• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Santander/Bilbao by train

PingPongPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there,
I'm hoping to do the Camino Frances next year. I will be getting a ferry from Santander or Bilbao back to the UK after completing the Camino and wondered if anybody has travelled from Santiago to Santander/Bilbao by train and if so, which route would you suggest?
Many thanks in advance.
Chris

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
While I didn’t travel to the cities you want, I did use Renfe, the FEVE (which I think now may be part of renfe) and Alsa (bus) a few times. I’d just go to each website (they can be translated to English) and look at times and prices. The bus might even be faster or better times and I thought they were clean and comfortable

Buen Camino!

This tool is very useful:

And if you are over 60, you can buy the Carta Dorada (gold card) for 6 Euros: It will give you 25% discount on all (I believe) train travels in Spain for a year's duration (!). You buy it in the train station prior to purchasing your ticket(s).

Edit: Welcome to the Forum! and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While I didn’t travel to the cities you want, I did use Renfe, the FEVE (which I think now may be part of renfe) and Alsa (bus) a few times. I’d just go to each website (they can be translated to English) and look at times and prices. The bus might even be faster or better times and I thought they were clean and comfortable

Buen Camino!
Thanks for your response, it is much appreciated

This tool is very useful:

And if you are over 60, you can buy the Carta Dorada (gold card) for 6 Euros: It will give you 25% discount on all (I believe) train travels in Spain for a year's duration (!). You buy it in the train station prior to purchasing your ticket(s).

Edit: Welcome to the Forum! and Buen Camino!
Thanks for your responses Alex, they are much appreciated

Hi there,
I'm hoping to do the Camino Frances next year. I will be getting a ferry from Santander or Bilbao back to the UK after completing the Camino and wondered if anybody has travelled from Santiago to Santander/Bilbao by train and if so, which route would you suggest?
Many thanks in advance.
Chris
My wife and I took the train from Santiago to Santander in 2018 but broke our journey in Astorga to walk to the Cruz de Ferro and back. Train left Santiago about 0930 and we were in Astorga late lunchtime.
The train from Astorga to Santander left about 0700 and we had to change at Palencia. We arrived in Santander with plenty of time to catch that days ferry to Plymouth. I doubt if you could do the total train journey in one day and catch that days ferry.
you might want to check if foot passengers are allowed on the Bilbao ferry service. They were not accepted in 2018 so Santander was the only option.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Buen Camino!
Have just booked the Alsa bus from Santiago to Santander, its quicker and cheaper than the trains. You can book on Alsa website. The coach goes via Oviedo where you have to change coaches.

Have just booked the Alsa bus from Santiago to Santander, its quicker and cheaper than the trains. You can book on Alsa website. The coach goes via Oviedo where you have to change coaches.
when I walked i was surprised at first that often the bus was faster, then realized except for the "commuter" train between cities on the northern coast, most trains had to travel out of the way to a hub while the bus tended to take a more direct route and as you found, cheaper.

2016 we took the train from SdC to Santander. Very easy about 30 plus minutes maybe more changing trains in Palencia . Time for a snack lunch at the station buffet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2006, but the tracks will not have changed! Santiago to Bilbao. A long, beautiful trip to Bilbao. As with your ferry, if that does indeed take foot passengers, the journey gives you time to be amazed at covering in minutes what took hours on foot. The scenery, particularly approaching Bilbao, is breathtaking. I am predujiced, as it is like parts of Scotland, except more majestic In size.

Hi there,
Many thanks in advance.
Chris
Hi, in 2008 after completing the Camino I travelled to Santander via bus. Very comfortable but a long journey. If you use the
bus make sure you have good and drink with you, the only long stop we made was in Oviedo.
Travelling back to the UK from Santander is a fantastic end to the Camino!
I wish you well.
Kevin UK

Hi there,
Many thanks in advance.
Chris
We took the bus to Ferrol, FEVE to Santander. A long journey but we stopped overnight in Ribadeo, Oviedo and LLanes. You could just stop once in Oviedo. Foot passengers can travel to UK from Santander but not from Bilbao as the latter has no pedestrian access to the port.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back