• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia

Ohiowalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (summer 2015, hopefully!)
I am planning my first Camino for this May and June. (Yes, it's getting close!) My wife may meet me in Santiago, after which we would do the Finisterre and Muxia walk together. I understand that many albergues require a pilgrim's passport to stay there. Assuming that's true for albergues between Santiago and Finisterre/Muxia, could she get a passport in Santiago for that purpose, or would we need to find other places to stay? Thanks, and buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can easily get one from APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino) www.americanpilgrims.com before she leaves. Or pick one up for her along the way, but definitely get one for her one way or another.

You will both need a passport, although if you already have one, you might want to continue to use it on the Camino Finisterre. Otherwise, a passport can be obtained in Santiago from the Galicia Tourist Information office in Rua do Vilar.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've never been a big fan of the "credential" issued by the Gallego Tourist office, at least the one I saw last year. It is essentially a regular folded map, with spaces along the way for sellos. It's a great map and has all of the information you need to make the journey, no guidebook needed. It just isn't much of a credential, IMO. But if all you want is something to make sure you can get into the albergues, it certainly does its job.

It sounds like it will not be a problem that my wife's passport will not have any stamps on it when she starts from Santiago. Right? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It sounds like it will not be a problem that my wife's passport will not have any stamps on it when she starts from Santiago. Right? Thanks.
Yes, that's right, I know lots of people who start with a clean credential when they go out to Finisterre/Muxia, even if they've walked a long way, mainly because the end Santiago cathedral stamp seems like the end of the credential even if there is space left. So it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Right it is not a problem to begin with a fresh Credencial. However DO get a stamp from any place in Santiago before you set out to prove that you are starting from there.

Right it is not a problem to begin with a fresh Credencial. However DO get a stamp from any place in Santiago before you set out to prove that you are starting from there.
I got mine stamped at the Tourist Information Office when I picked it up. The passport I got there did not have enough spaces for a five day walk to Finisterre via Muxia, and I ended up getting some stamps in the back of my Brierley as well as those in the passport. It didn't seem to worry the people at either Muxia or Finisterre that I had done this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If your wife is intending to receive a Compestella by doing the Camino Finisterre as a Camino in itself, it is necessary to receive two stamps per day along the route.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back