• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to SJPP travel

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Hi
I am considering doing the Camino Portuguese from Porto followed by the Camino Frances(again) back to back this year. I would be grateful for some help on options for travelling between Santiago and SJPP in late August
Cheers Paul

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would check flights to Pamplona, San Sebastian or Biarritz out of Santiago with cheap companies, such as RyanAir and Vueling. From there, a quick train/taxi/bus towards SJPP. Of course, the specifics would depend on your dates, but you probably can do that in less than a day with 100 euro.

You can probably go by train as well, but I'd guess it would be longer and maybe even more expensive.

According to Rome 2 Rio: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Santiago-de-Compostela/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

However since return into 'the real world' after walking the camino is always a shock another slower transport solution is to ride the daily RENFE train leaving 10:06 from Santiago arriving Irun/Hendaye 21:22 connecting with a later SNCF TGV train to Paris/Montparnasse. Booked from SdC a few days before desired departure that long train ride across Spain is truly a sentimental journey as it passes through much of the countryside recently walked on the CF.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@mspath
We've used that train route but only as far as Santander. Well worth doing and as you say it gives time to wind down and reflect. The overnight ferry (24hrs) from there to U.K is another bonus.

P.S.
To O.P. if you are a senior =over 60 remember that you can buy a senior rail pass for about 6€ this will entitle you to some good rail fare discounts.

However since return into 'the real world' after walking the camino is always a shock another slower transport solution is to ride the daily RENFE train leaving 10:06 from Santiago arriving Irun/Hendaye 21:22 connecting with a later SNCF TGV train to Paris/Montparnasse. Booked from SdC a few days before desired departure that long train ride across Spain is truly a sentimental journey as it passes through much of the countryside recently walked on the CF.
Plus you can actually see parts of the CF as you travel near to Reliegos I think it is. The Mesata is very strange, it feels like you're sitting still and it's just the telephone poles whizzing past.

I would check flights to Pamplona, San Sebastian or Biarritz out of Santiago with cheap companies, such as RyanAir and Vueling. From there, a quick train/taxi/bus towards SJPP. Of course, the specifics would depend on your dates, but you probably can do that in less than a day with 100 euro.

You can probably go by train as well, but I'd guess it would be longer and maybe even more expensive.

According to Rome 2 Rio: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Santiago-de-Compostela/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

I can't find any direct flights in early April from Santiago to San Sebastian or Pamplona. Any other suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
I am considering doing the Camino Portuguese from Porto followed by the Camino Frances(again) back to back this year. I would be grateful for some help on options for travelling between Santiago and SJPP in late August
Cheers Paul

I can't find any direct flights in early April from Santiago to San Sebastian or Pamplona. Any other suggestions?

Easiest option is Renfe train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye. SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Transfer from Irun to Hendaye via Metro Donostealdea if the Renfe train terminates at Irun.

You could try shortening the travel time by flying Santiago to Bilbao. Then PESA bus from Airport Bilbao to San Sebastian (with some buses connecting to Bayonne) then Renfe train San Sebastian to Irun, Metro Irun to Hendaye ... etc.

There are no airlines currently providing service from Santiago to Pamplona or San Sebastian. You might check the Aena Santiago website next summer, but I don't recall there ever being service between these locations.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back