• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to the coast and back in 3 days?

Malcolm C

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino De Santiago
Hi all, I’m currently in Sarria at the very beautiful Monestry on the hill. I’ve basically carved myself some spare days and I’m thinking whether I can make the coast and get back to fly on the 28th June?

I make it 5 x 20ish k walks to Santiago, I could make 4 if need be, but need to see how I can work this out. Date wise that’s Santiago on the 24th... giving me 3 days to get to the coast and back by bus?

I fly from Santiago on the 28th at 17:30.

Given that detail what do folk think? Possible coast by foot, bus straight back to catch flight either laste 27th or early 28th to meet that flight, I’d say 3:30 at the airport

Any info or suggestions are greatfully received

Best

Malcolm

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've never spent more than 3 days Sarria to Santiago, well 31/2 once. If you've been walking a while then your body should be nicely tuned. That'll give you plenty of slack. Three days to Fisterra is comfy too. The morning bus back from Fisterra will get you to the bus station in plenty of time to make the airport.
Buen caminos

There is a certain feeling of indestructibility upon arriving in Santiago.:) Ignore it. Have a fun day there, and take the morning bus to Fisterra the next day. Spend a day there walking to the lighthouse and to the beach (opposite directions from the center of town). Relax over a seafood dinner. Take the morning bus back to Santiago. Go home. ;);)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spend two days in Santiago and then bus to Finisterre and stay a night. Rushing there and back from SdC would not be a pleasant experience, while resting and reflecting in both places will be very rewarding

Yes! I absolutely agree with @Vacajoe. Don't ignore Santiago. It is a wonderful city. It is your city - a city made by pilgrims. Take a tour of the rooftop of the Cathedral, go to Tapas do Cardeal or Taberna do Bispo with camino friends to celebrate your journey, visit the morning market, do some shopping! Then, if you have any time left, catch a bus to Finisterre, and stay a night.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions, I’m going to sleep on it, I’m sure the right ‘way’will present it’s self on route, I now I’m a place that i don’t care where I stop or how many ks I do, does feel wrong to spoil that place but on the other hand I have this extra time :)

Malcolm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m going to sleep on it, I’m sure the right ‘way’will present it’s self on route,
Everyone views the after-Santiago trekking differently, but my reaction (I have done both Fisterra and Muxia, and the return from them) was "why am I walking?" I just wanted to be in Fisterra and Muxia, not "pilgrimage" to them. Then the hospitalero at Bela Muxia took the time to explain the pilgrimage history of Muxia. It certainly made Fisterra a modern tradition (oxymoron??), and Muxia more historically important.

Both are great, and so is the food in each. Bus access to Fisterra is more convenient and regular of the two. Bus service between the two falls into the inconvenient category, so you may have to pick one or the other unless you spend three days.

I just came back. I took their advice. I took train to Santiago.. felt frustrated with the rain and feeling lost on where to start.. I enjoyed the city. Took choochoo train ride.. ate. Took the 7pm bust to finisterre. Stayed at albergue and pension fin da terra y del camino.. they were extremely nice and great price. I walked to light house..which took me 30min taking my time to get there and 30min back.. then enjoyed finisterre. I ate 3x.. next to bay where all little restaurants are across from boats.. 4th over is the best!!. Then I took a bus back to Santiago stayed at minsterio menor.. and enjoyed Santiago b4 my train back. Hope this helped. I was alone and met so many kind individuals.

Hi,

I took the other option and enjoyed it. Reached Santiago on 25 th, then on 26 th continued by foot to Fisterra (3 days) and Muxía (another day). Having been in Santiago several times before, this seemed the right thing to do for me.

Especially the walk from Fisterra to Muxía was very nice, beautiful landscape (eucalyptus and pine forests, views on the ocean, little villages). Muxía is less busy than Fisterra. In Fisterra my favourite place for the sunset is "praya mar do fora". The lighthouse is too busy and I do not like the smell of the burning clothes.

BC
Alexandra

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back