• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Madrid

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I tried doing a search for this but didn't come up with anything, so sorry if there's a thread somewhere on the same topic. What's the best way to get to Madrid from Santiago? Bus, train, or plane? Also on a tight budget...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The least expensive way is the overnight bus from Santiago to the airport, then downtown. It is not very comfortable, but it gets to the airport around 0730.
Santiago Compostela Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 21:30 07:00 9h 30min 47.46€ LMXJVSD

I tried doing a search for this but didn't come up with anything, so sorry if there's a thread somewhere on the same topic. What's the best way to get to Madrid from Santiago? Bus, train, or plane? Also on a tight budget...

Please refer to:
Transport from Santiago to Madrid
Discussion in 'Traveling to/from the camino' started by riatolken, Apr 29, 2013.

In this forum.

Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It really depends when you book and how far in advance. I have compared all three options on several occasions the last time being this week.

Ryan Air is the cheapest option if you do not incur extra expenses and book early. You can fly out of Santiago for as cheap as 35 euros. Right now they have a early morning and late evening flight. Neither train nor bus can beat this price.

This past summer I took the overnight bus Falcon mentioned because ALSA offered me a discount making it cheaper than the train or plane but sleeping was out of the question.

In January I will be taking the train for 54 euros. I am sure that I could have gotten a cheaper fare but I only booked it two days ago.

For train info: www.renfe.es.
For bus: www.alsa.es.

It really depends when you book and how far in advance. I have compared all three options on several occasions the last time being this week.

Ryan Air is the cheapest option if you do not incur extra expenses and book early. You can fly out of Santiago for as cheap as 35 euros. Right now they have a early morning and late evening flight. Neither train nor bus can beat this price.

This past summer I took the overnight bus Falcon mentioned because ALSA offered me a discount making it cheaper than the train or plane but sleeping was out of the question.

In January I will be taking the train for 54 euros. I am sure that I could have gotten a cheaper fare but I only booked it two days ago.

For train info: www.renfe.es.
For bus: www.alsa.es.

Hello ltfit,

Too bad you are a spring chicken. If you have been an oldster like me, it would have cost you less than €33, even buying at the last minute.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recommend the train as a great way to "decompress" after the camino. I took it yesterday to Madrid and although long, it's soooooo much nicer than the cattle-truck experience of Ryanair or Vueling. Watching familiar names and landscapes slip past is just great. It cost me €38, booked as I was walking out of Ourense last week (would have been even less if booked earlier - and sadly I've still got a couple of years until I get my tarjeta dorada). Santiago airport is the only airport in England or Spain where I've ever had a problem with sticks - last year losing a pair that I'd got metaphorically and physically attached to over two Vias de la Plata.

Spend a little more and take the train. Leaves about 9:00am and arrives mid afternoon in Madrid.

Great opportunity to see some of what I call the "Outback of Spain"

I recommend the train as a great way to "decompress" after the camino. I took it yesterday to Madrid and although long, it's soooooo much nicer than the cattle-truck experience of Ryanair or Vueling. Watching familiar names and landscapes slip past is just great. It cost me €38, booked as I was walking out of Ourense last week (would have been even less if booked earlier - and sadly I've still got a couple of years until I get my tarjeta dorada). Santiago airport is the only airport in England or Spain where I've ever had a problem with sticks - last year losing a pair that I'd got metaphorically and physically attached to over two Vias de la Plata.

hmmm wonder how you got such a cheap ticket. I bought mine 2 days ago for 54 euros! Could it be that buying online vs. at a station is more expensive?

I am taking the 9.05 train which gets you into Madrid-Chamartin at 14.40. Look forward to seeing sights that I walked through this summer while on the Sanabrés (goes through Ourense and Zamora).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry, i forget to mention. When booking your renfe ticket for medium and long distance trains, you can ask for a quiet compartment where no conversation or cell phone talk is allowed. Also no crying babies.

hmmm wonder how you got such a cheap ticket. I bought mine 2 days ago for 54 euros! Could it be that buying online vs. at a station is more expensive?

I am taking the 9.05 train which gets you into Madrid-Chamartin at 14.40. Look forward to seeing sights that I walked through this summer while on the Sanabrés (goes through Ourense and Zamora).

I think it's simply because you're travelling at a really peak time. On Dec 26 and 27 last year every train out of Santiago was fully booked by the time I got round to looking, and I ended up having to pay €120 for a Vueling flight to Barca (and losing my bastones, sigh)

Especially if you travel together with other people, I one way car rental might be a good option. I did this last october with Hertz, really enjoyed the trip for aa atractive price. Prices start from about €100, exluding fuel.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We took the overnight train to Madrid, splendid!!

Does the overnight train have bunks, or just regular seats?

The Trenhotel has bunks. A sample schedule below; you will need to check your specific date within 90 days of departure.

Attachments

• renfe sched.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
I recommend the train. The trip is around 5+ hours. The cost will vary on which train, your age and date. I prefer the train because unlike the airplane or bus you can get up and walk around. They also have much more spacious bathrooms.

Ultreya,
Joe

Sample fares for trenhotel 00852 sdc to madrid, departure: 22.33, arrival: 08.02 (next day), duration 9h 29 min.
Internet price: 2nd cl - €20.35; 1st cl - €66.20; 2nd cl bed - €79.30; 1st cl double family - €116.60; 1st cl single - € 182.30, these two prices are with extra amenities; 1st cl single -€155.70.

The price is for the 10th of january. The trenhotel does not run everyday. The 2nd cl seat tickets vary from day to day, from €20.35, to €35.65, to €50.90.This one shown is the cheapest on the overnight trains.

The cheapest morning train costs €21.70.

Hope this helps anyone considering taking the train. Remember these are internet prices.

A happy christmas to all.

I have been doing some research on train travel from sdc to madrid. The cheapest morning train to madrid on a promotion for 01/03/2014 is €16.25 only. The prices vary from day to day. Please note this is internet price. This price is even cheaper than buying ticket with a tarjeta dorada. For this particular trip, the tarjeta dorada price is €40.65. So it is not alway cheaper to use tarjeta dorada to buy renfe tickets. The promotion on this fare of €16.25 does not indicate whether this is for advance purchase or not, just indicated it is a promo fare.

So if you planned ahead, you should be able to buy cheap train tickets. What have you got to lose? These tickets are non-refundable, non-changeable. This price is cheaper than buying a one day pass from zone 6 to central london before 9:30 am.

Good luck on all your planning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking in Aug/Sep next year and at the end I was planning on taking the traing back to Madrid. The bus and plane may be cheaper but I am quite looking forward to relaxing a bit more on my way back to Madrid, and I feel the opportunity to see a bit more of rural Spain outweighs the quicker or cheaper options.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back