• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Rome (Part 1)

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wish you well, take care, and hope your passport stands you in good stead!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jill
Have a wonderful trip. I know you are setting out well researched and well prepared. What an experience though!! Wow.

I hope the weather smiles on you and look forward to a snippet if you do connect,

Buen Camino
Annie

How long do you think it might take you?

I’ve calculated that it’s about 2800kms, so averaging about 23kms per day, it will take about 122 days, or about 18 weeks.

However, I had to book a cheap return flight (from South Africa), but I’m travelling on a UK passport, so if Brexit kicks in I thought it would be safest to stay within 90 days, in case I overstay my welcome.

I’m also thinking I might have had enough after 90 days anyway!

So I have a return flight from Marseille, and if all goes well, I’ll return to Marseille next year, same day and month, to continue with Part 2. That’s the plan anyway!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jill, I wish you a very "good way"!
When you first posted about this "rather lengthy" backwards Camino many months ago, I thought of what a self assured and confident person you must be and I was amazed. Now it is really coming to fruition. I hope you have lots of great weather overall. Are you still bringing a tent?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have had 6 glorious weather days - cool but sunny. About to change tomorrow - just as I have to climb up to O'Cebreiro - minus 1C maximum 3C forecast. Didn't time that very well! Was passing about 30 peregrinos a day up to Sarria, but only 5 of us in the Xunta albergue in Sarria last night - with underfloor heating, so warm and cosy. Saw only 5 peregrinos today (via San Xil). NOTHING was open between Sarria and Triacastela, so really enjoying my late afternoon Menu del Dia at Complexo Xacobea before heading on to the Xunta albergue for the night.

Jill,
Your posts are great! By the way that Complexo Xacobea has very nice large dorm rooms and great showers if you wish to stay the night.

Godspeed, Buen Camino and,
as always, Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Margaret! Yes, I have stayed in their albergue 3 times already, so thought I'd go to the Xunta this time ;) just for a change :D

Last edited:
OK, I confess. Didn't make it to the Xunta albergue but did a sharp right into the Complexo albergue instead :rolleyes:. For 10 euros I have clean sheets and blankets, and being the last to arrive I have my own dorm :D. Just 4 others in the other 8-bed dorm on this floor. And a hairdryer so I could wash my hair. I am a happy peregrina tonight.

There must have been 30+ peregrinos in the O'Cebreiro albergue last night. Where did they all come from??! Mostly young Spaniards. I counted 12 peregrinos on the way up to O'Cebreiro yesterday, and only 11 on the way down today. So glad to have left Galicia behind. Every village and farmyard has at least 2 big loose dogs, and I know they are not dangerous, but I am still a nervous wreck getting past them. One big soppy labrador followed me yesterday. He refused to go back. On the main road I had to frantically wave the cars to slow down as he insisted on walking in the middle. He finally turned around when he saw the big loose dogs in the next village . . . I am now in Trabadelo. I intended going further, but it has rained all day and when I saw a brand new hotel (Nova Ruta) I wondered if they might be undercutting everyone else in the area to get established, so went in and asked their prices. Have a nice ensuite room for 30 euros, and a good menu del dia for 11 euros.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So far so good. I am through Leon. And Burgos. Some memorable moments:

Nice to see the crepe lady is still alive and kicking in Fonfria.

Late afternoon all alone at the Iron Cross . . . until a car drove up, a man got out leaving the car radio on full blast. He walked around a bit, yelled "Buen Camino" to me (I waved back) and off he sped . . . leaving me alone in the silence again.

Being grilled by another peregrino at Monte Irago in Foncebadon. Where was I from? Where did I walk from today? Why am I walking backwards? How old am I? And that was before I could get my boots off.

Sitting for a long time in the Garden of Remembrance.

Then arriving very late at the albergue in Astorga as I got sidetracked into a really cool blues bar on my way through town :oops:

Enjoying a long chat with Italian Lucca who has taken over from David at the Cantina.

A lovely evening and dinner with Christine at the Vilares de Orbigo albergue.

Watching 2 peregrinos swimming in the river at Villarente - in February!

An evening at the Elvis Bar in Reliegos with a big group of Spanish peregrinos.

