• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago transportation to Madrid

JudyP

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2019
I am arriving Santiago on September 15 and my flight home is from Madrid on September 17 at 19: 30. There does not seem to be any good options. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Also wondering where would be a great place to stay.

Thank you for your help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am arriving Santiago on September 15 and my flight home is from Madrid on September 17 at 19: 30. There does not seem to be any good options. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Also wondering where would be a great place to stay.

Thank you for your help.

Which ‘no good’ options have you considered and discounted?

Perhaps have a day in Santiago on the 16th.

17 September 0738 train from Santiago arrives Madrid Chamartin 1312. Direct train from there to the airport .

Otherwise do the same thing a day earlier and have a day in Madrid.

Book the train soon. Go to loco2.com

I can recommend that train. I used it in 2015 & 2017. Its better if you book early, cheaper. But you will not have that option. Have a look on the renfe,site for prices and etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We hiked the Camino Frances in 2015 and 2017. I researched options on travelling back to Madrid from Santiago. The cheapest and fastest was by plane. We flew Ryan Air in 2015 and Air Iberia in 2017. Both were morning flights and it allowed us to relax most of the day in Madrid.

With regards to a good place to stay in Santiago, both times we stayed in San Martin Pinario which is adjacent to the Cathedral. Historic old building, we stayed in a former monk's room, with full bath, and reasonable prices.

Bob

Are you saying you leave 5 days from now?
The train is the way to go, but I would be booking it TODAY.
If you can't get a train on the 17th and need to go early,
I also would be booking a hotel in Madrid TODAY.

The closer you get to your travel day, the fewer spots and more expensive rooms in Madrid get.
There are many hostels in Madrid. As long as you are near a "tube" station, you should be able to get ot the airport ok.

You can do that hotel booking on www.booking.com

Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Judy, there is a very nice website called "Omio" that you can plug in your origin, destination, and date, then it will check all travel options via air, bus and train with the times and costs. Then you can select the one you prefer and purchase tickets. Bob

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I did check air with Ryan and Iberia. Unfortunately the flights are super early and get in early too. The options that arrive closer to my flight home on the 17th fly through Barcelona and are closer to $150-$200 and take 6.5 hours. The train option arrives at the airport 6.5 hours before my flight. The buses are 8 hours or more. I was just hoping for something unusual that I may not have been aware of.

Thank for the recommendations for lodging and timing of purchases for trains.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did find a 5.5 hour train that gets me to Madrid airport at 18:00. My flight back to Boston leaves at 19:30. Does anyone know if the trains run on time? Is 1.5 hours enough time? I am TSA pre.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. I did check air with Ryan and Iberia. Unfortunately the flights are super early and get in early too. The options that arrive closer to my flight home on the 17th fly through Barcelona and are closer to $150-$200 and take 6.5 hours. The train option arrives at the airport 6.5 hours before my flight. The buses are 8 hours or more. I was just hoping for something unusual that I may not have been aware of.

Thank for the recommendations for lodging and timing of purchases for trains.

The train option gets you to Madrid Chamartin first of all. From there 30 minutes on the metro and you’re in downtown Madrid. You could be in the Prado by 1430 for a couple of hours.

There’s an excellent bus from Atocha station (15 mins walk from the Prado) to the airport every 15-20 minutes.

Pardon me for saying - but if you’ve ruled out walking, planes, trains and automobiles - perhaps your expectations are a little ahead of what’s available.

Anyway - it’s late summer and you're on the Camino and close to Santiago. That’s better than most of us right now.

Via con Dios.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The train option gets you to Madrid Chamartin first of all. From there 30 minutes on the metro and you’re in downtown Madrid. You could be in the Prado by 1430 for a couple of hours.

There’s an excellent bus from Atocha station (15 mins walk from the Prado) to the airport every 15-20 minutes.

Pardon me for saying - but if you’ve ruled out walking, planes, trains and automobiles - perhaps your expectations are a little ahead of what’s available.

Anyway - it’s late summer and you're on the Camino and close to Santiago. That’s better than most of us right now.

Via con Dios.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did find a 5.5 hour train that gets me to Madrid airport at 18:00. My flight back to Boston leaves at 19:30. Does anyone know if the trains run on time? Is 1.5 hours enough time? I am TSA pre.
Don’t even think about it! If Apple would let me I’d have typed that as all one word.

So when I see on the website from Santiago to madrid airport, it really means Madrid city center?? That changes my opinion.

I love to walk and the Camino has been fantastic.

Unfortunately San Martin Pinario is not available for the 15 and 16th. Any other suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So when I see on the website from Santiago to madrid airport, it really means Madrid city center?? That changes my opinion.

I love to walk and the Camino has been fantastic.

No.

The trains from Santiago go to Madrid Chamartin which is the north-of-downtown station.

From there you have many options.

Metro direct to airport.
Metro to Sol or others (downtown)
Metro to Atocha or others (the Prado)
Etc

But!

Don’t leave yourself short of time. The Santiago to Madrid train can easily be 30 mins late. The bus from Atocha can take 45 or 75 minutes. The security lines at the airport can look deserted or like the crowd-scene from Ghandi.

Hmm. There are remarkably few cities with airports in their centres and even fewer where the major railway hubs are adjacent to their airports. RENFE's website https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_CL5t shows plenty of travel options to Madrid on the 16th, mirrored on the 17th. Mainline trains from Santiago to Madrid do not stop at Barajas. Taxi, Metro, or more practically the Cercanias from Atocha / Chamartin will get you to the airport without confusion, distress or strain.

Everyone has been so helpful. Got a train with plenty of time to spare. Thanks again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I suggest the train... the train station is walking distance from old town in Santiago and leaves about 1500 in the afternoon, gets in by 2030. As far as places to stay... depends on your budget. Old town Santiago was best for me because of convenience.. Hotel Praza Quintana!! 👍🏻

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back