• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Finisterre/Muxía

scubajunky

Hi all,
I will be walking the Camino Portugues and then on to Finisterre / Muxia.
I hear the last section is a particularly beautiful walk is that so ?
How is the walk from Finisterre to Muxia ? is that a beautiful walk or can I take the bus ?
I visited Finisterre by bus from Santiago last year due to time constraints can I walk to Muxia froom Santiago instead ? I want the most beautiful route, but if there is not a lot to choose between the two then I will go with the one which is logistically better.
Are there frequent buses from Muxia to Santiago ?
Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We prefer Muxia to Finisterre. We have walked from SDC to Finisterre and onto Muxia in 2012 and we walked SDC to Muxia in 2014.
Can't say one walk is better than the other. We just love the peacefulness of Muxia, although is it becoming more popular.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I found the scenery quite ordinary except for the coast itself. It is just rolling coastal hills and farmland, quite similar to many parts of the Camino. I prefer Muxia. It has a different aura to it; less touristy than Fisterra (to me). Muxia has a strong historical claim to St. James. Fisterra is just a fishing village. Buses from Fisterra to Muxia go through Cee -- there is nothing direct. There are direct buses from Santiago to either place. I found the walking more relaxed; the crowds are much smaller, particularly to and from Muxia.

Synopsis of the Santiago/Muxia bus schedule downloaded March 17, 2016 from URL
http://www.concellomuxia.com/ga/upload/not/50-d-santiagomuxia13.pdf

Santiago to Muxia:
Mondays through Fridays a bus leaves at 8:45 and 16:45
Saturdays a bus leaves at 9:45 and 16:45
Sundays a bus leaves at 9:45 and 18:45

Muxia to Santiago:
Mondays through Fridays a bus leaves at 6:45 and 14:30
Saturdays a bus leaves at 7:30 and 14:30
Sundays a bus leaves at 7:30 and 18:45

The buses between Santiago and Finisterra (and points between) are computed by the day of departure but you can find these out through the monbus.es website. For English go to http://www.monbus.es/en

Under "Choose your journey" are two type-in boxes. The top is for the departure point and under that destination. Type in two or more characters of the name to get a dropdown menu. Two notes: there are more than one departure points for Santiago and Finisterre is listed as Fisterra. Under the destination box you enter how many tickets and whether they are one way or round trip. Under those boxes you enter the date of departure (you get a calendar) and, if a round trip, the date of return. You then click the widget labelled "Buy/See Schedules" to see the departure and arrival times, whether seats are available, the cost and itinerary. You may want to check the itinerary and buy a ticket from Santiago to Corcubión or Cee instead of Finisterra and walk the rest of the way. If you double-click one of the stops on the itinerary you get an interactive Google map showing the location of the stop.

To see what they had I picked a mid-week, mid-month, mid-summer date, Wednesday 13/07/2016 and got 4 Finisterre departure/Santiago arrival time pairs at the regular fare of 15.40€, 08:20/10:40, 09:45/13:00, 15:00/18:00 and 19:00/22:00

Hi all,
I will be walking the Camino Portugues and then on to Finisterre / Muxia.
I hear the last section is a particularly beautiful walk is that so ?
How is the walk from Finisterre to Muxia ? is that a beautiful walk or can I take the bus ?
I visited Finisterre by bus from Santiago last year due to time constraints can I walk to Muxia froom Santiago instead ? I want the most beautiful route, but if there is not a lot to choose between the two then I will go with the one which is logistically better.
Are there frequent buses from Muxia to Santiago ?
Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

The last section into Finisterre is beautiful and lots of coastal walking. The route from Finisterre to Muxia is pleasant, with a particularly pretty coastal part if you take the very slight and well marked detour to Lires at about the halfway point.

As far as I know, there is no bus between Finisterre and Muxia, you would have to backtrack, maybe to Negreira, and transfer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As far as I know, there is no bus between Finisterre and Muxia, you would have to backtrack, maybe to Negreira, and transfer.

You're right Laurie about (no) direct bus connection between Muxia and Fisterra, but it's much easier and faster to change buses in Cee.
I also have good experiences with hitch-hiking between Muxia, Cee & Fisterra. Mostly foreigners and local workers stopped though.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I might just walk to Muxia from Santiago then as I have visited Finestere before.
Surprised to hear that the scenery is not that special between Santiago and F / M.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I might just walk to Muxia from Santiago then as I have visited Finestere before.
Surprised to hear that the scenery is not that special between Santiago and F / M.

