Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Oviedo

Mummaholio

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I am walking the Portuguese way, starting in May, and would like to continue on from Santiago to Oviedo. Has anyone any experience of doing this route? i.e. Primitivo in reverse.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While walking the Primitivo last year I came across a lady returning to France this way. It looked very daunting and I wondered at the time what motivated her to do it in reverse. It is quite tough compared to other routes as it is, but very rewarding

If you're anti-social and don't like talking to people while you're walking, or meeting up with the same people two nights in a row, could be the way to go. But since some of the direction arrows will be on the wrong side of the tree you're approaching, I'd suggest you have a gps track to follow. That moving blue dot won't care whether you're going in the "right" direction or not.

Or you could do as we did when we finished the Portuguese. Just get on a bus in Santiago for Oviedo, and walk it the "right" way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heehee...the only 'reverse camino' I have walked was from Santiago de Compostela to Lavacolla. It is HARD. Unless you have definite signage, you have to stand in the middle of every crossroad and visualize how you would interpret the waymarks if you were coming from the 'right' direction. Once you get into the rhythm of it, it is not too difficult. Buen Camino sez I.

If you're anti-social and don't like talking to people while you're walking, or meeting up with the same people two nights in a row, could be the way to go. But since some of the direction arrows will be on the wrong side of the tree you're approaching, I'd suggest you have a gps track to follow. That moving blue dot won't care whether you're going in the "right" direction or not.

Or you could do as we did when we finished the Portuguese. Just get on a bus in Santiago for Oviedo, and walk it the "right" way.
I did think of that. It just feels right to continue on in the same direction. Don’t ask my Why? Cos I don’t know.

Should not be a particular problem and I can see the attraction of just keeping on going! I would use a wikiloc track as you can choose which way to walk it. Also with wikiloc you do not have to keep looking at the phone as it will alert you if you are more than about 100m off track.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
While walking the Primitivo last year I came across a lady returning to France this way. It looked very daunting and I wondered at the time what motivated her to do it in reverse. It is quite tough compared to other routes as it is, but very rewarding
Anita, from Toulouse. I met her in May on the Primitivo we talked for about 30 minutes, though neither one of us spoke each other’s language.

Attachments

• FCAFF722-E738-41BF-8E69-93823863A7DE.jpeg
    FCAFF722-E738-41BF-8E69-93823863A7DE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Anita, from Toulouse. I met her in May on the Primitivo we talked for about 30 minutes, though neither one of us spoke each other’s language.
Yes exactly her. I felt so sorry for her because the albergue was full and she had to carry on walking all on her own in the opposite direction.

Yes exactly her. I felt so sorry for her because the albergue was full and she had to carry on walking all on her own in the opposite direction.
Oh no, how sad. She is a trooper. I wish I had her contact information. We met May 22 2019 near Palas de Rei. Do you remember where you met?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh no, how sad. She is a trooper. I wish I had her contact information. We met May 22 2019 near Palas de Rei. Do you remember where you met?
Just before Ferreira. The big albergue there was closed and the only open one was turning pilgrims away so that they had to walk on to Melide. Fortunately we had phoned ahead and booked but she had also been turned away. I thought that she was quite incredible.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back