• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Porto or CDG? and an Amsterdam layover.

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hello all :)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'll ask for any suggestions before I pull the trigger.
Considering the COVID situation and the unknown for September 2022 would you rather fly from and why:

#1 Santiago to Paris for one night before going back to the U.S.
The flight from CDG to the U.S. is shorter by about six hours. The cost is about the same.

#2 Santiago to Porto by bus then fly out the next day at 5am (can I catch the metro to the airport at 3am?
There is a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam arriving at 8:30a, what would you do with that time?

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you choose the Porto option you could stay very close to the airport and take a taxi or Uber.
The bus actually has a stop at the airport in Porto. That's where I got off to get to my accommodation.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would choose to go home via CDG which is the quickest option. One single night in Paris would leave you wishing you had more days available to enjoy it, (I had 4 days and it was barely enough), not to mention it adds 6 hours to an already long flight home.
EDIT, I don't think option #1 or #2 sound worth the extra hassles, as neither provides any quality sightseeing time if that is what you are hoping for, but that's just me.

Last edited:
I would choose to go home via CDG which is the quickest option. One single night in Paris would leave you wishing you had more days available to enjoy it, (I had 4 days and it was barely enough), not to mention it adds 6 hours to an already long flight home.
EDIT, I don't think option #1 or #2 sound worth the extra hassles, as neither provides any quality sightseeing time if that is what you are hoping for, but that's just me.
Thank you. I’ve been to Paris several times and Amsterdam once. So I really don’t need to do a lot of site seeing. If any.

EDIT: Since #1 or #2 seem like a hassle. Do you have any other suggestions, hassle free, to get back to the U.S. from Santiago? Other ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ve been to Paris several times and Amsterdam once. So I really don’t need to do a lot of site seeing. If any.

EDIT: Since #1 or #2 seem like a hassle. Do you have any other suggestions, hassle free, to get back to the U.S. from Santiago? Other ideas are welcome.
I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand your post/question if you are not interested in seeing the cities you mention. Flying out of CDG seems to be easiest and it is what I usually choose to do. Other members may have alternative suggestions for you to consider.

I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand your post/question if you are not interested in seeing the cities you mention. Flying out of CDG seems to be easiest and it is what I usually choose to do. Other members may have alternative suggestions for you to consider.
Maybe I wasn’t clear with my question.

Fly home via CDG straight to the U.S. or PORTO which includes a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam, then I asked what would you do in Amsterdam for 6 hours.

I guess I’m asking because I’m nervous about going from Spain to France with all the COVID requirements. Who knows what September will bring.

Considering the COVID situation only: would it be easier to go from Santiago to Porto or Santiago to CDG? I prefer the CDG route as that’s my usual way as well. Perhaps I’m overthinking…. Again. 🤣🤪 Thank you for your patience.

Nobody knows the covid situation in september 2022.

The pandemic might be finished or it becomes even worse … or something in-between.

Regarding the connection I‘d choose the Paris option, because it‘s shorter in time.

Since your question relates to Covid restrictions, I think you need to be aware of what Covid requirements your itinerary entails for each country you transit through. For example, in January I flew roundtrip from Boston to Malaga, Spain via TAP airlines. Portugal requires all air passengers meet their Covid rules - even if they are just connecting lights or transiting through an airport. Returning, I had to be sure I had all documentation for both Portugal and the United States. Rules are constantly changing, so you have to keep up to date right up until your flight but I would suggest fewest connections and countries is best. I have several times flown to the US from Santiago transiting through Madrid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'll ask for any suggestions before I pull the trigger.
Considering the COVID situation and the unknown for September 2022 would you rather fly from and why:

The flight from CDG to the U.S. is shorter by about six hours. The cost is about the same.

#2 Santiago to Porto by bus then fly out the next day at 5am (can I catch the metro to the airport at 3am?
There is a 6 hour layover in Amsterdam arriving at 8:30a, what would you do with that time?

You kidding 6 hours in Amsterdam? Lots of fun thing to do and see. You will love it's one of my favorite cities to visit.

Since your question relates to Covid restrictions, I think you need to be aware of what Covid requirements your itinerary entails for each country you transit through. For example, in January I flew roundtrip from Boston to Malaga, Spain via TAP airlines. Portugal requires all air passengers meet their Covid rules - even if they are just connecting lights or transiting through an airport. Returning, I had to be sure I had all documentation for both Portugal and the United States. Rules are constantly changing, so you have to keep up to date right up until your flight but I would suggest fewest connections and countries is best. I have several times flown to the US from Santiago transiting through Madrid.
Thanks, I've flown from Madrid back to Idaho once and it was okay, a long day. Almost like if I do the Porto flight to Amsterdam. At least here I will have something to pass the time during layover. However, Madrid is definitely an alternative and dependent on the COVID restrictions come September, would be the option by preventing crossing boarders.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm assuming that you don't want to fly from Madrid due to costs. The low cost airline Level flies from Barcelona to NY, SF, LA and Boston. They report a 241 euro fare to Boston for most of September and you can visit Barcelona.