Thats only Falcons opinion Scuba , its peaceful and reflective.
And believe me its not like walking into Burgos or Leon.
Enjoy Muxia and divert to the right @ Hospital.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How many days walk is it from SdC to Muxia thru Finisterra? I haven't seen that anywhere (waiting for new Brierly book to be published!). Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How many days walk is it from SdC to Muxia thru Finisterra? I haven't seen that anywhere (waiting for new Brierly book to be published!). Thanks!
Last year I saw a Brierley book on this but I just used the handout from the SdC tourist office. To Finisterre from SdC it is typically three days but with new albergues open I think you can do it in 4 if you wish. From there to Muxia it is 1 or 2 days. You can stop in Liraes in between.

From my notes:
Santiago to Finisterre: 21.0 km + 33.4 km + 36.0 km = 90.4 km = 56.17 miles
Finisterre to Muxia: 13.3 km + 14.3 km = 27.6 km = 17.15 miles

Thank you, Rick!

Take 4 days to Finisterre , enjoy the peace if you have just completed Frances.
Then from Finisterre take 2 days to Muxia , stopping half way ,
Heaven and peace.
Then enjoy Muxia as that is the finish according to the Spanish.
The church is a better option than a lighthouse and tourists.
Stay a few days its lovely.

And the extra cost staying half way is covered by NOT buying Brierly , use the tourist office @ SDC

We always go via Dumbria where the guy who owns Zara built a lovely albergue for walkers , NOT cyclists or luggage movers.

€60,-
I am going to do the Ingles instead of the Frances, as this is my first time out and I don't want to be gone from home that long. I love your description and information, thank you, Thornley!

As far as I know said:
I remember seeing a note on a board in Da Costa albergue in Muxia of pilgrim transport maybe twice a day between muxia and fisterra. perhaps a kind of a taxi service.

Early October we walked on from Santiago to Finisterre and took 5 days.
Night stops at:
Negreira - Albergue San Jose
Santa Marina - Casa Pepe
Hospital - Albergue - O Castelino . Be warned this albergue is not at the Bar on top of the hill although the owner is there and there's food and drink and Wifi available ) Owner will check you in and drive you back down to the village where the excellent albergue is situated. No food no Wifi at the albergue but a good kitchen and beds etc and all very clean)
Between Hospital and Cee it's a 15km walk and there are no coffee stops or indeed anything else on that stretch. (Perfectly doable but not a lot of fun on our only wet morning)
After Cee we night stopped at Corcubion - Albergue Fisterra small but suited our needs.
In Fisterre we opted for night in a small pension before returning by bus to Santiago.
Sadly we did not have time to go to Muxia.

All the albergues we used were very different and all were very good.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to to use this thread- To get a compostela from Santiago to Finisterre Do i receive this at Muxia or Finisterre

You can get your Fisterrana certificate at the municipal albergue in Finisterra (town centre) I didn't go to Muxia but I believe there is a separate compostela for Muxia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The certificate given in Fisterra is given at the muni albergue. For the Muxia certificate, on week days, you pick it up at the town hall and on weekends you can ask for it at the Bella Muxia albergue.

In Fisterra, the cardboard tubes are sold across the street from the muni is the tiny news kiosk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great thanks So Muxia first than finisterre or Doesn't it matter
As far as the certificates go it shouldn't matter but Muxia is quiet and has the church Nosa Señora da Barca at the rocks by the ocean. Finisterra is more lively and has the lighthouse. And better bus service out. Pick which way you want to end your camino.

Great thanks So Muxia first than finisterre or Doesn't it matter

Correct order , Muxia first,
Then stop half way to Finisterre for the day on the beach in great accommodation [In Muxia it will become clear]
The people who own Bella Muxia have a place half way in a lovely setting.
Have a great Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Correct order , Muxia first,
Worry but no. It doesn't matter where you go first in terms of getting the coveted certificates. It is just a matter of preference. One could opt to end in Fisterra because there are mosre busses back to Santiago, or in Muxia to end the journey meditating at sunset in peace on Muxia's magic rocks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back