• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Finisterre

Peter Morrill

Ivar
Could we have a forum on the extension route, Santiago to Finisterre. I did it last week, and it was a wonderful experience, well worth the extra three or four day's walking. If nothing else, it provides a fitting sense of closure to one's experiences on the Camino to stand on the rock overlooking the Atlantic at 'the end of the world'.
regards

Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good idea Peter, here it is!

The Santiago to Finisterre route has seen a great increase of pilgrims in the last few years, so I am sure there are future pilgrims out there looking for information on this "extension".

Greetings from overcast Santiago,
Ivar

I agree with Peter. Walking to Finistere is the best way to complete the camino. The landscape is very beutiful. When you finally see the ocean, the view can take your breath away. I remember walking out passed the light house onto the rocks, having a drink with the sunset and then burning my hiking clothes. It definitely gave me a finality to the whole experience. I highly recomend doing that.

Even if you do not have the time to hike it, one should at least take the bus out there for a day trip!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Because I arrived 2 days too early in Santiago, I took a bus to Fisterra (Finisterre), and spent a night there.

Compared to Santiago, Finisterre is not touristic at all. In fact, the first hours I thought I was at the wrong place. But after asking some fellow pilgrims for advice, I found it to be a quite enjoyable place.

You can do the following things:

- go to the lighthouse at the end of the world. The best route is to take the road first uphill a bit beyond the old church, and then take the route to the right. It is marked with a sign with a walking guy on it. This will take you to the highest point, from where you can take a concrete road further down to the lighthouse, and go back via the main road. There is also a very beatiful sunset a bit after 10 in the evening (take a light with when going back in the dark) at the lighthouse.

- walk along the beach and look for the St-Jacob shells. Enjoy a drink at the end, and walk back to the village through the pines. There is a small paved path going back.

- Have some seafood at one of the restaurants.

In case you take a bus, the timetables can be found at the Santiago tourist office.

Greets,
Christophorus.

Hi I'd like to find out about buses back from Finisterre to Santiago, is the first one at 8am in the morning and it takes about 2.5 hours? Does the bus drop you in town, does anyone have any advice on how to get from there to the airport? I was going to book a Ryanair flight to London at 11:20 and think I'll need to overnight in Santiago first as may not be possible to connect from Finisterre the same day. Also is one night in Finisterre enough? Is it a three day walk from Santiago? Thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This information was correct in November, 2008:

santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/topic226.html

You will find four different buses at Santiago de Compostela Airport:

Airport - Lugo: Route run by the Empresa Freire company between the Santiago airport and the Lugo bus station (Plaza de la Constitución s/n). Runs throughout the day from 07.00 - 19.30

Airport to Santiago Centre: connects the Airport to Dr. Teixeiro, Avenida de Lugo, the bus station and San Lázaro.Runs every 30 - 40 minutes.

Airport to Santiago (Doctor Teixeiro line): runs every 30 - 60 minutes

Special Ryanair service: provided for Ryanair flights connects the airport with the Plaza de Galicia in Santiago, with stops in Avenida de Lugo (near the train station), at the bus station, and in San Lázaro (Convention Centre).

Information telephone: (0034) 981 588 111 and (0034) 981 542 416 or visit http://www.empresafreire.com

CLZulu said:
I was going to book a Ryanair flight to London at 11:20 and think I'll need to overnight in Santiago first as may not be possible to connect from Finisterre the same day.

There is an alternative that I'll be using this summer at the end of my Primitivo/Finisterre, and that is to fly from La Coruna to Heathrow on ClickAir.

There is a morning bus from Finisterre (or many, depending on the day of the week) to La Coruna - Timetable here http://www.coruna-ya.com/transporte-interurbano/costa-da-morte/index.html and scroll down a bit

The ClickAir flight leaves at 15h05, seven days a week and is normally reasonably priced - mine was €50 in August + the normal extras, and a 14% credit card fee - yes. you read it right!
Web site here http://www.clickair.com/view/default.aspx?lang=2

Hope that helps a bit
Mike

CLZulu said:
Also is one night in Finisterre enough? Is it a three day walk from Santiago? Thanks :)

One night enough? It depends on you, my friend. Som pilgrins arrive in Finisterre and take the first bus, others enjoy to stay several days enjoying, the Faro, the mar de Fora beach, Saint Guillerme, just the end of the world, the finnis terrae.

You can walk in just three days, but it may be four if you decide to stay in Corcubion and it's magical albergue just ten kilometres far from Finisterre. Again, it depends on your Camino.

Buen Camino, enjoy it.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What I didn't know was that legend has it that St. Brendan and his monks put ashore at Finisterre on the most westerly point of Spain. In medieval times it was the end of the known world and hence the name Finisterre, which means world's end.

We have on 3 occasions continued on after Santiago .
[Portuguese, Francis and Norte] It is a wonderful experience and we just relax and do nothing but enjoy the area when we arrive.
However the last 2 we finished in Muxia after Finasterre and its a beautiful place.
We enjoy it more because there are fewer people.
There are private bays the locals can direct you to ,in both villages , the only needs being a book , red wine and fresh bread and cheese.
next year we will walk from Madrid and do the Inverino, then continue onto Muxia.It becomes part of the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As said on other letter Magnus, try bus to Vigo and then train to Lisbon.

I offer a minority opinion but one well based in fact and not seen through sunglasses. Go to Fistera if you must but it is now longer the quaint village it was only a few years ago, I find the walk much more enjoyable then Fistera and its myriad restaurants, little old ladies with rooms, and tourist “attractions”. The lighthouse is wonderful since it is not in town! My recommendation? Go first to Muxia, down the coast to Fistera, see the lighthouse and bolt!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not just Fisterre! It is right for some, but not for others. It depends entirely on what you want. Fisterre has carved out its own, rather "busy" atmosphere in recent years and for some that is exactly what they want. But for others it doesn´t work and they feel, well, a bit cheated. If that happens and you want something simpler...walk on to Muxia (30 klms and get a stamp along the way if you plan to stay at the Municipal though there are two newprivate ones: Bela Muxia and El Dolfin) and experience the sacred (and very Pagan!) rocks at the end of the world. This time of the year you will find a different kind of peace and a different kind of completion... It may be your true place to thank the Camino and remember who you are and what you have done...

PS The Municipal remains closed for renovations in Fisterra. (But lots of private choices there.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ivar
Could we have a forum on the extension route, Santiago to Finisterre. I did it last week, and it was a wonderful experience, well worth the extra three or four day's walking. If nothing else, it provides a fitting sense of closure to one's experiences on the Camino to stand on the rock overlooking the Atlantic at 'the end of the world'.
regards

Peter
I am hoping to do it myself this September, trying to work out the best place /way to fly back to the U.K.(Manchester) head back to Santiago or use a more local airport? Any tips anyone?

I am hoping to do it myself this September, trying to work out the best place /way to fly back to the U.K.(Manchester) head back to Santiago or use a more local airport? Any tips anyone?
James lonewolf,

For current info on flights/airports try

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back