A REAL cafe con leche - a huge mugful - when I needed it most on a very cold and frosty morning in San Nicolas del Real Camino.

Walking parallel for 2 days with a very young couple, also walking in reverse, who were very much in love, and wild camping (in winter!).

I hate mixed ablutions especially when the shower stalls are so tiny it is physically impossible to get dressed in them. So I get back from the bar at 9pm, grab my toothbrush, open the ablutions door, and get the full monty from a startled late arrival peregrino. Retreat to my bunk and only when I am sure all 5 men are tucked up in bed with their faces in their phones do I attempt to go and brush my teeth again.

A stunning sunrise next morning leaving Calzadilla de la Cueza for the long walk to Carrion de los Condes.

A great meal, great company, and great pod beds at La Finca in Poblacion de Campos.

Jill

I loved your report, Jill! Great little tidbits, concisely written! I think my favorite snippet was hearing about your huge mug of Real cafe con leche, yum, I love it too!...Second was the laugh I got by envisioning your surprise at finding the full monty dude in the shower stall! 😛

A camino buddy joined me in Puente la Reina and has walked the Camino Aragones with me. After a month solo it has been great to have the company.

It has been a little bit difficult going backwards but MapsMe has been there for us, so we could get back on track when we went wrong.

Today we walked over the Somport Pass. The scenery is breathtaking. We have been so lucky with the weather. It snowed when we got to Canfranc Estacion and had to stay 2 nights but today the weather was glorious and we stayed on the road.

Tonight we are in the gite at Urdos. Really nice.
Jill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Now thru Toulouse, on the Canal du Midi. Seeing about 1 peregrino a day on average. Loving the French people along the way - very friendly and helpful. A highlight a few days ago: a family of wild boar crossed the path ahead of me; 2 BIG ones, 4 smaller and 3 babies. I watched them head up the hill beside me. Fabulous.

Now thru Toulouse, on the Canal du Midi. Seeing about 1 peregrino a day on average. Loving the French people along the way - very friendly and helpful. A highlight a few days ago: a family of wild boar crossed the path ahead of me; 2 BIG ones, 4 smaller and 3 babies. I watched them head up the hill beside me. Fabulous.
Glad to hear you are alive...and apparently well! You are making great strides on your reverse journey! All the best to you as you continue!

There are none so blind. I had lost your thread and have just caught up. What an adventure. I congratulate you and will be keeping an eye out now, hoping all continues to go well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Loving your thread Jill <3 I start the same journey in a few days, although likely to be doing the Noord from Santiago, before heading towards Rome. I happened along your thread as I sought others who may have done the same journey. Last year I traveled from the Netherlands to Santiago, slowly... about 5 months in the end, and the French leg of the journey was phenomenal. It was a tonic to read that the hospitality and grace shown me was present still in the south. Bonne Courage!

Ultreia!

Rich

I walked as far as Castres, about 1330kms altogether. Then just decided to stop. For no particular reason. Got the train back to Toulouse and changed my flight home. I guess I had had enough! Not sure yet when I will go back to continue.

I walked as far as Castres, about 1330kms altogether. Then just decided to stop. For no particular reason. Got the train back to Toulouse and changed my flight home. I guess I had had enough! Not sure yet when I will go back to continue.

Thank you for your reply Jill

That is still a monster trek... I guess I hit the wall at about 2k last year and the last 500 was pretty arduous. I don't plan on taking it so quickly this time, and there were moments I felt like doing exactly the same Jill. I will do it as a charity walk again, for CharityWater, and I have to say when things got tough, and they invariably do, the feeling that I was walking for others gave me a great deal of strength when my own reserves were low. In the end I think we all know what we can do and whether we enjoy it or not, I certainly enjoyed the break. :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Santiago to Rome (Part 2) is on hold for a year or two. I am so thrilled that hubby (not a walker, but fitter than me) is keen to walk “some of the camino” with me next year. He wants to walk the last day into Santiago. So we are working on an itinerary that includes some “interesting” days (he’s into museums, history, politics, art galleries). No albergues (“been there done that don’t need to do it again”) so I get to stay in some nice hotels (yippee!!!). He will be 78 and I will be 66, so this may be the last camino that we can do together. Santiago to Rome (Part 2) is on hold for a year or two . . .

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back