• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Peniche, Portugal

DJ BJ

Does anyone have an idea how I can make it to Peniche in Portugal from Santiago? Buses or trains? I'm having problems wading through schedules with my limited Portugese (and by limited I mean none).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there DJ BJ,

First of all, I would have to say that you live in a beautiful part of the US! I used to live in Fort Collins, and drove up in your area quite a few times. Great hiking country!

For the trip to Peniche (I have never been there), I think I would recommend the bus. Buses in Spain are usually a better way to travel that trains. Usually buses are more comfortable and faster.

Have a look at http://www.alsa.es (Click "English" in top right corner for a better understanding). They have a bus to Lisboa from Santiago de Compostela... its itinerary says it has the following stops:

these are aproxímate times.
Itinerary
City Arrives Leaves Days
SANTIAGO COMPOSTELA 10:00
PONTEVEDRA 10:45 10:45
VIGO 11:15 11:15
VIGO Aeropuerto Peinador 11:30 11:30
BRAGA 11:45 11:45
OPORTO Aeropuerto Sa Carneiro 12:30 12:30
OPORTO 12:45 12:45
ALBERGARIA 14:15 14:15
COIMBRA 15:00 15:00
LEIRIA 16:00 16:00
FATIMA 16:30 16:30
LISBOA ORIENTE 18:00

... once you are in the general area you would need to change to local transportation to get to Peniche. Not sure about what would be the best way, but the Alsa bus might stop at the bustation in Leira or Fatima and then you could maybe get a local bus from there?

Buen camino!
Ivar

Ivar,

Thank you very much for the direction. Hopefully your new endeavor in Santiago will be in full swing by November and I'll see you at trails end.

Thanks again,
Bryan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back