• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Leon bus or train ?

shani

Hi Will be walking the Camino from Leon - but will be flying into Santiago from London (that's the cheapest way for me to get to Spain). Is is faster / cheaper / more efficient to get from Santiago to Leon by bus or train ? The Renfe website indicates that the journey is 6h ??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
as discussed in other threads, public transport E from Santiago is not good there are mountains to get through. The big advantage of budget airlines (apart from being cheap) is that they work on single fares. If you want to start from Leon, you're much better off flying Ryanair to Valladolid or Asturias, and returning from Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Santiago to Leon

Hi Shani,

In general Bus is better than train in Spain. The exception is where you can get the high speed train (AVE). They are working on a Madrid - Santiago high speed train, but it will not be ready for a few years yet. The current trains are quite slow and usually takes "forever". I took the night train from Santiago to Madrid once, the return trip was with bus. No more train for me.

ALSA is a bus company that has services to/from most cities in Spain. I did check the Santiago - Leon route on a random day in May (25th) and there is a bus leaving Santiago at 8.00 and arrives in Leon at 14.30. Cost 23,15 euros. That is 6,5 hours, so it seems like the bus does not do this route that quicly either.

Link to ALSA website here:
http://www.alsa.es/portal/index.asp?lang=en
...you can buy ticket online. Bring printout of confirmation and give it to the driver when you enter the bus.

Here is the route that the bus takes:
Itinerary
Population Arrives Leaves
SANTIAGO COMPOSTELA 08:00
CORUÑA 09:00 09:00
BETANZOS 09:20 09:20
GUITIRIZ 09:45 09:45
LUGO 10:30 10:30
BARALLA. 10:45 10:45
BECERREA 10:55 10:55
NOGALES 11:05 11:05
PIEDRAFITA 11:15 11:15
AMBASMESTA 11:20 11:20
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO 11:30 11:30
PONFERRADA TRANSB 12:00 12:30
PONFERRADA 12:00 12:30
BEMBIBRE 12:45 12:45
ASTORGA 13:30 13:30
HOSPITAL DE ORBIGO 14:00 14:00
VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO 14:15 14:15
LEON 14:30

I did a search on MapQuest (link below) and they estimates driving time to 3,5 hours.
santiago_leon.gif

See route here:
http://tinyurl.com/5umyh

If your budget allows, maybe rent a car? Hertz, Avis and EuroCar have offices at the airport in Santiago.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I hope this helps and welcome to Santiago!
Ivar

It seems like while I was doing my reserach, Peter beat me to it. :lol:

Peters suggestions seems like a good idea. Check the ALSA website for connections to Leon.

Ivar

yay! managed to book Santiago to Leon train tickets on Tiknet the Renfe website. Seemed to accept Amex and not Visa for some strange reason. Whatever. Thanks for the other suggestions, but I am visiting people in London after the trip so getting in and out of Santiago is the best option for me. And... hooray for budget flights !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back