the left tower of the Camino was covered in scaffold. Lovely to see the scaffolding has gone.

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Also, the Portico de la Gloria is once again open, after a 10-year renovation. The queue, and entry is separate from entry to the Cathedral. The queue is on the west side, main entry to the Cathedral.

Presently, the lines are running 2 hours or so. They permit a tranche if 25 persons in for 15 minutes. The site is open from 08:00 to 22:00, 7 days a week.

The entry to get into the Cathedral proper remains through the south transept, up the stairs at Plaza Praterias. The exit continues via the north transept.

National Geographic recently ran an article featuring restoration of the historically important Portico de la Gloria. IMHO, these are the best high-resolution color photos of the architectural and sculptural details that you will find anywhere.

Here is a link to the Spanish edition...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com....ico-gloria-catedral-santiago-compostela_12933

I am here, working at the Pilgrim Office since 8 July. My last day is 11 August. As always, it is challenging, exhausting, and exhilarating, all at the same time.

Hope this works...and helps.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) SJPDP-SDC
Camino Norte 2018
Pilgrims Office Volunteer 2018
Also, the Portico de la Gloria is once again open, after a 10-year renovation. The queue, and entry is separate from entry to the Cathedral. The queue is on the west side, main entry to the Cathedral.

Presently, the lines are running 2 hours or so. They permit a tranche if 25 persons in for 15 minutes. The site is open from 08:00 to 22:00, 7 days a week.

The entry to get into the Cathedral proper remains through the south transept, up the stairs at Plaza Praterias. The exit continues via the north transept.

National Geographic recently ran an article featuring restoration of the historically important Portico de la Gloria. IMHO, these are the best high-resolution color photos of the architectural and sculptural details that you will find anywhere.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com....ico-gloria-catedral-santiago-compostela_12933

I am here, working at the Pilgrim Office since 8 July. My last day is 11 August. As always, it is challenging, exhausting, and exhilarating, all at the same time.

Thank you T2andreo. Very informative and appreciated....Ed

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@t2andreo , Thank you for that link. Great work has been done, and it's yet another reason for a new Camino and a couple of days in SdC in Sept./Oct. (whenever I arrive) :)
You are doing great work. CU.

Last edited:

leichecerca

Can’t stay away
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Finisterre: May 2018
Camino Frances: April-May 2018
Camino Frances: April-May 2017
Oh, great. Is it a new experience for you guys? For me, it is.
@josephmcclain — I volunteered at the Oficina del Peregrino for two weeks this past May. A fantastic experience! Such a tremendous honor to be the agent of welcome at this very symbolic moment in a pilgrim’s journey. I can’t wait to volunteer again one day. Enjoy!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
Agreed!!! This is a beautiful picture and it says so many things as you look at everything in the picture.

Also Joseph, Patty and I will be taking over for you in the Pilgrims Office on 10 Sept. See you then!!
Make sure you leave the place clean and tidy for me on the 24th then! ;) So looking forward to helping out.

OMG, those pictures are absolutely amazing. You should post them on another thread, t2. I can’t imagine how anyone can look at those pictures and not be filled with awe, thinking, as I always do when I see these things, that there is absolutely nothing I will ever do in my life that will be admired and loved by people more than a thousand years from now.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)

Thanks for the link. It is excellent.

Thanks for the link, excellent. You finish tomorrow: a special service, and clearly one that you love to give. Thanks for all your helpful contributions in the forum.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%