• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Lisbon

LookingFor42

Time of past OR future Camino
January-February 2016: Burgos to Santiago de Compastella
Hi. I searched the forums and cannot find an answer to this question but sorry if I am asking something that's been asked before. Happy to be directed to another thread if my search skills are not so good.

I am walking the CF (Burgos - Santiago) in January - February 2016. I want to travel to Lisbon after my Camino to catch up with my aunt who lives there. I have found that train seems to be the cheapest way to make this trek (8+ hours) but that there might be two changes along the way with one train (the middle one) only traveling once a day.

While I am happy to do all the relevant research / Google searching, I thought I'd ask whether anyone here has made the trip from Santiago to Lisbon, how you did it and what your experience of the journey was (I do not have time to walk to Lisbon ;) ).

Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, LookingFor42,
Here's one of the links, it's pretty complete, I think. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...antiago-to-lisbon-or-porto.33745/#post-304937

I do know that for trains you have to change in Vigo and again in Porto, I think, but I would take the train over the bus. It's just personal preference but I have taken that bus from Santiago to Lisbon and it was torture for me. Others like it. Long stop at a bad roadside cafeteria, and not being able to walk around while traveling was the killer.

I think both trips wind up being about the same in total time, but of course the bus is much easier since you get on in Santiago and off in Lisbon. I have found that changing trains in Spain and Portugal is pretty much of a snap, though, and the train station in Porto is worth a visit as well. It has an amazing entry hall with huge historical scenes in blue tiles all over the walls. In fact, if it were me, I'd try to find a way to spend a day or two in Porto. It is lovely.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi. I searched the forums and cannot find an answer to this question but sorry if I am asking something that's been asked before. Happy to be directed to another thread if my search skills are not so good.

I am walking the CF (Burgos - Santiago) in January - February 2016. I want to travel to Lisbon after my Camino to catch up with my aunt who lives there. I have found that train seems to be the cheapest way to make this trek (8+ hours) but that there might be two changes along the way with one train (the middle one) only traveling once a day.

While I am happy to do all the relevant research / Google searching, I thought I'd ask whether anyone here has made the trip from Santiago to Lisbon, how you did it and what your experience of the journey was (I do not have time to walk to Lisbon ;) ).

Cheers

You have three options :
You can fly from Coruña Airport to Lisbon with TAP airlines.
By train you have to change train in Vigo I think.
Bus from Santiago to Lisbon is also possible. I think it takes eight to get there.
BuenCamino

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I only went from SdC to Porto, but there is a change in Vigo (I think that's where it was). You not only change trains, you actually have to change train stations. The morning train from SdC left early - maybe 8. The transfer time was around 30 min. We took a cab between stations, although, if you don't get lost, you can walk it - you head toward the water (beach) and it's pretty much all downhill - but we didn't want to take the chance of getting lost and missing our connection. I think we were in Porto before noon. We went to the train (Renfe) office a few doors down from the pilgrim office in SdC. They found the correct, easiest and quickest route.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back