• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Porto - by bus or train?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
It looks like I can take a train or a bus from SdC to Porto, although according to Rome2Rio the train seems to involve a transfer, which involves taking a short bus ride.

If anyone has experienced either taking the train or bus to Porto from SdC, or better yet if you've done it both ways, which do you recommend? Is the Porto train station/bus station centrally located?

I tend to prefer trains over buses, but if it's a hassle I'd prefer the bus.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I usually take a bus from SdC and with ALSA, it gets you into Casa da Musica and from there just a short metro ride into town.
Others might correct me, but I think the train involves a change between stations in Vigo? Not a big deal either, but I like the bus journey. Note that seats sell out so good to book in advance!!

Back in 2013 I looked but could not see a direct train service (on a sunday) so I took the bus. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I generally prefer taking the train, but the trip from Santiago to Porto on the bus was very pleasant, and I didn't have to fuss with transfers.
I've done this trip twice - once on Alsa bus and once in Flixbus.

I generally prefer taking the train, but the trip from Santiago to Porto on the bus was very pleasant, and I didn't have to fuss with transfers.
I've done this trip twice - once on Alsa bus and once in Flixbus.
Actually, I usually prefer the buses as they are more quiet and I can ask the driver questions if need be. Recently in Italy when taking the train there were many students on board, loud and obnoxious, sorry to say, but they were just acting normal at that age.
In Portugal, I took a rather long 7 hour bus ride from the southern coast to Porto and it was very relaxing.

I have used the bus to Porto 3 times (2017, 2018, 2018). Fast efficient and numerous services. The alternative then was a train to Vigo and having to overnight there before daily train service to Porto.
Another option might be train to Tui, walk across the Valenca and train to Porto.
JD

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have used the bus to Porto 3 times (2017, 2018, 2018). Fast efficient and numerous services. The alternative then was a train to Vigo and having to overnight there before daily train service to Porto.
Another option might be train to Tui, walk across the Valenca and train to Porto.
JD
I truly like both the bus options and the train, depending on where we are headed. They each have their place and every situation is different for our needs at the time based on our particular time constraints/reasons for travel. Sometimes one over the other becomes the better option...I'm just glad we often have options to weigh out what is best.🙂

It looks like I can take a train or a bus from SdC to Porto, although according to Rome2Rio the train seems to involve a transfer, which involves taking a short bus ride.

If anyone has experienced either taking the train or bus to Porto from SdC, or better yet if you've done it both ways, which do you recommend? Is the Porto train station/bus station centrally located?

Are there facilities on buses? I've heard most do but are sometimes locked.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most do, but they generally fare less well on buses than they do on trains, especially on longer journeys. For this reason it's not uncommon to find them out of action. The bus stations in larger towns usually have good facilities, small towns often don't.

All of the longer haul buses I have taken in Spain had bathrooms down the stairwell at the back exit. They are obscure, outwardly unappealing and don't think a full height door. I get the impression those are only used for true emergencies. The longer bus rides always stopped once or twice at bus terminals along the way, giving the driver (and us) a chance to use the bathroom and stretch our legs.
In Italy on a bus tour of the country, I never saw anyone use that stairwell "cave"; we were discouraged by the tour guide, but it did stop often.
In the US I have only taken the bus to the airport and back. They have "airport style" bathrooms and you can use them whenever necessary.

In 2017 we took the bus. Very comfortable and straightforward.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree -- bus service throughout Portugal is very good and comfortable; I've used both the trains and buses extensively throughout Portugal and truly appreciate both. My only complaint about the bus stations is that I've found it difficult to figure out which bay will be used for the departing bus (I'm admittedly Type A... The buses have destinations and bus numbers on the front, but if you don't know the geography and the routing, it can be difficult. I've seen two buses arrive with the same route number markings but going to different locations). I haven't been able to figure this out yet (I rarely stand in line to buy tickets, I buy them online instead. But perhaps buying them in line would provide that bit of info). Please note that the buses usually arrive just minutes before the departure time, so try to not let its absence stress you. Fortunately, the drivers pay close attention to each person getting onto the bus and direct you away if you make a mistake.

The Porto main train station is Campanha. It's not central, but it's an easy transfer to the line taking you to the VERY central Sao Bento station, about a 5 minute ride away.

There are several places to catch buses around Porto, as I recall (there are 5-6 different bus companies, often operating out of various locations). I'm not recalling one distinct bus station... perhaps I can get some assistance from others more knowing on this topic. The bus and train stations are now collocated in SdC, an easy walk outside the Old Town area.

I used google maps a lot, in addition to Rome2Rio, to figure out my transportation options around Porto. There are many options, generally quite easy to use.
Locally around Porto, Uber is also very inexpensive to use, if needed. I'm guessing cabs are reasonable for short lifts, too.
Good luck!

I took a bus at the end of Sept and it was great. There is one with just a couple of stops and you can get off at airport in center town in Porto. ALSA

I did the bus....it was great

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took a bus this summer. Super easy and direct. Makes a few stops in Porto including the airport and main bus terminal.

In Fall 2021 wetook the ALSA bus to Porto from SdC. Right on time. We purposely found a place to stay within easy walking distance of the Porto bus station. It worked great, a nice area, and relatively easy walking distance (after the Camino!) from most of the major sites in Porto - maybe a couple of miles at most. We were glad of our plan - it was raining heavily in Porto and we were glad to only have to walk 10 minutes or so. We loved Porto.

We did SC to Porto on the bus - got in late - so got off at the airport grabbed an Uber directly into our accomodation at Porto
We have just finished De Norte so stuffed

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2018, took the bus because it was a shorter trip, cost less and was direct to the airport where we were staying in an albergue before flying out the next day. It stopped in town too.

I make the assumption that I will be able to reach Santiago on the Camino Frances from France, in decent shape. If that is the case, I wish to hike to Porto, the city my mother lived for a short time before immigrating to the United States during WW2. There are better airline connections from Porto to Toulouse than from Santiago.

Last edited:

I found the bus very comfortable and inexpensive from Santiago to Porto in November 2022. There was a washroom but nobody used it (seemed as others have said to be oddly situated and hard to get into). I love trains, but like you found no direct one. I walked from Campanha station to my lodgings (about 30 mins which seemed like nothing after the Portugues and the Ingles Caminos combined) but metros are recommended by locals as easy quick.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

We took the ALSA bus from SdC to Porto in November 2022, mostly because there was no transfer like the train trip required.

You could get off at Porto Airport, or the Porto Bus terminal. Both have metro stops.

We took a bus from Santiago to Porto, mainly because there were no transfers required - just a straight shot. Bus stopped at the bus terminal, then we hopped on the train to take us to Sao Bento station (quick 5 minute ride) - very easy to navigate.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back