• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Santiago to Barcelona

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to go in April (2014)
Now that I have made up my mind about the length of time I shall crawl along the Camino, here is another query. How do I get to Barclona from Santiago? thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I flew from Santiago to Barcelona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now that I have made up my mind about the length of time I shall crawl along the Camino, here is another query. How do I get to Barclona from Santiago? thanks
If you have the time, go by train. There is a daily train at 08:42 and arriving at 21:20 with transfer in madrid. Cheapest ticket is €48.15. There is senior citizen discount if you possessed a gold card.

You can also take an alsa bus. There are several busses a day from santiago. Duration is over 16 hours and cost more than the train.

Of course as suggested previously, you can also fly vueling. However it is quite expensive.

Good luck and buen camino. God bless.

I took a recliner seat on the overnight train. If there is a next time I'll take a sleeper. The plane looks a good option too, especially if you are stretched for time.

Admittedly it was 3 years ago, but I flew Vueling from Santiago to Barcelona. The fare was the same as the bus and about 14 hrs quicker. The bus trip also involved an overnight trip - yuk. The train was the most expensive. But prices change so I suggest you check online when in Santiago and you know the exact day you wish to go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The cheapest Vueling ticket to BCN in September is 60€ (on 26th). Compare that with the cheapest train ticket for 48€ with transfer in Madrid and more than 12 hours journey... I wouldn't think for a second which option to chose.

Ultreia!

I wanted to take the train to Barcelona when I left Santiago on 27 December, but they were all fully booked for the whole of that week, so I had to take the Vueling flight, unfortunately.

I think a train would be so much nicer a way of "decompressing" after the Camino, rather than the slightly cattle-truck-like conditions on a packed Vueling flight. And the direct train from Ourense-Barca (8.42 SdC-Ourense, then 9.25am direct to Barca via Ponferrada, Leon, Zaragossa etc, arriving 21.20) goes more or less along the Francés all the way to Pamplona, so if that's the camino you walked, you'll be able to see familiar towns and landscapes flashing past.

Another advantage is that the security people at Barca airport (if you're flying on from there) don't mind you carrying walking sticks as hand luggage.

Back