• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Fisterra and then start my trail.. need your advise

happy to travel

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking at my question.

This is my first Camino so I'm not sure what to expect :)

I'm going to do the reverse trail and staying at Fisterra, Muxia, Olveira, Negreira and finish at Santiago from the 17th - 21st September 2019 and fly out the next day. See map belowcamino_map.png

So I have a few questions:

1. Is there a direct way from the airport to fisterra? I land on the 16th around 1520?
2. My aim is to complete by the 21th night and fly out lunch time the next day any tips?
3. Do i need to book my accommodation now? or would this route be not as crowded?
4. Where can I store my bags in Santiago when I land? or transfer them when I get to Fisterra?
5. Is there a better route that would be nicer? I do hope to get the completion certificate, if not I can get it next time.
6. Recommended places to sleep? might need my own room as I'm one of those snorers :)

Thanks for you time and advise on this.

Jonny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Jonny!

I can't answer all of your questions but have some tips regarding traveling:

1. I don't know of any direct transport from the airport to Fisterra, but there are frequent busses from the airport to Santiago - and from there you can catch a bus to Fisterra.

There has been an older thread regarding transportation Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bus-tickets-from-finisterre.45718/
The bus schedule for Santiago-Fisterra:
http://www.monbus.es/es/rutas-puntos-de-venta/465/viajar-fisterra-santiago-de-compostela/

2. In Santiago I stayed at the albergue "The Last Stamp" and "0 km" - I liked the latter the most and would recommend it to anyone!

3. In my experience when I walked this path around the same time like you last year, it was not very crowded. No need to book ahead. What helped me was to get a list of all the albergues on the path at the pilgrim's office in Santiago.

Have a great Camino :)

Is it imperative that you start in Finesterre? Getting there from Santiago, after you land ... sounds like a mission, with a taxi probably / possibly the one easy way. Whereas coming back from Finesterre to Santiago is fairly easy to do on a bus, which would certainly get you back for a flight mid-afternoon.

PLUS - Walking against the tide of people isnt so much fun. I have walked back from Finesterre and didnt really enjoy walking in the opposite direction to everyone.

I have walked Santiago to Muxia twice. I took 4 days each time, and that wouldnt fit with your schedule ... but in Negreira I really liked the Albergue Bergando, which is just outside the town. Nice rural setting on a kinda farm.

I also really liked Mt Aro, but that albergue may not work for you as it fits better into a 4 day route, rather than a 3 dayer.

First time I did this route was Easter Week in April this year. We were 7 people so I did book ahead, but actually didnt need to. I did it again in June and didnt book, but that was only 2 of us that time.

In Muxia, I prefer the municipal over @Muxia, the only two places I have experience of. In Finesterre I have stayed at Alberge La Paz twice, which is basic ... but I believe the closest one to the lighthouse, so chosen for that reason.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hiya and welcome to the forum!

I have walked the route you describe a few times, including the same stages as you. It is definitely doable and a nice route! You won't be walking against the tide, you will find plenty walking both directions.

In Finisterre the Municipal is ok but I really love albergue Cabo de Villa, run by a wonderful family.

In Muxia I hated the Xunta albergue (twice). Rude staff and loud atmospherics, looks like a nuclear bunker.

Olveira, I really liked the Xunta, very quaint, with a local bar on same street. Very friendly.

Negreira, I use the Xunta just outside town, I like it, but there are better places in town.

Santiago, I have stayed many places, but nowadays I only use Roots and Boots, wonderful family run, cheap food. Home from home for me.

Buen Camino
Davey

Thanks everyone for all your great answers.

So I'm off on Monday have booked the first night at fisterra. Few more last minute questions:

1. Where do i take the bus to fisterra in Santiago? Think the 1900 and reach really late.
2. Is there a place to get some tramping stuff in santiago?
3. Where can I get the pilgrims passport?
Is there a near by place to store my backpack?
4. Has anyone done really early walks in September? Say 430am starts. If yes any advise?

Thanks so much again. Such a supportive and responsive community makes life for us first timers way easier. Keep up the good work and God bless.

Jonny

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back