• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Cork via Stansted - have I made a mistake?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hi all,

I’ll be heading out to the Camino for a couple of weeks in the early summer and on the way home have booked a connecting flight from Stansted. Basically, I’ll be flying from Santiago to Stansted and on from there to my home in Cork, Ireland. Now that I’ve booked the flights, I’m wondering if I have made an error in terms of whether or not I’m likely to have enough time to make my Cork flight once I reach Stansted.

My schedule looks like this:

Santiago to Stansted, arriving at 2.05pm
Stansted to Cork, departing at 4.50pm

I did the same route home after the Camino in 2018 and ended up with a lot of time to kill once I got to Stansted, but on that occasion the scheduled gap between arrival and departure was almost five hours, whereas this year is less than three hours.

I don’t remember very much about Stansted terminal - bar pacing up and down for what felt like an eternity before I was able to hand over my rucksack at the check-in desk! - so I’m not sure whether it’s compact or spread out or easy to get from A to B.

I’m curious as to what people think. Do you think I’ve given myself enough time or is it likely to prove too tight? My instinct is that if the Santiago flight reaches Stansted on time that I should be ok, but if there’s a delay, then the margin for error is pretty much non-existent.

Any thoughts? Similar situations?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know the airport, but 2:45 should be plenty of time. Even if the first flight is up to an hour late I think you'd be OK. But I'm not a worrier ;)

Mark,
I think 2 hr 45 min is more than enough. And if for whatever reason you fail to connect, then you rebook for the next available flight and you have another story to tell when you get back home.
Aidan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Any chance that you could take your rucksack as hand luggage to save having to leave and go to check-in a dn then go through security again?

I don't know the airport, but 2:45 should be plenty of time. Even if the first flight is up to an hour late I think you'd be OK. But I'm not a worrier ;)

Alas, I can be a worrier. Walking the Camino hasn’t cured me of that, but it’s helped me come to accept that part of my nature!

Any chance that you could take your rucksack as hand luggage to save having to leave and go to check-in a dn then go through security again?

I’ve thought about that, but I’m one of those people who travel heavy... as opposed to light!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mark,
I think 2 hr 45 min is more than enough. And if for whatever reason you fail to connect, then you rebook for the next available flight and you have another story to tell when you get back home.
Aidan

There is another flight to Cork later that day. In my more neurotic moments I’ve considered booking it as an insurance policy!

Thanks for all the answers above. I’m probably worrying about nothing!

I’ve thought about that, but I’m one of those people who travel heavy... as opposed to light!

To be honest I think you should make the connection even with having to check-in and go through security. I am presuming it is the delights of Ryanair! Personally if I was making the connection I probably would take pressure off with trying to squeeze down to just hand luggage but I am a worrier too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mark,

Just like the other's I'd say that you'll have plenty of time. Especially at an airport like Stansted. Even if your flight from Santiago is delayed.

That having said I realise that this won't take away any of your worries. Being a 'worrier' nothing probably will.

My best advice is: please do worry. As much as you can. Picture every worst case scenario and then double the trouble. In the end it won't make any difference: you'll have plenty of time to catch the flight to Cork anyway. Your worries won't change that.

That having said: "Worry away...........

😉

Hi Mark,

I flew Cork to France last weekend via Stansted. You have plenty of time to make your connections. You would easily do it in 90 minutes.

regards,

Paul

Hello Mark
I have flown Santiago to Stanstead and then on to Kerry a few times and never had any problem. As soon as I picked up my rucksack I went straight to bag drop,then through security and find gate number.Then relax
Buen Camino
Maura

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back