• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Lisbon transport

Jstevo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014; Le Puy 2016; Pilg Way 2019; Haervejn 2022
i am travelling from Australia to Lisbon to do the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in June/July 2023. I will train from Lisbon to Porto to start the walk, but am having trouble finding easy options for my return journey from Santiago back to Lisbon. I’ve looked at Rome2Rio but there Don’t seem to be any easy or quick options? I’d be very grateful for any pointers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is possible to fly from Santiago to Lisbon with Iberia - changing planes in Madrid. About 3 1/2 hours altogether. Here's an example for June.

Attachments

• 1671280373826.png
    1671280373826.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 13
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i am travelling from Australia to Lisbon to do the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in June/July 2023. I will train from Lisbon to Porto to start the walk, but am having trouble finding easy options for my return journey from Santiago back to Lisbon. I’ve looked at Rome2Rio but there Don’t seem to be any easy or quick options? I’d be very grateful for any pointers.
There are buses and train services with change of trains in Porto. Assuming that I reach Santiago, I plan to walk to Porto, eventually take the train from Santiago.

It is a wonderful experience! I did the same earlier this year. I had intended to walk back to Porto but decided on Finnistaire instead and then took a bus to Porto from Santiago and then the train to Lisbon. I am also Australian.

I'm flying into Lisbon and home from Madrid from Perth with Emirates. I get the train down from Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never taken the train, but that is what I will do if I ever have to make that journey again. It is true that the flight option from Santiago to Madrid to Lisbon is probably shorter in total travel time. I think I’d rather change trains in Vigo than change planes in Barajas, but it’s good to know that’s an option.

I rode the bus from Santiago to Lisbon, and unless you are someone who loves bus travel like @Anniesantiago, this particular trip is not likely to be high on your list. The bus is comfortable enough, but the route is all autovía and there is a very long stop (45 minutes?) at a highway rest stop. It gets the job done, doesn’t require a transfer, and may be cheaper than the train, so it’s not all bad. But I remember getting off the bus and thinking never again.

There is a direct bus or bus to Porto, train to Lisbon?
I've been having a bit of trouble with the same return route and this is what I have found:
and then the train to Lisbon

I've been having a bit of trouble with the same return route and this is what I have found:
and then the train to Lisbon
Next question, how far in advance does one have to book tickets on trains and buses especially when you have no set completion date for the compostella

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Next question, how far in advance does one have to book tickets on trains and buses especially when you have no set completion date for the compostella
I never do. I either just buy my ticket the day of travel or if I know the day, a few days before.

What is the most convenient and fastest way to get from Santiago back to Lisbon after completing the Portuguese? I have looked at planes, trains and automobiles, but it just doesn't look easy or fast. Anyone????

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you had known, you could have booked your flight home from Porto, rather than Lisbon. There are multiple busses a day that go from Santiago to the Porto airport. You could still get to Porto in about 3 hours on the bus, and then take the train from there (or bus to Vigo and then train) but this isn't going to be quick.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are any trains you can take from Santiago to Lisbon. Maybe a plane is the best way? Looking to find the best way. Thanks Kevin

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was wondering if anyone could let me know if there are any trains you can take from Santiago to Lisbon. Maybe a plane is the best way? Looking to find the best way. Thanks Kevin
You can take a Spanish train to Vigo, and there pick up a Portuguese train at Vigo that crosses the border at Valença and proceeds by the coast to Porto, where you can pick up the train to Lisbon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Imo, bus would be far less stressful than airports and flights and baggage and changes and connections and everything. Direct comfortable bus service from SdC and stops briefly in Vigo and Porto on the way..

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back