• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Finisterra/Muxia without camino application and data plan.

Time of past OR future Camino
Going for Camino walk this Nov.
Hello, it turned out my phone is not working/spoiled on sos mode. Either I am buying a new phone in Santiago De Compostela tomorrow or I walk without data plan/Google map/camino app. I did fine for last 100km of Camino Frances. I am not sure about Finisterra. I have not booked the hostel and as I checked today, the accommodation at Negreira is fully booked for the day after tomorrow. Like I need to stay in 16km away for Albergues or 1.5km away for hotel. Is that safe because I don't have data plan. I am wondering if it is safe to go to Negreira without prior hotel booking and stay at any accommodation that passed by the Camino route without diversion. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2015 the tourist office in Santiago de Compostela gave out a free guide for the walks to Muxia and Finisterra (in English). Although it's old the online version of this may still be useful. It is found at:

https://www.caminodesantiago.gal/documents/17639/155453/Fisterra Muxía - Plano - EN.pdf?version=1.0

Edit: I thought the tourist guide had better lodging information. Try this:

Last edited:
The municipal albergue in Negreira is open all year and does not accept reservations.

When you are on wifi you can download the free Buen Camino app, and the maps should work with GPS without an internet connection. Make sure that you fully download the complete route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at the Hostel Anjana in Negreira in 2015. One of the nicest places I stayed at and treated well. Management changed in 2020. As they say it was just a short walk to the shops in town. They say they are open until November 30.

I stayed at the Hostel Anjana in Negreira in 2015. One of the nicest places I stayed at and treated well. Management changed in 2020. As they say it was just a short walk to the shops in town. They say they are open until November 30.

I checked their Facebook. They are closed.

I checked their Facebook. They are closed.
I’m puzzled as to how you checked a Farcebook page if your phone isn’t working. That aside, the Galician Tourismo on A Rua will provide all the information you need to walk to Fisterra. The Xunta Albergues, those run by the Galician government will be open. No booking allowed and, at this time of year, not necessary in most of the available accommodation.
Unless you have an aversion to Albergue the provision on the Fisterra route is more than adequate. Safe? As anywhere.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m puzzled as to how you checked a Farcebook page if your phone isn’t working. That aside, the Galician Tourismo on A Rua will provide all the information you need to walk to Fisterra. The Xunta Albergues, those run by the Galician government will be open. No booking allowed and, at this time of year, not necessary in most of the available accommodation.
Unless you have an aversion to Albergue the provision on the Fisterra route is more than adequate. Safe? As anywhere.
When I am at restaurant, Albergue. On WiFi

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
or I walk without data plan/Google map/camino app.
Breathe, @shinta_narulita.
Until recently people never used to need map apps, and we haven't lost out brains even though we've outsourced much of their navigation functions to machines.
There are still paper maps out there that you can no doubt quickly figure out how to use.
The route is marked.
You will be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can also download a specific area of Google Maps while you are on WiFi, and then you will have access to it while you are walking.
There isn't an obvious way to do this but it is actually easy. I like clicking the title of embedded YouTube videos to get them full screen but using the arrow will play them within your current webpage.

Hello, it turned out my phone is not working/spoiled on sos mode. Either I am buying a new phone in Santiago De Compostela tomorrow or I walk without data plan/Google map/camino app. I did fine for last 100km of Camino Frances. I am not sure about Finisterra. I have not booked the hostel and as I checked today, the accommodation at Negreira is fully booked for the day after tomorrow. Like I need to stay in 16km away for Albergues or 1.5km away for hotel. Is that safe because I don't have data plan. I am wondering if it is safe to go to Negreira without prior hotel booking and stay at any accommodation that passed by the Camino route without diversion. Thanks.
Did you turn on data roaming? I bought a local Vodafone sim in Portugal and later lost my mobile data connection in Spain when not on wifi. I had to turn on data roaming for it to work.

Did you turn on data roaming? I bought a local Vodafone sim in Portugal and later lost my mobile data connection in Spain when not on wifi. I had to turn on data roaming for it to work.
I bought data roaming but my phone is on sos. That is another big challenge for me. I am tyring to buy 2nd hand phone in Santiago Compostela. I stay near cathedral/museum but could not find any shop that sells that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What does SOS mean in this context?
Okay, I answered my own question y reading this article.
It sounds like there is an issue in the settings on your phone. I would try the steps in the article, and if that doesn't work go to a phone store that sells the brand of SIM card that you bought and have them look at it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back