• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Ourense travel

AML

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
I intend to travel to Ourense from Santiago de Compostela on 15 Sept. I think train is the best option. Is it necessary to book train tickets in advance or can I just get them at the train station in Santiago?
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can get tickets at the station. Just make sure you leave enough time as the line sometimes moves a bit slowly.

Well, I think that buying them ahead of time may be a safer way to go, at least if you are going on the Alvia or AVE (high speed). I learned this the hard way in July when I wanted to get from Pamplona to Ponferrada. Since it was a week day, not a holiday, I planned to get them at the train station. I arrived in Pampona on Tuesday afternoon, traveling WEd. Luckily, I checked online to see about tickets and was surprised to see the fast train was all sold out, for the next day and several after that. I was able to get to Ponferrada but it was an 8 1/2 hour trip involving a transfer and a million stops, rather than a fast Alvia ride.

I asked some Spanish friends about it and they told me that RENFE is cutting back on seats/cars on these trains, so they are more frequently full.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I think that buying them ahead of time may be a safer way to go, at least if you are going on the Alvia or AVE (high speed). I learned this the hard way in July when I wanted to get from Pamplona to Ponferrada. Since it was a week day, not a holiday, I planned to get them at the train station. I arrived in Pampona on Tuesday afternoon, traveling WEd. Luckily, I checked online to see about tickets and was surprised to see the fast train was all sold out, for the next day and several after that. I was able to get to Ponferrada but it was an 8 1/2 hour trip involving a transfer and a million stops, rather than a fast Alvia ride.

I asked some Spanish friends about it and they told me that RENFE is cutting back on seats/cars on these trains, so they are more frequently full.

Thanks, yeah i would like to take the high speed train to Ourense. I was intending to go directly to train station from airport when i arrive in Santiago and on to Ourense, so maybe it is better to buy tickets in advance.

You can get tickets at the station. Just make sure you leave enough time as the line sometimes moves a bit wayslowly.
Yes and yes But the train might be booked out. It is probably more important to have reservations from the other way to Ourense. The day I traveled I called to ask the same question and was told I better buy now..there were only 8 tickets left. Guess I bought my ticket right away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes and yes But the train might be booked out. It is probably more important to have reservations from the other way to Ourense. The day I traveled I called to ask the same question and was told I better buy now..there were only 8 tickets left. Guess I bought my ticket right away.

There are currently 12 trains on that route ... the odds are if you miss one you will get the next.

No trains listed for September 15th yet. Basic fare is €16.60 for a 44 minute trip or you could splash out €26.40 and save 6 minutes. There may be some advance booking discounts once train times are actually posted but I have never managed to buy via the RENFE website. Unless you are travelling on a holiday peak walk-up is fine. (IMO)

As there is chance of a Renfe strike on 15 Sept, I wont buy ticket in advance just yet! Im sure there is possibility it will be called off!!
What are bus options from Santiago to Ourense?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back