Thanks those are really great fares but those low cost airlines don't offer much for comfort on that long overseas flight. I do Delta, Delta Comfort. After my first couple of long distance flights I've graduated to comfort and once you're there it's hard to go back. :)

Thanks those are really great fares but those low cost airlines don't offer much for comfort on that long overseas flight.
I'm not trying to talk you into flying Level but I do want to mention for others reading this thread and are interested in Level that, for our 2019 Boston round-trips, we were actually piggybacking on Iberian flights and service and seating appeared to be the same as Iberian economy class. Maybe Level messed up but they would have messed up twice as RT tickets were bought months in advance but I picked up an earlier return just days in advance. I paid full fare for that as the tickets were only a bit over $100 US each way but a change to a ticket would have cost $200. When I got back home I told Level they could resell my seat on my originally booked flight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not trying to talk you into flying Level but I do want to mention for others reading this thread and are interested in Level that, for our 2019 Boston round-trips, we were actually piggybacking on Iberian flights and service and seating appeared to be the same as Iberian economy class. Maybe Level messed up but they would have messed up twice as RT tickets were bought months in advance but I picked up an earlier return just days in advance. I paid full fare for that as the tickets were only a bit over $100 US each way but a change to a ticket would have cost $200. When I got back home I told Level they could resell my seat on my originally booked flight.
Oh, I didn’t feel any pressure at all. I appreciate your ideas and input. Crazy good prices and it’s great you’re close to one of their airports. I would need to purchase a separate flight to a West Coast airport from Boise. After looking at the LEVEL website I figured the price would be roughly the same if not more using them for my international travels. I can see how beneficial it would be for East Coast pilgrims. Buen Camino 😁

I would try to avoid as many transfers as possible. Every transit through an airport is additional hassle. And, I can't see the point of the Porto flight, if it means you have to go through an extra country (Netherlands) AND leave Porto at 5 am.

As someone who has regularly flown Portugal>Amsterdam>western Canada, because I like KLM as an airline, I've hated that the KLM flights are always leaving at 5:30 or 5 am from Lisbon. I guess they don't have preferred slots at the airport later in the day. I've now changed to flying Portugal>eastern Canada>western Canada instead. One less country to transit.

Any chance you could bus or (preferably) train south to Lisbon (only 3 hours or so past Porto), and then fly directly Portugal to the US? There are a fair number of Portuguese flights to the US east coast.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
More like 3, Right? I’ve been to Amsterdam once and if I recall correctly the airport isn’t too far from all the sites. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The railway to Amsterdam is right in the airport. We once did a trip (luggage checked all the way through) where we took the train into central Amsterdam and then did a canal cruise for a couple of hours. It was a lot of fun!

If you choose the Porto option you could stay very close to the airport and take a taxi or Uber.
The bus actually has a stop at the airport in Porto. That's where I got off to get to my accommodation.
Yes that is right and you reminded me that last Nov when I took Flixbus to Lisbon we did stop at the Porto airport. Remember, all, if you buy such a ticket from Flixbus, they use Monbus from Santiago, and Flixbus passengers get to board before Monbus passengers, so be on the lookout for the staff member who checks your ticket outside the second door, not the one near the driver (as of last Nov).

I would try to avoid as many transfers as possible. Every transit through an airport is additional hassle. And, I can't see the point of the Porto flight, if it means you have to go through an extra country (Netherlands) AND leave Porto at 5 am.

As someone who has regularly flown Portugal>Amsterdam>western Canada, because I like KLM as an airline, I've hated that the KLM flights are always leaving at 5:30 or 5 am from Lisbon. I guess they don't have preferred slots at the airport later in the day. I've now changed to flying Portugal>eastern Canada>western Canada instead. One less country to transit.

Any chance you could bus or (preferably) train south to Lisbon (only 3 hours or so past Porto), and then fly directly Portugal to the US? There are a fair number of Portuguese flights to the US east coast.
Yes, I could take a train from Santiago to Lisbon then fly directly home. I looked up the flight and it’s only $300 more than what I’ve already booked, the CDG-BOI option. (I couldn’t help it, I got a great deal.) Thank goodness I have no change fees. $300 or more would be what it would cost for a one night stay near CDG and the flight there from Santiago. I’m thinking airfare will drop still for September, must be patient. Now to search Santiago to Lisbon and one night stay. It’s doable and different then what I’ve already done. Perhaps it’s a good opportunity to visit another great city. Ugh decisions. 🤪
Thanks for the thought.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back