• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

santiago to finisterre

eddeg

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria yo santiago twice
Planning on doing this early September, would there be many pilgrims around this time of year

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Early September will mean the August crowds have just arrived in Santiago, but only a part of them continues to Finisterra. There are no statistics I can find at the moment and also 'many' is relative. I would say there are certainly people on the way but I doubt that they are so many that you will have problems finding a bed. Buen Camino! SY

Welcome eddeg, we walked this route in May 2012 after walking the Frances. It was quiet then and we met just a few pilgrims each day, mostly German and one or two French. I believe it has got a bit more popular since as people walk it instead of Sarria to Santiago. It is a nice walk, especially when you near the coast.
Edit: I would also suggest that you take an extra day or even two and walk up the coast to Muxia, it is a lovely walk and you could break it at Lires or do it all in the one day. I liked Muxia far better than Finisterre.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did it second week in September in 2012. There were not too many people. I found that I was walking quite often without others in sight, had no problems getting a bed and company for the evenings.

Greetings from Ireland. I continued to Finisterre in late September last year and it was quite busy but not to the extent that there was difficulty in finding accomodation. The first day in to Negreira, about 24km, small modern municipal albergue about 5 mins from the centre but plenty of private albergues. Day 2, Olveiroa, 32/33km, lovely municipal albergue contained in a number of old stone converted buildings, private albergues also in the town. Day 3, Finisterre, 32/33km. Busy municipal albergue right in the centre, plenty of private albergues also.
Buen Camino,
Gerard.

Thanks guys, done sarria to santiago twice found it very hectic, hope to leave from Dublin early September

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back