• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Rome

renegadepilgrim

Veteran Pilgrim and Traveler
Time of past OR future Camino
2010: Camino Frances, 2011: Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Hospitalera), 2012: Camino Portuguese from Porto, 2015: Camino Norte
Looking at how I am going to get to Rome from Santiago in mid-May. Not entirely sure when I am going to finish the camino, but I'm starting on April 17th from SJPdP and figuring I'll get to Santiago around May 20th, possibly go to Finisterra, then need to get to Rome.

Couple of questions:
1) Should I book ahead of time?
2) Should I fly?
3) Should I do a combo of trains/planes and bus to get there?

I'm in no hurry to get there, and at the moment don't have any real plans for that part of my trip. I know I have from the end of my camino until June 20th to hang out in Italy (or Croatia or anywhere near there) and possibly do a work exchange for a bit. Also hoping to visit my cousins in Abruzzo for a bit. The only real plan is I hope to spend June 10th-20th in Rome exploring more of the religious sights I didn't see last time I was there. Everything else is still being worked out. I just need to make sure I am in Rome by June 20th to catch my flight to Tel Aviv.

So, any ideas on the best way to get to Rome from Santiago? I will be on a tight budget, so cheap is good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ryanair has a direct flight Saturdays and Tuesdays in June from SDC, Spain to Rom, Italy.
If you haven`t taken Ryanair before check the information on your ticket and luggage very carefully so there won´t be no surprises.
And yes you should book (I would myself)

Travel safe!
annie

We flew from Santiago into Rome with no problem at all. The ticket was 228 Euro round trip. That was in September. We stayed in Tiber Camping campground. An easy Metro ride but beware.. they have bedbugs in Rome as well! We found them in 5 of the rooms before we found a room that was bug free!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will look into Ryanair. The only problem with that is if I decide to go to Finisterre, I might not get back in time for my flight....I've also heard they have all kinds of hidden fees too. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble..... Thanks everyone!

Ryanair has a one-way to Rome for 105 Euros. I'm wondering if I should buy that or should I maybe take a bus to a bigger city that might have better fares. I know it's a good deal, I just want to check around a bit.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back